What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunkering down for the winter

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I spent all of the spring and summer wheelin' and dealin' and replacin'.... and now it is time for me to fill my last order of "newbie kit" and call it a season.

Unlike the lab in which I worked, which had ample window sill space and a neglected refigerator (except for someone's beer), I just have an attic and wrong-facing window sills, and a not very sympathetic wife, with respect to cluttering up the kitchen window sill with CP's.

I've gotta figure out how cold the attic actually gets and whether or not my pigmy sundews and many butterworts will fare up there. We just had a freak snowstorm that knocked out many power lines, messed up the flow of fresh water from the tap and gasoline. The temps have been in the 30's & 40's. So far even the B. libiflora has survived the cold, but I have no idea how cold the tropicals and subtropical can take. I've moved the warmer sundews down to the apartment and have them at "out of site / out of mind" NE window sills, but i don't know if they'll survive the next 6 months like that. Last winter I had many of my plants in the downstairs tenant's kitchen windows, but that aint happening this year. Wish I had a friend nearby who could accommodate them or a school that could take care of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 15 2006,9:34)] Wish I had a friend nearby who could accommodate them.
(Ben coughs)

We only got a litte flurry....

-Ben

An attic seems like a bad place to keep plants because of temperature fluctuations - a properly insulated one can warm up on sunny "warm" winter day and then the temperature drops like a stone after sunset. It's repeated freezing & thawing that causes a lot of winter damage. But I've never tried keeping plants up there, so have no personal experience. Good luck in finding a winter home for them.

Back