What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

something old, something new......................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 24 2006,10:58)]I guess it's better than having crystal meth recipes memorized.
Where did that come from? That comment was totally out in left-field.

JLAP............thats just Bruce....figured you would have him figured out by now, you no newbie
smile_n_32.gif

Lauderdale is right..............tons of practice is needed if your going to pack a firearm all day. handguns are difficult to learn to shoot well at targets much over 20 yards, though at one point i was darn good at picking off pop cans at 80 yards with a lil Ruger MkII 22 auto loader using iron sights, granted i was seated with my arms rested on my knees and had no pressure to make the shots, i was just plinking for fun by myself. still kicking myself for selling that pistol. a pistol is a poor weapon for a gun fight, it works but a scattergun or rifle is best suited. granted a pistol is much better than nothing.

i have minimal to worry about out in public around here, infact carrying a handgun all the time would be a pain cause im constantly going into the local schools for work. my worry is someone breaking into my house while we are home. in such a case my lil 45-70 loaded with 300 grain hollow points is ideal. the sights are very visible in poor light and take nothing to aim at close quarters. hope to god i never have to use it but its by my bed just in case.

If that was a reference to me then I don't appreciate it. Yeah I used to use Tina but then I quit. I never made it nor do I know how.

I'll just ignore that.

Man I'd like to show off my granfathers and my fathers and mine collection of weapons! You'd really like the one 12 Ga we have with pure silver japanese etching.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Umm...this is a very male dominated post, so I thought I'd say something. hehe The wood on the rifles is nice...and I've never seen a blue rifle before.
smile_n_32.gif

PAK, lol very few full blow women gun nuts.......however i know quite a few women hunters and shooters. my wife has been hunting for longer than i have, both of her daughters cant wait to hunt. my mom hunted a bit when she was younger. few women on the hunting/shooting board i frequent but i think thats mainl do to the fact they dont want to deal with all the guys though the few that do put up with us are very well thought of and respected and are very good at giving us crap
smile_n_32.gif

No, JLAP, it wasn't a reference to you because I didn't know about that. I got a kick out of Rattler reciting detailed gun specs and for some reason thought how that was better than . . . oh, never mind.

As for the wisdom of keeping a 45-70 by the bed for protection, I'd first clear the house and shoot a few rounds into the walls to remind yourself how far they can travel through the house. Especially if you have sheetrock walls.

Instead of relying on a gun, I'd rather have a dog, especially a well bred & trained German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois or other powerful herding breed. They live to keep everything in its place and a bad person wouldn't be halfway through a window before the dog would arrive to ask if he wouldn't rather be somewhere else. And, if not, there'd be enough of a ruckus that you'd be more than ready for the situation by the time it reaches your room. And a dog doesn't blast through a wall into the kids sleeping in the next room.

Ok, good. Now we can move on
biggrin.gif
Sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Bruce.......300 grain hollow points out of a 45-70 arent known for excellent penetration. i hunt using hard cast which will punch through alot of things. the 300HP's dont take much to stop and i do have better than sheet rock walls.

actually i trust my lil sckipperkee for watching the house more than most large dogs. its a small town and it wouldnt take much for someone to make friends with a dog that will spend a good deal of time outside. that spastic lil brat will flip out and let me know if my brother comes through the door and she loves him
smile_n_32.gif
ive had no problems befriending other ppls dogs to the point i could enter their yards without them being home and had no fear of the dog requardless of breed. because of this i do not doubt someone being able to do the same in my yard. ill keep my twitchy lil ankle biter anyday. besides she has an actual loud bark and not a lil yap

Dang,
No wonder, I never learned to shoot accurately.My Dad said "dont' use the gun unless you aim to kill what you are shooting at". We weren't allowed to practice on tin cans or whattever. Ammunition is too expensive.
Funny how I always saw and shot at more deer the first day of hunting seasothen the guys did.:)

LOL

Lauderdale you have a point and good advice too.  I still want twins just to have them, but probably only carry one like you suggested.

Rattler I can figure out most of the technical stuff by reading it.  Its not total Greek.  I was just giving you the WTF treatment.  LOL  The same treatment I get when I start talking about orchids and CPs to some people.  
smile_l_32.gif
I am interested.  I get when you say 45-70 your talking about a 45 caliber gun, but what does the 70 mean?  Also hollow points can put a mighty big home in something, but thats also why they stop because they mushroom.  I wish I could say the same about my walls being better than sheet-rock, but they are not.  Just the exterior walls are.  So I would have mine loaded with the bullets that are not supposed to go through walls and hit someone in the next room.  I don't know the name of the bullets right off hand.  At least for the first 2 or 3 rounds then have the big stuff ready.  Nothing there saying you have to load all the same bullets into the mag.
smile_m_32.gif

Back to the practice shooting. How many rounds come in a box normally? I recall buying a box of target shot for about 10 bucks. I think it was 50 rounds. 20 bucks a week for the minimum could add up I guess, but couldn't you reload the spent shell casings for cheaper than that? So buy them one and reuse? I am sure if you bought in bulk you could get rounds cheaper right? Heck I guess I didn;t realize the price of it. I always thought it was cheap to shoot. After the gun purchase that is.

the names of cartridges can get confusing, especially if yah start chatting about the old black powder rounds as the Brits named stuff differently than the US. ok with the fact that the 45-70 is a 125-127 years old

45=45 caliber bullet, .458-ish inch actually, i say -ish because alot of the old guns had bores that varry a bit from each other and it generally actually falls in using a .457-.459 inch bullet, with my modern rifle i run .458 jacketed bullets and .459 cast bullets through my gun.

