What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to keep LFS alive?

I just got some live LFS from a trade so I put it on the top of some of my VFTs and purple pitcher and now I look at it and it looks like it's drying out. The question is how do I keep it alive now that I have some?

Keep it wet. I have pots full of live sphagnum sitting in trays along with my dews and sarrs and it grows just fine.

Isolated, it tends to dry out. If you have a thick mat on your pots, the colony will support itself.

Bury it a little in the media; dig a small trench, stick the sphagnum in, then cover it lightly with some of the displaced media and pack it down. It doesn't matter if some of the green is covered by soil, so long as there are a few green parts sticking out - new strands will grow from the exposed portions so long as you keep it sufficiently moist.
~Joe

Ok I'm gonna go do that right now.

I keep mine wet, lit, and on top of sphagnum peat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Sep. 09 2006,4:27)]Bury it a little in the media; dig a small trench, stick the sphagnum in, then cover it lightly with some of the displaced media and pack it down. It doesn't matter if some of the green is covered by soil, so long as there are a few green parts sticking out - new strands will grow from the exposed portions so long as you keep it sufficiently moist.
~Joe
That method works. Has never failed me.

I gotta agree, I love the way It looks on my S. purpurea, and I cant wait for it to grow into my bog.

That Is As soon as I get motivated to finish it..
biggrin.gif

As long as it has a good connection to soft water and gets bright light, it'll grow like dandelions in the lawn. Only more slowly.

Back