What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen vs. glass

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
All mesh hole size and window thickness & properties aside, of the two, which would allow more sunlight or would lead to more redness or growth in the plants - a mesh window or a glass window?

glass probably. unless you get the light protected windows.
Alex

Mesh will block some light. Go with glass.

But will won't glass block some essentials that a screen wouldn't?

'Only if the glass is made to block the essentials right?

Hey Jim, you are right about glass blocking some of the UV rays that the plants need. That is a problem that people have when they keep certain lizards and things that need the vitamins from the light but the glass filters them out.

Some but it's really negligable. I've used glass and acrylic covers and it's OK jim, it's OK.

Most glass blocks lots of UV. Ultraviolet radiation is said to be responsible for inspiring the nice coloration in our plants leaves. It is also the main component in sunlight said to inhibit undesirable fungi and nematodes.

See information at this link: Answers about glass and UV Light

Why do we buy special sunglasses?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 02 2006,7:51)]Why do we buy special sunglasses?
I know that those glasses are promoted. But I don't really know why anyone ever buys them. Many animals need full-spectrum light for proper health. Maybe we humans do too. No use of light filtering glasses for this person, thank you very much.

Josephy, thank you for providing the link about glass and UV. Our apartment  recently had all of the windows replaced. So now I need to ask the contractor what glass they were using and how much UV it allows.

So would you say that plants that allow the sun through a screened window would allow more UV than that of glass and thus be more beneficial?

I found that I had all kinds of redness produced by many sundews when I had them at the window sills at the lab. But the butterworts at those window, at best, tuned mildly pink. Why the difference?

Normal glass colours up plants 100%:

mike11.jpg

Back