What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just a post to vent.

haha.. kinda funy i guess i went on vacation and my parents had to take care of my plants 3 weeks later i come back and NONE are alive *SIGH* the funny thing is they ALWAYS win yard of the month.

that's tto bad... maybe you should ground them.:p

Join the club! I've had my dad kill many plants. Lucky for me he always replaces them.

how many and what kids did ya have? its happened to me to...i think it has happened to all of us really...
Alex

i dont iknow how many there was a pitcher plant a VFT  some live sphagnum and alot of sundews (which made me sad THEY
smile_h_32.gif
 died) and a suculent plus im goiung out of town AGAIN in october so i cant get any new ones till after then but guess il just have to deal

I'm sure it's happened to many people. I lost four VFTs and two sundews over vacation too.

Man Ive been lucky! Out of the 3 times Ive gone away from my plants, my moms taken "O.K" care of them.. could have been better, she got the idea of leaving the Plants in Trays and having water in it at all times, what she forgot was that the Nepenthes werent supposed to be in water... Luckly they survived.

Thank goodness my neighbor takes instruection very well. She has been very good at doing exactly what I instructed her to do. The first year I told her that if it rained she didn;t need to water since the GH was in the shape it was in earlier today with holes all in the plastic. Well dummy me forgot some plants were under still intact plastic. They all were BONE dry when I got home. I learned my lesson the second time I asked her to water and told her to water every other day regardless and everyting was better! I leave my dews and most all my CPs standing in water except the nepenthes so I just told her to water everything NOT standing in water with the hose and water the things standing in water with rain water. She did good!

I am sorry to hear about the death of your plants Kseer13. If your in the states and willing to pay for shipping and possibly a heat pack, I can help you replace some dews and utric and a nepenthes ventrata cutting when you get back from your next trip. Just make yourself a note and PM me when your ready to try again. Hopefully it will not be too cold or I have bought some heatpacks by then.

gee thanks JB!!! ill have to remember

Man, that's too bad. Lucky for me, like JB, I have a plantsitter (brother in law) who listens to directions. Also helps that I print out a care sheet for each area and tape it there in case he forgets.

YEa thats what I do, but IM allways availble by phone, or ask questions when I call home "like did you do this right did you do this, did you rember to do that..." IM just glad I dont have a Huge collection.

To bad theirs not a way for these things to be self sufficent for months at a time... as if we arent lazy enough with our plants, (well some of us)

I only take vacations in the fall or winter, and usually lasts about a week. That way the plants won't be completely dry when I get back. Some plants will be dormant, so they probably don't care either way. One of these days, I'll get a giant tray and set up an automatic gravity feed drip system. That'll make life a whole lot easier.

Schloaty that is a good Idea! I thought about doing that too, but my growing area was so unorganized in the old GH that I would have had signs everywhere. After the new GH is finished I will have to do that just in case the wife is asked to water. You know what we say just goes in one ear and out the other most of the time. I think she is like that when I talk about plants.

Back