What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kinda Catapillar is this?  Looks

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Found this on my mother-in-laws back step today.
147528700O830716607.jpg

Notice anything about it? Here's a hint.
147528695O157014378.jpg

For those of you going huh? what?
147528958O427408787.jpg

Looks like this guy is gonna be lunch for some parasitic wasps

Oh isn't that a tomato-hornworm? I think the little white things may be parasitic wasp eggs.

You are correct and in a day or two the caterpillar will be consumed but the wasp young. YES! another one gone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarraceniaobsessed @ Sep. 11 2006,8:12)]You are correct and in a day or two the caterpillar will be consumed but the wasp young. YES! another one gone.
He will get his just desserts or is it supposed to be "He will just be dessert" ?

The horn indicates it's in the Sphinx moth family. IIRC, the tomato hornworm is more gray ....

Bummer about the parasites....
117.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Sep. 11 2006,9:17)]The horn indicates it's in the Sphinx moth family.
Thanks Ron
cool.gif
, It I Googled Sphinx moth caterpillars and came up with a white-lined Sphinx moth Picture

smile_h_32.gif

Those worms are a pain! I love thoe wasps!
biggrin.gif

The caterpillars can be trouble, but the moths are cool.

confused.gif

They make good food... for smaller social insects... mmmmmmm

three years ago i found a caterpilliar of a Polyphemus Moth. it was the biggest bug i have have ever held(i mean by weight).
Picture- I had the 5th instar
alex

Back