What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever have this happen?

• Thread starter CNCreefer
  • Start date
I got a ticket on federal land back in July. It came with an addressed envelope in which to put the check or money order to pay the fine in leau of going to court.
I got the money orders and mailed it to them in the supplied envelope in August.
Fast forward to now. 2 days ago I get a notice in the mail saying that there is a warrant out for my arrest
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Now how can I have a warrant when the ticket was paid 2 months ago??? I talked to a federal defender and she told me to make copies of the ticket and the money orders, and write a letter telling them that the ticket was paid and there was no court date on the ticket.
Still nothing. There is no way to talk to a live person and now I am living in fear that I can be arrested and thrown in jail, for a ticket that WAS PAID 2 months ago
mad.gif

What should I do?
confused.gif
? I am a mess of frazzled nerves and I am real jumpy and stressed like you would not believe
smile_h_32.gif

...what did you do if you don't mine me asking?

Go to the police station and explain how theres a warrant out for your arrest LMAO.

Yeah, right....See, there is a lot at stake here, I have a fiance who needs me here and she would have no way to pay rent, etc... if I went to jail.
Needless to say, if I go to jail, there will be a HUGE lawsuit against the federal govt.

lol bet yah the USPS lost it
smile_n_32.gif
had a letter take 6 months to the day to get to the other side of the state, i could have walked it there faster.

Welcome to my world. I wish I could help but I can't think of anything. Unless you still have a copy of the ticket. If so look for phone numbers etc.

If you have the mailing address, send it to me and I'll see if I can find some info for you.

By the way, what did you do?

We were camping on a bureau of land management campground and I got caught with a little of a certain plant material.
The ticket was payable to an agency called Central Violations Bureau. I do have the original ticket and money order reciepts along with the letter that I wrote them.
They have a website that is useless and a phone number that is one of those automated systems, I wonder if there are any live people working there.
Let me see if I can find a mailing address and I'll PM it to you.

aslong as you have the reciepts there shouldnt be any problem sorting it out, can you check and see if the MO was cashed?

Oh so that's why they call you reefer lmao.

Surely you must have SOME proof somewhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh so that's why they call you reefer lmao
actually I borrowed my user name from a saltwater reef aquarium message board.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Surely you must have SOME proof somewhere
i have the original ticket and money order reciepts. See above.
Actually I FAXED the ticket and reciepts to the above agency instead of mailing them so I know they have them. they must be sitting in their fax machine. I wonder if there are any live people working there, I can't seem to find any phone numbers to live people or anything, I really need to resolve this case ASAP.

oh so THAT'S why they call you reefer.

Lol, I wasn't making fun of you. Sorry if you got offended.

Well, if you've got the money order reciept then that helps a ton.

With all the stress this is putting me through, I should be smokin' some
smile_m_32.gif

I wouldn't until all this is over.

I meant to say,... that's bad!

Marijuana is bad......um kay..

...mm kay..

Lmao, I love Mr. Mackey

On a serious note, i'm sorry that you got busted but i'm sure you won't go to jail.

I know this doesn't help much now but...

On the path towards getting my wife's permanent residence status, we've had to deal a lot with the government. The best thing to do is always send registered mail...basically at the USPS post office you have to fill out some card with your name, etc...which the person at the other end has to fill out when they recieve your letter...and then this card comes back to you with. This way you know they recieved the letter (and you didn't miss a deadline), and you have the evidence if they say you never sent it. For the piece of mind it gives, it doesn't cost all that much (like $5).

The US govt loves making you squirm when it comes to mail, don't it?

I sent my selective services application in a whiles back. I sent it during the legal timephrame. It's still within the 90 days that it takes them to enter the data, confirm it, and send me my card. So while I'm waiting for them to send my my confirmation I'm sort of a felon. >_> In a sense of the word...

lol, so I feel for you.
biggrin.gif

I know of a guy that always insures plant material when he sends through the post office. Reason being is he says the post office NEVER looses an insured item. The same can go for important info too. Registered is the way to go. Call the number on the money order and see if that money order has been cashed. If it has then bam your in the clear there. That is as good as a canceled check. My old insurance company tried to say we didn;t pay our premiums and were going to cancel our house insurance. Well, I knew I paid the the premiums and went to the bank to get a copy of the canceled check. I faxed that to them and all was gravy.

If the money order was not cashed then it was lost. So in that case there should be a way to contact those morons. Since there was a mixup. Now you have no proof that the letter with the money order was sent and that stinks. Yet they should allow you to pay the fines and forgo jail. Since there was no court date on the ticket how can you appear someplace without propper notification? They had your address I am sure since you got the warrent letter. They should have sent a courtdate letter to you too. Don't worry I am like Clint. I don't think you will go to jail.

If you are still worried so much it is making you sick about going to jail then I would go to the jailhouse and turn yourself in. They will set a bail and you can get out without going to jail. Should work that way anyway. A friend of mine got busted with intent to destibute and was out that evening. So a simple possetion shouldn't be nothing.

Just take the advice Stiffler gave and register anything with a deadline. That way there is proof it was sent and/or recieved.

Goodluck and I do think it is not as bad as it seems.

Is that selective services thing the draft?

can you add a little note at the bottom like "Selective services is @#%#!!!!!"

Edit: don't they give the money back after your trial? I've always wanted to know if they kept it. I've been in the back of a cop car but i've never been to jail thank god.

Yes the bail money is just collateral saying you will show up at court. When you show the money is given back. Now if you bail on them and do not show they keep it.

I've been in the back of a cop car too, What were you in there for?

For me my mom and dad got too drunk one time at a firework show whenever I was 10 and they forgot where they parked the car. So some guy called the police and they took us home.

Back