70=70 grains of black powder which was the original load, i use smokeless so it means nothing to me other than its the name of the cartridge.

really want to confuse thing? the 45-70-350 and 45-70-405 are all names for the same 45-70 round just with different bullets. things was confusing 100 years ago. even more screwy the 50 Express, 50-100, 50-105 and 50-110 are actually all the same round with different loads of black powder in the same case.

the Brits did things differently, the 577/450 used the old 577 case with a 45 caliber bullet. case comes before bullet

then yah got the 45 colt which uses everythign from .451 to .454 bullets but not the .458 bullets of the 45-70, 458 Winchester Magnum, 458 Lott, ect. the 44 mag actually uses bullets that are .429 inches wide. the 38 special and 357 magnum both use bullets that are .357 inches as do the 35 cal rifles such as the 35 Whelen and 350 Rigby. the 7x57 Mauser and 275 Rigby are the same round.

lots of variation. really want to blow your mind on the number of rounds that are/was out there? pick up a new printing of Cartridges of the World by the late Frank Barnes, its a $20-$25 book that is entertaining to flip through and he still missed some.

as for cost. varries greatly. i havent started relaoding for my 223, i prefer to pay $10-$20/50 rounds then mess with those dinky things. i reload my 45-70 shells for around $.50 each sometimes less if i have used the same case several times but i buy new brass frequently, a box of new rounds from the store would be between $20 and $50/20 depending on brand and load. i run bullets through my various guns that cost anywhere from $.10 to $1.50 each thats before brass, powder and primers. reloading dies run between $19 a set for something like basic 30-06 dies to the $260 a set ill spend on for the 50-110 if i ever get it built though between $20 and $50 is average. my lil hand held reloading press cost $25, hand held primer seater cost $15, and my best investment so far the electric powder dispenser/scale cost $300(sold a rifle to buy it and am VERY glad i did).

if you want to get a good idea of whats out there for a given round, check out Midway USA, they have most of the stuff your going to need and if they dont have it chances are its going to take quite a bit of searching to find.

confused yet?

uhhg, information overload... ill stick to my ants..

lol, imagine what i could do if i REALLY wanted to impress yah
smile_n_32.gif
just gave yah a taste of the old black powder rounds......heck the Sharps Company cartridges would be a thread unto themselves. other than factory rounds you have wildcats and proprietary rounds. both moder and "obsolete" rounds though technically very few rounds are obsolete, if you can find brass and bullets and dies the old ones work just fine. heck the 30-06 is 100 years old. lots of history to work through. add that tho the fact that both the USA and Austrailia have a long history of wildcating it makes things more confusing. the Brits and other Europeans(mainly Germans and Fins) have a heck of a history as well. im mostly familiar with whats happened here but i am also interested in the old African rounds made by the Brits and Germans. been reading on some of the Aussie stuff as well lately.

What is wildcatting? Is there where the casing is different from the actual bullet?

ok heres my best go at explaining it:

wildcatting: taking an existing factory case and necking it up or down and/or improving its shape. these are not offered by the normal ammunition companies as loaded ammunition. wild cat cartridges can become factory rounds examples: 35 Whelen(30-06 necked up to take .358 bullets, no other changes) 25-06(30-06 necked down to take .257 bullets). my 375WSM is a wildcat, its the 300WSM necked up to take .375 bullets.

on the other side of the coin you have Proprietay rounds. these are rounds that are availible as loaded ammunition from a single source. a good example are the Weatherby rounds. this also has some grey areas. i have a 338-06(30-06 necked up to 338) technically A-Square(a small company) standerdized the round around 8 years ago making it a proprietary round as well as a wildcat. Weatherby brought out a rifle in 338-06 6 years ago and offered loaded rounds for it, technically at this point its still proprietary though if the main ammunition companies start loading it it will be a factory round as well since i dont believe A-Square has copywrited it to the point of not letting anyone else load for it as long as they stamp "338-06 A-Square" on the headstamp.

its sorta muddy waters, most any wildcat can become a factory cartridge, infact the 280 Remington Ackley Improved recently was standerdized. and most factory rounds started life as either wildcats or proprietary rounds.

It is starting to make a little more sence.  I am starting to visualize it now.  The more you explain the clearer it becomes.  Thank you very much for explaining it Sheridan. I will have to go read some more once I get some free time.

BTW  this is off topic, but were you able to see the Nano Viv in the links I sent you?

lol thanks for reminding me, was on dial up at home and only saw about half of it. will check it out again. cool stuff, going to have to find some of that pipe

I might have some 20mm cannon brass around here somewhere and you should be able to do some serious wildcatting with those. My father brought them home from a test range years ago, along with a 30mm dummy round. You could neck that one down to .22 and invent a 22-1200. That could be the ideal varmint round for Hummer drivers.

GOOD LOAWD. If the number your talking about Bruce,22-1200, means what I think it means that is going to be one speedy 22 round. LOL Wouldn't that be like putting a 22 round in a berrett riffle casing? Heck the cizilian round of the berret can almost penetrate the plate armor of the army hummer!

prolly not as good as you think Bruce, doubt i could find a powder slow enough to work and it would prolly burn out the barrel in 2 shots. i do actually know of a few wild cats off of 20mm Vulcan brass though its been shortened. IIRC the one took bullets that were .729 inches across and were fired from a rifle weighting 120 pounds with a highly efficient muzzel break. still kicked like an SOB. looked like a 50 cal sniper rifle on steroids. the brass alone was $40 a piece and the bullets were made one at a time on a lathe

Back