What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought these today

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I bought these sick plants today
smile_n_32.gif

img1441zg8.jpg
img1446ka4.jpg

img1437jg4.jpg
img1447zx9.jpg
img1448bg2.jpg

tell me that they are one of the most light deprived plants ever....

is that a sarracenia???

bought this at the rona lansing at brittania and mavis.
The person in charge f the greenhouse is nice. She told me they are getting new shipments next week...but since I won't be here..I bought these sick plants instead at 25% off.

She said she will give me a call if any interesting CP's arrive.
biggrin.gif

It's a sarracenia. Probably a leuco hybrid.

Maybe it's just the pic but it looks like it has those white bug things.

ooh u mean the white glare seen in the 2nd middle sarracenia pitcher??? yeah..thats just the camera flash.

So what do u think about the plant health in general??

They're light-starved, dried out, and miserable, but they'll come back strong with good care.

Capslock

it looks like dormancy will be skipped for them this year then...I'll keep them in the terrarium...in the place of the dentate that went into dormancy.

So these are the same requirements of the VFT's ...aren;t they??? they live in the same habitat. Once they recover...the pitchers should just be TUBES ..not any leaf blades?? isn't that right??

I'd give them dormancy. Atleast for the sarracenia. I don't baby my plants.

Same requirements.

which one of these is mine supposed to look like
smile_n_32.gif

759px-Sarracenia_ne1.JPG

Probably an N. x Judith Hindle. That would be my guess. If so, give it its normal dormancy. It will come back strong in the spring. Judith Hindle is bullet proof, and a fine looking hybrid as well.

Capslock

I once bought a plant labeled Cobra plant, that was obviously a S. Rubra
Too soon to tell but could be a Scalett Belle or Dixie Lace.Haven't seen an ala that wide in a long time.LOL
Lois

wow...interesting Lois.
biggrin.gif
I guess everyone is kind of like a easter egg heh ;)

Ok...so tell me guys....some of u are saying put it in dormancy (most of u) and some comments about them being TC plants and can probably live till next winter.

So I am thinking of planting them in the terrarium. However, are there any signs of dormancy I am looking for??? VFT's was small traps and different leaves with death kind of appearance on top. How about these pitchers?? is it similar?

Should I cut off the big pitchers...obviously they are all malformed. I have seen scotty cut all his plants in his dormancy report. but this one looks pretty weak and seeking light. I guess that he is growing strong....being off TC. Should I just give him good conditions?? or put him to forced dormancy?

thanx again ppl....i appreciate the time u r all taking.

i bought a plant labled as Cobra Lily and it was from Nurseryman's Exchange. it was a 'Judith Hindle' and its basically the plant that started my whole obsession... pretty plant.
Alex

Uhmm you really should just put them into dormancy...

please do dont starve another CP of dormancy... and even if you dont... you cant really give it the right kind of light that It would really like... Sarracenia love high light! Ihave mine in up to 12-14 hours of light in the summer! Dirrect all day!

they love it!

Yikes, I meant S. x 'Judith Hindle' not N. x 'Judith Hindle'! I have nepenthes on the brain.

Capslock

I thought it was N. judtih finn for nepenthes?

maybe im insaine!
STUPID CULTIVATOR HYBRIDS!

judith finn is a nep...judith hindel is a sarr.
smile.gif

Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Oct. 22 2006,12:54)]Uhmm you really should just put them into dormancy...

please do dont starve another CP of dormancy... and even if you dont... you cant really give it the right kind of light that It would really like... Sarracenia love high light! Ihave mine in up to 12-14 hours of light in the summer! Dirrect all day!

they love it!
hmm....I guess I can do them a dormancy by cutting off all the shoots...bagging the plant and putting it in the fridge...

However, i guess I cannot help it with the light aspect. I know that all the leftover CP's in rona are not going to be buyed and will just die anyways...So I guess this guy is in a better of situation of 'withstanding' my conditions. If he cannot....then I guess Sarrs are off my growlist till I make an outdoor bog.

ooo..oo...oo...look at this:::

This seriously resembles my plant ..but only in higher light conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-zh0jJUMk&NR

How come it still has that LEAF blade...I thought I have it only becos its in low light....and his plants IMO look pretty beaten and dried like mine too.

I'm at the lake house, and I swear this computer is only 10K so I won't click on the link...but....

I'm going to assume the leaf blade you are talking about is phyllodia. That means they are getting ready for dormancy. Totally normal. They make those even if they are in full sun when it's time to go nappy nap.

Dormancy really isn't a big deal or something you need to skip the first year. Go ahead and give it to them.

alright then....dormancy it is
smile.gif

But how am I doing it?? Scotty's style ...cut up leaves..bag the pot and fridge it? or leavethe leaves on??

usualy people will cut off the dead leaves and leave them out for the winter... where do you live?

Back