What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer Toxicity!

A friend of mine has been recommending this Peruvian Seabird Guano fertilizer to me as a natural alternative that is good for sensitive plants (he uses it on his miniature orchids, bromeliads, and Cephalotus). I bought a bag, and was just reading the notice on the back which says to check www.aapfco.org/metals for info about metals content of the product. I went to this website and looked at what the company reported to the state of Oregon. They show 8.58 ppm Arsenic, 3.56 ppm Cadmium, and 1ppm Lead. These seem like potentially very dangerous levels for people with growing setups where there is not a lot of flushing going on (terrariums, undrained containers, tray systems that don't get washed, raised garden beds). I just thought I should get the word out because my friend had this product recommended to him on one of the Dendro boards (he does Dart Frogs) where everyone is growing in closed systems. I would be very cautious about this product.

I think Jobes sticks cotain mercury, arsenic, and lead, too.

So why not growing them without any fertilizers?
cool.gif
they don't need some!
They all contain toxic products, even they are not dangerous for us.
My plants grow well without fertilizers for many years...and without any growing problems (they all spend some time outdoor, at lease during summer ; and I think this is a huge factor for their health)

CP's do grow fine without fertilizing (most of them) but I posted this mainly to inform people who like to fertilize their CP's (I do, I like the results) and for people who like orchids (which pretty much HAVE to be fertilized as I understand it).

Back