What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch out for jerks in cars

Today, I was just happily riding my bike to the nearest Rite-Aid, and was coming up to the parking lot where cars come out. I saw a car coming out of there, trying to turn onto the road. I assumed he saw me, because he was not moving for at least 20 seconds for him to see me. I began to bike past, but he crashed into me. I fell over, my front bike wheel now bent. I got up, shocked and shaking. He backed up and asked several times if I was ok, and I said "yes" but he never attempted to get out of the car or call the police or anything. He just drove off. A kind lady saw it and drove me home, where my mom contacted the police for a hit-and-run. Unfortunately, I didn't get the license plate number. But still, he should have at least gotten out of his car, and helped me. I am fine, just bruised, and now a bit wiser.

-Ben

What kind of car was it? I can invision a guy in a BMW or a Benz hitting you and not getting out. Hope you find em'.

Dunno, but not fancy. It happened fast.

-Ben

I was just watching Cops and the cop was pulling the people out of the car... all the sudden squeeling tires- and the camera rotates 1/4 turn or so to show a guy on a bike just get plastered... At least yours wasn't that bad! Hope you find them....
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was just watching Cops and the cop was pulling the people out of the car... all the sudden squeeling tires- and the camera rotates 1/4 turn or so to show a guy on a bike just get plastered... At least yours wasn't that bad! Hope you find them....

I saw that episode just moments ago- that was freakin' INTENSE.

Ben, sorry to hear what happened, but I'm glad you're alright! If the person who hit you got caught they are in biiiiiig trouble; the law don't look at hit and runs with much sympathy. It's good that there was someone who saw what happened and helped you get home though. Crazy, though...

I hate jerks like that. They need to be strung up and beat with a cane. Now you have to pay for a new tire and he is off doing his thing not paying attention and still driving. Now you know to always look at the plate number. I hope the catch the A-hole and revoke his license. Don;t forget the cane part too. Arrg that burns me up. I am glad your ok though.

Lol, don't worry, I always carry a spare cane with me.

Thanks for your sympathy guys. I really hope somebody managed to see this guys plate.

-Ben

Ok, so my mom and I were going to the UPS store (which is right next to Rite-Aid) to mail a package, but forgot that it was closed today, so we began to exit the parking lot when a guy backed up and almost hit us. I looked at the car, it was silver. The guy in it had glasses and a similar beard. I told my mom, and of course she got furious and went to talk to him. He said no, that wasn't me, and if I was ok. He had a similar voice. I wrote down his plate number. I think it odd for there to be a guy with glasses, silver car, beard, middle aged, being at the same place around the same time. I think it's him, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know if something happens.

-Ben

that just enrages me! how can someone run another person over, especially a minor and just drive off. that must be very scary for the driver too but that's no excuse. sounds like he took advantage of the fact that you're not an adult, also and the fact that you were shaken up. just because you think you're okay initially doesn't necessarily mean that you really are- as can be evidenced by your bruises and the condition of your bike. i hope you guys catch him and get him the stiffest punishment.

The moral of the story is you have to watch every possible direction a car could come from.  Parking lots are the worst because a lot of crazy stuff happens there and drivers are going different directions at different speeds focused on an empty parking space or a green light and paying no attention to who might be walking or biking by.

It would be nice to think it's just that guy but it isn't.  None of us are as good of a driver as we believe and none of us are as attentive as we think we are.  I pretty much quit riding a bike when I moved to CT because it's too crazy.  It's great for walking because so much is so close, but I don't have enough of a death wish to ride a bike to get there.

More than 40,000 people are killed on US roads every year.  No one knows how many experience something like you did, but it must be an unbelievably big number.  Forget the terrorists; we're our own worst enemy.

Back