What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 days of hunting............no blood spilled

in my 5 years of hunting on the north side of Fort Peck i have never run across so many bull elk..............course the only elk tags we. a friend and my father in law had the elk tags) had were two cow tags and we couldnt find any of those. had we had a bull tag we would have been set.......dont know howmany times we sat and watched a definate shooter lazily eat within 300 yards of us. no big mulies either but we looked over well over a 100 different does and a couple dozen small 4 point and under bucks...................

anyways all the way around the lake there are ridges running down to the water, the Pines Recreation area where my father-in-law has his cabin is on fifth ridge, the first morning found us out on sixth ridge hunting. we saw a heck of a bull that had 2 cows with him bout a half mile off down in the coulee between 5th and 6th ridge, so i hauled my friend who had a cow tag with me as we tried to head them off, this is her first time hunting elk.

so we think we get ahead of them about a mile out and cut south twords the lake to try and intersept them, i stopped her at a spot and took off walking farther south about 1/4 mile farther down and waved for her to start heading back to the road figuing if the elk were farther below here than i figured they were i might scare them up her way. well we never found the elk again but somewhere down in there in the timber i must have gotten turned around. i had lost sight of my friend but that didnt worry me given the terrain cause i sent her in the right direction to intersect the road. anyways most of the roads going through this country are lil two rut goat trail kinda roads which is what the road down sixth ridge is. when i get to the top of the ridge, out of the timber and find a hard packed more or less 2 lane dirt road im a bit dumb struck...........than it dawns on me, im on the Pines road...........AWH S#!%!!!..........i turn around and sure enough on the other ridge bout 2 and a half miles away are our 2 trucks. so i shrug my shoulders and head down the road to where the road we took that morning is, bout 3 miles down the road from where i came out. well i get about a half mile into the walk and some guys who were out glassing for deer happened to drive byand ask if i needed help, i gave them a quick run down of the situation and asked if they had a cell phone, sure enough they did and i gave my wife a call who was sitting in one of the trucks and told her what happend and if she would meet me somewhere along the road. she said sure and she was off..........the two guys in the truck asked which direction i was headed, i said to the road just above the cow camp..........after some discussion we decided we were talking about the same place......they said they werent seeing much and would i like a ride to the start of the road.........i said sure and hopped in figuring saving myself a extra 3 mile walk at this point was a good thing........after a short talk turns out the one guy has a cabin a lil ways from my father in laws. so they drop me off 3 miles down the road and i start following one of the better goat trails into the coulee between the two ridges.........course the wife got distracted by some does and i had walked about half way in by the time she got to me...........

all in all it was a good weekend.......alot of walking, alot of driving...........alot of critters seen but none shot...........my knee held up pretty well.....my leg muscles were screaming more than my knees which i took as a good thing :grin:

here are some pics of the areas we were hunting.......... no pictures of critters cause we were to busy glassing for something to shoot and most were two far away for my lil digital anyways..........going to have to bring the big one with the telephoto from the shop one of these weekends......

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

course had 2 days of hunting more or less in t shirts and woke up this morning to this
IMG_0264.jpg

gotta love Montana
smile_n_32.gif

It's already snowing? wow!

the last two pics were taken roughly 16 hours apart
smile_n_32.gif
not our first snow storm, just our first major one........we had a dusting of snow last weekend..........it can and does snow here during the last weeks of September aswell

Brrr i'm glad I live in GA! It's 60 here but i'm still cold!

was 60 here yesterday
smile_n_32.gif

WOW, look at that beautiful sky!

What beautiful scenery! I'd love to be out there with my camera.
smile.gif

Score for the day...Elk, 1...Rattler, O.
smile_n_32.gif

BTW...if you are going hunting...why don't you get bull AND cow tags so you can shoot (
smile_h_32.gif
) whatever you run across??

Why would you want to shoot a bull or cow?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a wild cow.

Edit: Oh ok, boy and girl elk. Gotcha.

Awesome shots!

Eh, it's been around 40 here the last couple of days, occasionally 30's, and we got a light lil powder a couple weeks ago.

-Ben

PAK: where we are hunting has a fairly small(compared to the mountains) but stable(and growing!) population of elk they are getting more and more plentiful but the tags are only availible by special drawing for this area. i only have the data from 2004 in front of me but for bull tags(actually either sex tags) there are only 10 tags availible and 349 ppl put in for them, for cow tags(technically antlerless tags) there are 30 availible and 80 ppl put in. so yah have to be lucky enough to draw a tag. course this is better odds than moose tags where there are 350 some tags availible state wide and 22,000 some odd ppl put in for them........not sure what the bighorn sheep odds are but its even a remoter chance.

any resident who wants one can buy a either sex/either species deer tag as well as put in for extra doe tags(or buy over the counter if there is surplus) i think this year if i wanted to i could shoot 1 buck and 7 does if i chose cause the deer population where we hunt is exploding. while i dont mind shooting them and cleaning them there is only so much butchering i care to do in a year. 8 deer(not including what the wife and father in law shoot) means way more work in the kitchen over 5 weeks than i care for
smile_m_32.gif

Oooooohhhhhh.

Why don't you come to VA and shoot the raccoon I saw climbing up the wisteria onto my house last nite.
confused.gif

Actually, I don't want it dead. Just removed from my house so Ollie won't go after it and get hurt.

Sounds like fun! What kind of gun you use? I have been to Montana twice, grouse hunting is awesome there.

I went Elk hunting one time, I was to young to really shoot but I was up in Montana (couldnt tell you where though) Ive gone Bear hunting in alaska too, that was awsome... Again I didnt get to shoot, I was allready freaking out about their being bears on the island!

im using a custom rifle built off of a Remington 700 its chambered in 375 Winchester Short Magnum. with bullets weighing up to 270 grains it will equal the 375H&H but im running it at saner speeds given that its a light rifle. im running 235 grainers prolly at around 2400-2500fps for my deer loads. its a purty rifle
smile_n_32.gif

its the second from the left
IMG_0161.jpg

dont do much bird hunting........could never hit anything out of the air......my brother does a fair amount of pheasant hunting though

Enjoyed your story .
Love the pictures.
Lois

I was photographing an elk hunt near Gunnison Co. four years ago.  Two of the hunters got high altitude sickness and I had to drive them 22 miles down the mountain to the hospital at 2 AM in a blizzard.  No heater in the truck.  If I had gone off the road, search crews would have found us about April.
The guys were in pretty bad shape and the doctor insisted I stay at least overnight as I was not breathing all that well.
I met a really pretty nurse and we went out partying the next evening and had a great ole' time.  The hospital thought I had gone AWOL.
The moral of this story is, out of a bad situation, some good may come.

hard to belive from the pictures posted but im out on the plains in the flat part of Montana several hundred miles from the closest mountains and even those arent much but large hills..the real mountains are a good 5 hour drive away minimum.............sure dont seem like it when your out walking in it though
smile_n_32.gif

Back