What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog trip / Nursery Visit - Pictures

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Gale and I started out our Saturday morning at Cranesville Swamp. This area was totally different then what I was used to seeing. The only other area that I have seen to compare it to is the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
There was almost no water visible, but the ground was saturated. Your feet sunk into the ground.
CP’s that we saw were Drosera intermedia, Drosera rotundifolia, and Sarracenia purpurea.

The swamp:

bog1.jpg

bog2.jpg

Plants:

Drot.jpg

Dinter.jpg

Spurp2.jpg

Spurp.jpg

The Sarracenia purpurea grew much better here then in the Pine Barrens. The Pine Barrens had small plants that where not very big and I never saw any large clumps of plants.
At the Cranesville Swamp the Sarracenia purpurea where in huge clumps of plants. The one clump had to be over 3’ across.

The Cransville Swamp is not all that large and after a few hours we where done looking around. I saw on the internet that a state park nearby, Swallow Falls, which had some nice waterfalls in it.
So we headed over there to check them out. I noticed that there were a few caches in the park and I thought that I might as well look for them while I was here. Gale never cached before and I gave him the coordinates to put into his GPS. He’s hooked. LOL
Here is 1 of the waterfalls:

waterfall1.jpg

waterfall2.jpg

Then Sunday we both torn down our campsites and you guessed it, hit 2 more caches in the park we were camping in. Then it was off to Carnivorous Plant Nursery run by Michael Szesze. I visited him 2 years ago and he had a great setup. He has done some expanding, and has a lot more plants then before.

Here is the greenhouse:

cpn7.jpg

cpn6.jpg

cpn5.jpg

cpn1.jpg

Some an outdoor growing area:

cpn3.jpg

con4.jpg

The new areas:
This is a small portion of the VFT growing area:

cpn2.jpg

2 new Sarracenia growing areas:

cpn4.jpg

cpn.jpg

Very nice. If you want to see a place that'll compete with the pine barrens, come on down for a visit. Alot of nice caches too, even a cp one.

confused.gif

Caches? Is that like some Crazy GPS coordanits and stuff?

A cache is like a group.

Like your internet cache has all your records.

No, Here's what it is.

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

More info can be found here.

Geocaching

Back to the subject at hand.
hey there El Gecko
Thanx so much for the great photos of Cranesville swamp,
and your friends nursery.
Scratching another place, that I don't have togo because someone took really gr8 shots of the area.

Planning on learning how to use my GPS unit and maybe do some geocaching myself.
Lois

Thanks for the comments. It was a great trip.
I'm starting to think of next years trip.

nepenthes_ak,
I was not really planning on getting into Geocaching when I first got my GPS. I got it because I hike, canoe and mountain bike a lot.
I heard of Geocaching and looked into it after I got my GPS. Since I'm already out in the woods hiking why not have a little fun hunting for the caches.
Also it's a great way to find new parks, or interesting areas as many people place caches at points of interest.

Great photos! Sounds like yet another wonderful trip. And all those plants in the nursery! Thanks for the pics...that was fun.
smile.gif

I'm am planning on getting a GPS, hopefully soon. Then I'm gonna be out geocaching and y'all will never see me again. lol
smile_n_32.gif
I already have one sortof-cache hidden but its not registered yet. I have a Travelbug in it but haven't finalized its "mission" yet.

Back