What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

computer hard drive help?

• Thread starter CNCreefer
  • Start date
I just bought a new computer to replace my old celeron 333. The new puter is a AMD athlon 64 3200+ on an asus motherboard. the hard drive that came installed on it is a WD 80 gig 7200 rpm SATA drive.
What I want to do is, take the hard drive out of the old machine and put it in the new one. The old drive is a Maxtor 20 gig 7200 rpm IDE drive. After I reset the jumpers to make it a slave, I plugged the IDE drive into the secondary IDE connector ( the DVD burner is plugged into the primary IDE connector) and rebooted the computer. Well guess what!!! The computer wants to boot off the old drive!
How can I set it up so the 80 gig SATA drive with XP on it boots up and the old drive is just a second drive that I can use to make backups, etc...?

I don't know. I did the same thing. I put my old harddrive in my new pc and everything worked right from the start. It boots up on the new drive and I never even use the old one, lol. But it works because I clicked on it to test it and it's there if I ever need it.

I think you need to set SATA as the primary HDD in the bios... Right now you have it secondary on the IDE cable- but that doesn't mean that the IDE is set as primart so the secondary hdd is actually the 1st hdd
smile_n_32.gif
Yah- check bios :-D

ya... boot priority is set in the bios. You can tell the computer to look for the SATA drive only.

Just a note though.. master/slave is determined by the plug on the cable you attached the drive to. Primary and secondary connectors on the motherboard can each run a master and a slave drive. Check and see which plug you attached to the actual drive. It will be either the middle one or the end one. If my memory serves correct.. the middle plug is the slave and the end plug is the master. I will have to double check that though lol

T

Master/slave is determined by the jumpers on the hard drives unless they're set to "cable select".

I got it to work. I set the old IDE drive as the primary master and the DVD burner as the secondary master. All SATA drives are masters. I went into the BIOS and made sure the SATA drive boots first. Of course I kinda have a dual boot system now, cause win98 is on the old drive.

Back