What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That's not good

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Have you guys heard what's been going on in Australia? Ever since Steve Irwin passed away, they have found 10 stingrays dead, 2 with their tails cut off. Looks like some people are taking out their anger on the stingrays
smile_h_32.gif
Did they ever stop to think that Steve Irwin would probably be really upset if he found out this was happening
confused.gif
He loved animals, all different types, this was an accident and those poor stingrays should not have to pay for it. I hope they find out who did it.

I'm desgusted.

I know, it's pretty disgusting
confused.gif
I heard it on the news last night.

Ohhh.. I remember catching those things like crazy when I was fishing in the bay. Those tails flip around really fast (think about the Alien movies). I caught one as big as the hood of a car
laugh.gif

I've heard they are great to eat but they are so gentle I can't kill one. Besides, Stingray Filets doesn't sound appetizing...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 13 2006,4:01)]Ohhh.. I remember catching those things like crazy when I was fishing in the bay. Those tails flip around really fast (think about the Alien movies). I caught one as big as the hood of a car
laugh.gif

I've heard they are great to eat but they are so gentle I can't kill one. Besides, Stingray Filets doesn't sound appetizing...
Ummmm....Hmmmmm.....ok.

They are not good to eat...
confused.gif

They must be better than whelks, which we mistook for conch
smile_t_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 13 2006,4:01)]Ohhh.. I remember catching those things like crazy when I was fishing in the bay. Those tails flip around really fast (think about the Alien movies). I caught one as big as the hood of a car
laugh.gif

How do you catch stingrays like crazy? Aren't they really rare to catch? What bay were you in??

I've never seen just one
smile.gif
We were using squid and chicken.
My dad cought a Dogfish , too. I think that's like a little shark. I never rise before 11:30 so I missed that.

We were in the panhandle.... Aren't there lots of bays?

Edit: The biggest looked like this one but bigger.

http://www.skipperjigs.com/images/stingray.jpg

The "nose" was triangular. I remember it had a barb so it wasn't a skate.

Oh ok, that's what I was confused about, they're so rare to catch and you were catching them like crazy,lol.

Everytime I fish in a bay I catch them. Not the ocean, though.

Once I caught a piece of driftwood, atleast 20 pounds, covered in huge orange gorgonians. Would have looked SO good in my reef, but right before i could get it high enough to net, SNAP!

Sting ray is pretty good to eat.  You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops?  Well, not all of those are scalops.  Only a certain percentage of them.  The other percent is stingray IIRC.  I learned that in Bio class.  If the mucles fibers are running up and down its a real scalop it ifs running the other direction then its stingray.

But killing stingrays just to kill them because they Killed Steve Irwin is rediculous! Its just wrong. People don;t realize these are WILD animals and unpredictable. Steve more than likely didn;t read the animal well enough and got popped. It just happened to be a fatal pop. I;m sorry for his death, but that happens sometimes dealing with wild animals. Those people killing stingrays to kill stingrays need to be arrested!

I wonder how many stingrays were murdered in the week before he died. I've seen fishermen (never a fisherwoman) be barbaric to things they didn't want to catch. Maybe people are only paying attention now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Sep. 13 2006,8:54)]Oh ok, that's what I was confused about, they're so rare to catch and you were catching them like crazy,lol.
They really aren't that rare to catch. I live on the space coast in Florida and catch them a lot when using live or cut bait. There are some that will actually hit a lure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat.  You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops?  Well, not all of those are scalops.  Only a certain percentage of them.  The other percent is stingray IIRC.  I learned that in Bio class.  
I used to believe that too until I actually ate a stingray (was really poor and hungry). I have seen no evidence that this is actually done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat.  You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops?  Well, not all of those are scalops.  Only a certain percentage of them.  The other percent is stingray IIRC.  I learned that in Bio class.  If the mucles fibers are running up and down its a real scalop it ifs running the other direction then its stingray.
I have never EVER tried to pass off stingray for scallops... That's wrong and deceptive. However, I did work for a chef once who passed rabbit off for chicken (jerk chicken salad). We ran rabbit as an easter sunday special and, needless to say, we sold none. We had all this rabbit left over so he made jerk chicken salad.
Bruce was the most creative chef I ever worked with and speaking of scallops... I'm getting my rear end kicked on the line one night and he walks off line. He starts chopping chocolate and puts in a double boiler. He begins to dip scallops in the chocolate. This is Saturday night! And he's making chocolate covered scallops...
Whoops, got off subject...

Killing stingrays for no apparent reason is bad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Sep. 14 2006,7:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat.  You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops?  Well, not all of those are scalops.  Only a certain percentage of them.  The other percent is stingray IIRC.  I learned that in Bio class.  
I used to believe that too until I actually ate a stingray (was really poor and hungry). I have seen no evidence that this is actually done.
it is actually done... I've had to send back scallops because what I got was obviously not a scallop (I no longer use that purveyor). Places like Red Lobster, and I do not say this disparagingly, are corporate chain restaurants looking to cut corners in order to make a profit anyway they can.

I think skates, not stingrays, get cut into scallop shapes. A close relative, but not the same fish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 14 2006,8:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat.  You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops?  Well, not all of those are scalops.  Only a certain percentage of them.  The other percent is stingray IIRC.  I learned that in Bio class.  If the mucles fibers are running up and down its a real scalop it ifs running the other direction then its stingray.
I have never EVER tried to pass off stingray for scallops... That's wrong and deceptive. However, I did work for a chef once who passed rabbit off for chicken (jerk chicken salad). We ran rabbit as an easter sunday special and, needless to say, we sold none. We had all this rabbit left over so he made jerk chicken salad.
Bruce was the most creative chef I ever worked with and speaking of scallops... I'm getting my rear end kicked on the line one night and he walks off line. He starts chopping chocolate and puts in a double boiler. He begins to dip scallops in the chocolate. This is Saturday night! And he's making chocolate covered scallops...
Whoops, got off subject...

Killing stingrays for no apparent reason is bad.
Chocolate covered scallops?? Ewwww!

yeah, they were gross. But you always tell the chef that they're good. His response "funny, everyone tells me that the scallops are good but no one wants a second one."

Back