What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's a difference between

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
I know we have had a few posts in the past where someone has tried to get people to use the right words when they are posting and to spell words correctly. Usually they go in one ear and out the other. However I will give this a try in the hopes that some of you will give it a try.

I have noticed that many people are using the word "loose" instead of "lose".

First lets tackle "lose".
If you lose something it's gone or dead. eg. If you guys don't quite using "loose" instead of "lose" I'm gonna lose my mind!
smile_n_32.gif

Second lets take on the word "loose".
When you loose something, you release it. When you guys loose a plant I'm left wondering who you dropped it on.
If something is loose it is not attached. eg. The loose end of the rope was dangling in the water.

Kapish??

There's another meaning for loose, Steve, and you have to lose something just one time to start the path toward being loose.  Now, once you've lost that, you would think, "I have nothing left to lose".  But you have plenty to lose when you are loose, right?  Since this is a family oriented site, I'll say no more.  Loose lips sink ships.  I hope I didn't lose you on this, Steve.
smile_m_32.gif

I thought I was going to loose my mind reading all of this. Man you're really lose with your uses of the words lose and loose. It was really confusing.
But thanks to your post I have it all straight now. I'll be able to use the correct word now and you won't have to loose your mind over any of my posts anymore.

Hange lose Dude.

Nice sig line Ozzy. As Emeril would say, "Pork fat rules!". Now don't you go loosing any sleep over that grammar and word usage stuff. Capiche?

you know youre just gonna get hit right back for saying that crap...

biggrin.gif

I have a friend who always refers to himself as a looser when he's typing about feeling down. I usually get a little chuckle out of it - makes dealing with his self-pity a little more bearable. Does that make me a bad friend? ;)
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Sep. 16 2006,12:21)]I have a friend who always refers to himself as a looser when he's typing about feeling down. I usually get a little chuckle out of it - makes dealing with his self-pity a little more bearable. Does that make me a bad friend? ;)
~Joe

Only if you let him know that he can't even get that right...

smilie4.gif

Your, you're. They're, their, there... Sigh. Homonyms. They're pretty easy to handle if you THINK for a second.

"You're" is a contaction of "you are." While "your" is one single, smiple word.

Same thing with "they're" - "they are." The only pair that someone could reasonably confuse is "there" and "their." It's just a matter of seeing it. If you care, it'll stick eventually.

You're good a growing plants.
Your plants look very nice.
They're his plants.
The plants are over there.
Those are their plants, not mine.

Homonyms: they're your FRIENDS.

What about it's, contraction "it is," and its, the possessive pronoun? Those ones drive me crazy.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Sep. 16 2006,1:39)]Homonyms: they're your FRIENDS.
yes, they are, but you're talking about homophones!

homonyms are when there are two words with the same pronounciation and same spelling, but two different meanings. such as: bar, a type of graph, and bar, where I get my beer.

homophones are when two words sound the same but are spelled differently.

sorry, but this IS a grammar thread..
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]homonyms are when there are two words with the same pronounciation and same spelling, but two different meanings. such as: bar, a type of graph, and bar, where I get my beer.

Right, right. Wasn't thinking. I mean, it's in the name even.
smile_n_32.gif
Oh well, everyone makes mistakes; I'm more concerned with the frequent offenders.
smile_n_32.gif

I think I'm beginning to loose my mind!
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

Edit: Never mind. My daughter told me I had already looseded it!
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 15 2006,5:25)]If you guys don't quite using "loose" instead of "lose" I'm gonna lose my mind!
Now lets tackle the other one that I see a lot.

Quit
Quiet
Quite

3 completely different words that get posted in all sorts of funny ways... sorta like the example above.. hehe

Steve

Thought I was done with school.

Im still in it and I dont know what you guys are talking about! This is why I barely pass english!

I still have trouble with nouns and adjectives (Though I rember once he talks aobut).

PFf Last year of English! *whoot whoot* Well untill collage..

Oh oh oh, there's another! College and collage. Or how about love and Louvre? ;P
~Joe

Are we running out of interesting things to talk about? Sorry English was not my strong subject. LOL I'm more of a math and science kinda guy.

This post did bring up some good issues and I am more than likely an offender so keep me straight guys!
smile_n_32.gif

Homophone? Ain't that Andy Dicks cell phone?

I think it's a cell phone that only calls other cell phones. Don't even get me started about bicycles.

Back