What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes!!

Should I get $40 large Nepenthes rajah

or a

N. ramspinia
N. densiflora (or some other crazy sp's) for 35-40 dollars?

It really depends on your:
1. growing conditions - can you provide for N. rajah?
2. experience with neps - will rajah die under your care?
3. whims and fancies - do you prefer the size of the rajah pitchers or the dark purplish tone to ramispina?

I'll answer with the confidence that pure ignorance allows, since I've never had any of those species.  But I know from considering each of them in the past that I can plausibly grow N. ramispina in my intermediate - highland conditions and that N. densiflora and N. rajah are not good candidates.  Especially since the N. rajah grows so large and I have very limited space.  I'd have a N. ramispina already except for the fact that I probably don't have enough sun to get dark pitchers.

I would get a ramspinia. I like those.

They say 8 inches across.

If you check out my growlist you can see what I have (its in my signature). The N. gymnamphora is growing slower because of a soft scale attack, easy enough to stop I just poked and wiped away. It has recoverd, but gives a possible explanation to why it started a second growth point at this young!

But I guess youre right about the N. rajah It gets kind of big. So that should be out.

How about a N. diatas in place of the N. densiflora?

I have a Cool basement, IT gets about high 60's all year round I plan on building a Small Terrium (out of wood, and Plexiglass idealy).

Thanks all but im gonna save my cash till spring!
laugh.gif

LOL  You can get 4 plants for 57 bucks right now.  Well I got 5.  I wasn't expecting the bonus plant, and that has shipping included.  They are not the species you have listed, but they are the latest EP dragon clones.

If I had to choose from your list though I would choose the rajah.  If it was an indoor grow chamber I would say ramispina.  I am not familiar with the others.

Dragons, sabra, and Red leopard I received for 57.30

My ramispina has brown pitchers. Why is that?

Uhh....they could be dead? Define brown...brown and crispy or brown and fleshy (alive)?

It could be just young too. They don't get there full color till they are mature. Mine still has a brown tint to it too, but my pitchers are only about an inch to inch 1/4 tall. I know mine is getting enough light since it is hanging in the top of the GH with the other nepenthes. Still a juvi. When the pitcher get full size then I would worry you are not giving it enough light.

Back