What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filtered water from fridge

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Can I water my plants with the filtered water that comes out of my fridge? Is there any way I can tell if the water is filtered enough cause my bf doesn't know how well it is filtered.

Nope- that is most likely a charcoal filter.. so it removes chemicals etc... but nothing for TDS (total disolved solids)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Sep. 17 2006,11:28)]Nope- that is most likely a charcoal filter.. so it removes chemicals etc...  but nothing for TDS (total disolved solids)
Thanks

Some fridges have RO filters built in, but it's uncommon. You'd need to get a TDS testing kit to be sure, so don't start using that water before testing it. You can get water testing kits from chemistry supply stores, or generic scientific supply stores. Try Carolina Biological Supply.
~Joe

Ok here's another question. I have a pond outside. It's got 2 huge goldfish and approx 8 frogs in it. I do not put any chemicles into the water, i just put the hoze in the pond and fill it up. So can I use that pond water to water my plants? Wouldn't that be like taking regular water and letting it sit for 72 hours and then watering your plants with it? Would the mess that the fish and frogs make be bad for my plants?

Really Joe? In the years I worked with appliances I'd never heard of that. But it was years ago. I would Highly like to see a link to one though!!
Andrew

I have a TDS tester, I can test your water for you. I tested my tap water here and it's ok to use on cp's.

I would think that tap water in fla. have a high chance of being ok for cp's.

I would give you my address and offer to test your water for you but I'm afraid that if I do, I would have a big flock of snowbirds migrate to my front yard. I really don't want to have to shoot anymore of them. We already are over run with them now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Sep. 17 2006,9:37)]Ok here's another question. I have a pond outside. It's got 2 huge goldfish and approx 8 frogs in it. I do not put any chemicles into the water, i just put the hoze in the pond and fill it up. So can I use that pond water to water my plants? Wouldn't that be like taking regular water and letting it sit for 72 hours and then watering your plants with it? Would the mess that the fish and frogs make be bad for my plants?
Niki, The only thing that letting the water set for 72hrs will do is get rid of the chlorine in the water. The disolved minerals are still there. The mess/feces from the fish and frogs may not hurt your plants immediatly, but they will leave nutrients in the soil that will eventually build up enough to kill your plants. The same goes for most tap water. My tap water has an average TDS of 64. Unfortunatly, most of it's in the form of NaCl or salt which is a result of the chemical reaction between the chemicals they use in the treatment of the town water supply to make it drinkable. I can use it to water my plants, but experience has shown that by the end of 8 months my plants will be dead from the salt build up in their soil. That's not to say your tap water will do the same. If the TDS for your water is low enough, it should be OK.

Also don't forget that if you add waer that has say x ammount of TDS in it and you let the water evaporate and then add more water with x ammount of TDS then you now have 2x worth of TDS in the water. Since the TDS do not evaporate with the water, they just build up and build up eventualy getting a reading higher than your plants can take. So if your filling the pond with tap water then your conatantly adding more and more TDS from the drinking water to the pond water. Not to mention the other stuff like Steve mentioned. Find a way to collect rain water from the roof and use that. That is what I do and I haven't had a problem YET. But this does remind me to empty out my dishes and start with fresh water. LOL Sometimes I knwo what to do, but don't practice it.

Thanks for the advice. I've been using distilled water that I buy from the grocery store. I put out some buckets to collect rain in but it hasn't rained here for a couple days.

Thanks for the offer 0zzy, but I'm ok. You won't have to shoot anymore snowbirds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Sep. 18 2006,8:12)]Thanks for the advice. I've been using distilled water that I buy from the grocery store. I put out some buckets to collect rain in but it hasn't rained here for a couple days.

Thanks for the offer 0zzy, but I'm ok. You won't have to shoot anymore snowbirds.
Trust me... it'll rain in FLA! Isn't there a Hurricane Niki already on its way?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Hehe Jim Scott Scoot, that's something 0zzy would say! He's gotten to you hasn't he
confused.gif

Back