What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stitches still in

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I adopted my dog from the humane society 3 months ago. She had to be spayed before she could come home with us. They did it the next morning. Now three months later I can still see the stitches under her skin. I can feel it and everything. There's about 9 of them. Now if they used stitches that are supposed to disolve, wouldn't it have disolved by now?? She got stitches inside and she got glue to close up the opening. I want to call the humane society and ask the vet they have there what to do, but before I do, I wanted to know from you guys if this is strange or not. The stitches are blue and it feels like fishing line. I hope this is not serious, because I don't want her to have to be cut open again
smile_h_32.gif
Thanks.

usualy they can be disovlved, I think its around a month and you can take it out (if not just two weeks it takes about 7 days for a small wound to heal Probably about 2-3 for a large one)

You dont need to go to the doctors to have them taken out its easy enough to do it youre self. Stitches inside will be fine, out side stitches can come out usualy I would double check on the time when they should come out though

I can't take it out cause they're inside my dog, and I would think that ones that disolve would have disolved in three months.

Easiest and safest thing to do is just call your vet or the Humane Society and ask.

You can still feel "stuff" inside where my dog was done also. It's just where the stuff heals up not perfectly. I doublt you're actually feeling stitches... Even where my wife had her c-section you can feel the bumps inside. But if it concerns you- there is only 1 way to know for sure
smile.gif

Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Oct. 12 2006,7:00)]You can still feel "stuff" inside where my dog was done also.   It's just where the stuff heals up not perfectly.  I doublt you're actually feeling stitches...  Even where my wife had her c-section you can feel the bumps inside.   But if it concerns you- there is only 1 way to know for sure
smile.gif

Andrew
Trust me they're stitches.

I'm just going to call, I find it hard to believe that they should still be in there after three months
confused.gif

If they used a stitch called PDS it can last up wards of 6 months to a year. I wouldn't worry unless the area is swelling and tender to the dog. If the skin is healed over and these are indeed internal stitches then they are facial stitches that need to stay a little longer anyhow. You don;t want you dog to get a hernia do you? As long as the area is not red, tender, or swollen then it is fine.

Thanks JB_Orchidguy. I'll leave it alone, but still keep an eye on it.

YW. If it ain't broke don;t fix it.
smile.gif
I knew the grandmother of a friend of mine and you could see and feel the wires in her sternum from after her openheart surgery. Of course steal does not desolve like PDS, and vicryl do. Or even cromic gut. Sorry for the technical terms I work in an OR.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] But if it concerns you- there is only 1 way to know for sure
smile.gif

I agree with Andrew, there is only one way to know for sure. You're going to have to reopen the wound and inspect the stiches. Don't forget to take a lot of pics and post em here for us to see.

I took pics of my dog's stitches,lol! Here they are, it's hard to see (they ARE inside of her!) but you can see blue criss cross stitches along her tummy, you can also see where they tied a bunch of knots at the end.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2002/tayleestitches004qi2.jpg
Here's the knot next to my finger.
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/377/tayleestitches008io4.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6416/tayleestitches009lb0.jpg

If anyone tells me they're veins, I will track you down and kick you in the butt!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Those are veins, duhhh.

OMG I totally knew you were gonna do that! Imagine that!

You know I love you 0zzy
smile_m_32.gif

Liar.

LOL, I wouldn't talk
smile_m_32.gif
But I do like you
laugh.gif
Come on, let's kiss and make up
smile_m_32.gif

The way you two carry on, I'd swear you were siblings.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

:
smile_t_32.gif
:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 17 2006,6:56)]:
smile_t_32.gif
:
Hey wow, I actually agree with 0zzy on this one!
smile_t_32.gif

Back