What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Round and Square Pots

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Where do you guys get your round and square pots from to grow your CPs? I found a thread awhile back that had a link to a website that sold them. I believe it was a nursery supply place, but I could be wrong. I can't seem to find it now. I'm interested in all suggestions (I've checked eBay already).

Thanks,
Crystal

Ebay! I dont rember I just know I found them on Ebay try looking harder...

Square pots, plastic pots, 4 inch pots, seed starting pots, just try a vary of phrases including pots.

youre bound to find some!
cool.gif

I found some on Ebay, but I'd like to know of some other places for price comparsion
smile.gif

Try this thread: Plastic Pot Thread

For me its only the square or rectangular pots that I use -- round pots are just too wastful of space, which is always at a premium for me.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you Joseph.

I prefer square myself but they are hard to find for some reason. I ordered some online from a company...can't remember the name. I am trying to phase out my round pots.

I've spent a ton of time searching the web for TALL square plastic pots (that aren't super wide, somewhere around 3-4 inches would be desirable). I would like to grow Cephs and pygmy drosera, and I've heard that tall pots are best...and the 3-4 inches in height doesn't seem that tall to me.

Any ideas? If I can't find them, I'll just buy from the links provided here
smile.gif

LOL! We're supposed to use pots? I've been using plastic drinking cups, yogurt cups, throwaway Home Depot display racks, and my wife's Gladware (shhhhh...), pipette containers....

Strausplants002.jpg

AR000102.jpg

AF001101.jpg

Strausplants0221.jpg

P_moranensis_Superba.jpg

But seriously, as Joseph has indicated, square pots are a much more efficient use of space. The round one leave gaps.

hey jim...have you ever used those rectangular aluminum pie or cake pans?? would they be ok to use for somthing like Utrics??
I use all kinds of things for my pots... i use hard plastic 9oz alcohol tumblers for many of my plants... ive got a D. adelae, P. primuliflora, some sphagnum moss, and...nothing. all in them! i also use one of those styrofoam bowls with U. sandersonii in it.
Alex

The small plastic pots I have been most impressed with and satisfied by are manufactured by Kord. They have stayed supple for many years (over 10) and have lasted already more than twice as long as the best other-brand, other-type-of-plastic small planters I have ever used.

Kord pots are available from various sources:
<ul>
[*]Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
[*]Hoosier Orchids
[*]ITML Horticultural Products
[/list]
All that said, although I use Kord pots for vegetable and flower seedlings and other plants, for carnivorous plants I usually use cheap styrofoam beverage cups, the large 16 ounce ones, with holes punched in the bottoms.

Small pots can overheat quickly in the sun, so I use these insulating styrofoam "planters" in an effort to make the roots more comfortable and protected from temperature extremes. I'm very happy with the results.
smile.gif

Steve / xscd

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Oct. 26 2006,2:25)]I've spent a ton of time searching the web for TALL square plastic pots (that aren't super wide, somewhere around 3-4 inches would be desirable). I would like to grow Cephs and pygmy drosera, and I've heard that tall pots are best...and the 3-4 inches in height doesn't seem that tall to me.

Any ideas? If I can't find them, I'll just buy from the links provided here
smile.gif
The pots you are describing are known to me as "rose pots". I've found them available, retail, from:
[*]Charley's Greenhouse Supply

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Oct. 25 2006,10:16)]For me its only the square or rectangular pots that I use -- round pots are just too wastful of space, which is always at a premium for me.
While I agree with the space-saving nature of the square pots, round pots are more receptive to 'humidity domes' (aka: clear plastic cups). They come in very handy as temporary hospital areas for new petiolaris complex strikes and other plants in need of a temporary higher-humidity environment.

Good point, but not every one grows just Drosera... I know I like to grow Utrics in those pots compared to Drosera... then agian IM more prone to Utrics and Neps than other CP's. I really like the Deep pot I had been looking for those for a little bit now acutaly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 26 2006,8:38)]hey jim...have you ever used those rectangular aluminum pie or cake pans?? would they be ok to use for somthing like Utrics??
I use all kinds of things for my pots... i use hard plastic 9oz alcohol tumblers for many of my plants... ive got a D. adelae, P. primuliflora, some sphagnum moss, and...nothing. all in them! i also use one of those styrofoam bowls with U. sandersonii in it.
Alex
I've never used metal for CP's. Occasionally, I have used styrofoam containers, but for the most part I use only plastic. I have seem people use undrained containers for utrics & pings, but either plastic, glass, or ceramic.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up ordering from Hoosier Orchid Company. They had the 'off' sizes that I was looking for (2.25" and 2.5").

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 26 2006,8:19)]LOL! We're supposed to use pots? I've been using plastic drinking cups, yogurt cups, throwaway Home Depot display racks, and my wife's Gladware (shhhhh...), pipette containers....

Lol Jim! I try to use only pots because what few containers we come across, such as those Glad containers that deli meat comes in, my mother saves. We don't eat yogurt, so no yogurt cuts for me
smile_h_32.gif
. I do occasionally use some of my mother's Gladware though. Shhhh! The square pots will help me use some wasted space that I'm getting right now with round pots.

I've never used metal for CP's either. It just seems like a bad idea to me. Depending on the metal, it could rust and cause some problems.

I grow tropical cactus but they have very similar drainage and root aeration needs and I have found these pots to be about the best for small pots, unfortunately I have not found them bigger. pots

Joe

Back