What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York Botnaical Gardens

Saturday was the NECPS show then Sunday I went to the NYBG to see the Chihuly Exhibit... Such a rough weekend. I may have forgotten my camera to the NECPS but I didn't to the Botanical Gardens. As far as Chihuly goes I was only really impressed with the water lilly segment. Snapped a few shots...
bot2.jpg

bot1-1.jpg

bot3.jpg

bot4.jpg

bot6.jpg

birthday is coming up and my girlfriend thought the gaint birthday candles would be funny. I'm sure you can see how amused I am by it.

bot8.jpg

Several drinks and appetizers later on the lower west side.
and completly off topic...
While at the NECPS Schoalty and I were discussing sushi. Elisabeth and I found a place that had fried chicken rolls! It was much better than the Sea Urchin...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It was much better than the Sea Urchin...

LOL!  I think dog poo is better than sea urchin.

Is that last pic out of focus because the camera was drinking, too?
blues.gif

Nice pics of the lilly pond! Did you make your way though their giant conservatory?

Actually, it was the camera who was drinking not us. He got us kicked out of the last restaurant by asking another camera if she want "To see his exposure." It's a good camera but just can't seem to handle his alcohol.

Yeah, we made our way through the conservatory. The deserts were amazing. We covered some of the grounds but the place is impossible to cover in one day.

Didja see the Carnivorous Plant exhibit? I guess they had it again this year, went to it last year.
It's pretty cool and all but it's no NECPS show!
smile_m_32.gif

It's definitely worth checkin out cause they do have some real cool stuff...

No, it was not the NECPS show my no means... Oddly enough I guess there are people that want to see other plants besides carnivores.
It was rather small... They had a glass case about 5ft x 5ft that contained a S. leucophylla and few Sarracenia hybrids. Some VFTs and drosera. I saw a total of two Nepenthes which didn't appear to be pitchering very well.
but the greenhouse was amazing!

With the exception of ABG, most botanical gardens don't maintain CPs too well. I was really disappointed by the gardens in Washington, D.C.. Their best CP was a great looking burkeii-- which was tucked away behind an orchid from Mt. Kinabalu (which happened to be named 'lowii', though I don't remember what genus).

I think that Berkely has/had a very nice CP collection.

mad.gif
They have that glass stuff where I am too, some of it looks ok, some of it just... well sucks...

There was a museum full of Dave Chihuly's stuff near me when I lived in Seattle. I thought it was good stuff.

I think it's a little tacky

agree'd! it looks cool as an abstract by its self... not with plants...

Back