What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Carnivorous Plants, by Barry Rice

http://www.amazon.com/Growing....1928070

This book simply rocks.

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. I skimmed through it quickly, then read the first two chapters.

The photographs are plentiful and gorgeous. Each chapter has a section focusing on conservation. The horticultural advice is excellent. It spends time on genuses, such as Aldrovanda and Byblis, that have received scant attention in other books.

Definitely the best book since The Savage Garden.

I bought savage garden ..but returned it in 2 hrs since it had only 4 pages of info on the VFT. The pictures were ok but not specacular. Is barry's book any different? I really love his faq ...so is the book into detail on the VFT with lots of pics on them?
smile_n_32.gif

if yes then I will buy it too
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Sep. 26 2006,12:51)]I bought savage garden ..but returned it in 2 hrs since it had only 4 pages of info on the VFT. The pictures were ok but not specacular. Is barry's book any different? I really love his faq ...so is the book into detail on the VFT with lots of pics on them?
smile_n_32.gif

if yes then I will buy it too
biggrin.gif
you returned it!? reading the whole thing is how i got into the other types of CPs!! before the book....i never even knew what a nepenthes, byblis, bladderwort, sundew or butterworts were!!...
Alex

That serious was a, to put it bluntly, stupid move their on youre part budy, its great for refrencing.

Sorry, but its good to have on hand for some one who really wants to know about CP's, and you can show them pictures of the plants.

But w/e its youre choice! Becaues youre not gonna find a real indepth VFT book, other than real scientific information, alot of it useless to the common grower.

I'm still impatiently waiting for my book to get here.
mad.gif

Want to see something funny. LOL Steve (Elgekco) won his book in the auction a few months back. I pre ordered and paid for his copy right after the auction.

I ordered my copy two days ago. Here is my Steve's estimated delivery date.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Estimated Arrival: October 2, 2006

And here is mine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Estimated Arrival: October 2, 2006

LOL

Good thing I ordered yours months ago.

biggrin.gif

i dont get it 0zzy
confused.gif
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Sep. 26 2006,4:23)]That serious was a, to put it bluntly, stupid move their on youre part budy, its great for refrencing.

Sorry, but its good to have on hand for some one who really wants to know about CP's, and you can show them pictures of the plants.

But w/e its youre choice! Becaues youre not gonna find a real indepth VFT book, other than real scientific information, alot of it useless to the common grower.
well...the main reason I gave it back was to get back the 30$ and then use it for buying the light for the plants.

However, after checking out lights and so on....I can't get light for my size terrarium which is just 45 cm x 15 cm x 25 cm height.

It is soo much harder to get good lights for that size. So I decided to stay with the present ott-lite lamp. The plants are all growing....so it shouldn't be too bad.

Another reason as I mentioned is because of no VFT info apart from descriptions of few cultivars.

However, later in 2 - 3 yrs....IF my VFT's live and I go on to have more interest in growing other plants...(inspecific I like the Sarracenias and pitchers) then I will probably re-buy the book. Till then....I guess I can use the 30$ for my cell phone bill
smile_n_32.gif

fly traps are a pain.............alot of other CP's are much easier.....im on my third failure with VFT's

going to have to order Barrys book soon

which stage did ur flytraps die? Is it due to dormancy??Because so far my VFT's look fine. 6 of my 7 VFT's are new off the TC...which basically MAY not need dormancy this year. The other one...I am actually trying to notice the rythm comparing to the other plants to see if its slowing down.

I plan on just taking the entire plant with a little peat my the side.......then put it in a small plastic bin.....move it to the side for 2 days in darkness.....then I will put it in a ziplock bag and try removing as much air as possible before putting it in mmy fridge at the lowest cold level temperature.

BTW...coming back on topic.....which one would u guys rate necessary...barry rice's book or savage garden??

dormancy? i havent made it that far yet
smile_n_32.gif
they do great for awhile and then keel over. ive tried under lights and ive tried outside, look healthy for a couple months then i get black mush. the freaking SOB's refuse to live for me. good thing ive got my rare Utrics, Heliamphora and Nepenthes to comfort me
smile_n_32.gif
VFT's, and most "beginner species" hate me. can usually kill them off in under a month. the "difficult species" are freaking weeds.........i dont understand it

VFTs are a pain for me too...i mean i can grow them(so far anyways...). i thnk neps are FAR easier to grow. next come utrics, then dews, sarrs, pings then VFTs... thats just to me! neps are easy because they grow year round, can grow well in your house, obviously give out amazing looking traps and just the sheer beauty of the whole plant is just....wow.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Sep. 26 2006,9:26)]dormancy? i havent made it that far yet
smile_n_32.gif
they do great for awhile and then keel over. ive tried under lights and ive tried outside, look healthy for a couple months then i get black mush. the freaking SOB's refuse to live for me. good thing ive got my rare Utrics, Heliamphora and Nepenthes to comfort me
smile_n_32.gif
VFT's, and most "beginner species" hate me. can usually kill them off in under a month. the "difficult species" are freaking weeds.........i dont understand it
what you dont know is that in montana its alwasy opposite day
smile_n_32.gif
Alex

my plants just like frustrating me............my U. aureomaculata has bloomed for me exactly once........the one week i could not get my hands on a camera to save my life

LOL,

Yea I agree with you all, nepenthes are alot easier... they are much more beautiful though. Theirs to much contriversy over VFT cultivators it just sucks!

but theirs really only The main ones, no point in dealing with all the other crazy named ones.

Nepenthes on the other hand... Well do I even need to explain? (Or does any one for that matter)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Sep. 26 2006,9:26)]dormancy? i havent made it that far yet
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
hmm.....do u know something that might have gone wrong?? water?? soil mix??? bugs??

It kinda scares me ..bt so far...well...my VFT's are doing .ok... not red traps and all ...all traps are green with a slight red rosy trap interior ...however, I water them twice a week....and spray water on them everyday. Main reason for spraying is the growinggreen sphagnum....but so far...I think they look ok.....its been around a month now since I got them.

hey BTW....A little OT...my dentate from walmart has grown new traps which are actually smaller than the ones which were growing when I bought it. Is this a sign of dormancy??? More shoots are still growing...but they are not as big.

However..comparing my mentionable B-52....when I got it the max trap size was just under a inch. The newest trap is around an inch and a half. It looks amazing.
smile.gif
long teeth....ooh...yeah baby...
smile_n_32.gif

ive come to the conclusion that VFT's just dont like me, nothing i can do about it. they are in the same trays as other CPs that are doing wonderfully(outside they are with my binata complex drosera and a few pings, inside they are in with a bit of everything) which is fine........i find Utrics more interesting anyways...a couple REALLY rare ones should be here tomorrow
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a couple REALLY rare ones should be here tomorrow
oooo do tell!
smile.gif
smile.gif

nope...................aint ruining it till they are here, minute i say exactly what they will keel over in shipping...........will post pics when they get here though. i wonder if either are even in Barry's book?

and Now! back to the original thread.
I got my Barry Rice book yesterday,and even got to watch him autograph it.
I leafed through it, to look at the pictures and then I read 1/3 of it last night.
A gr8 book by a gr8 man
Good ole Barry recommends stratyfying VFT seed X 1 month.

Back