What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you vote

I voted for Webb in Virginia. With Tester winning in Montana, there are 6000 votes separating Webb and Allen (advantage webb) which will decide the balance of power in the senate.

Never have I been more glad to have voted
smile.gif

Hey Scotty, I just can not understand your post.

An antiwar person voting republican is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders.

I voted because I felt I could make a difference, especially this year with all the big ballot initiatives in S.D. including some nationally watched ones. Many of our big ones were decided by quite narrow margins. This was the first election year I was able to vote.

But Ozzy, a perceptive antiwar person might have realized that Bush & Co. would cripple the US' military capability with their mind boggling combination of stupidity and corruption.  The Taliban is already regaining control of Afghanistan and Islamists have the foothold they never had in Iraq.  So things are returning to what they were before Bush's overseas adventures, except for the things that are even worse.  The US's finances are in shambles and we can hardly hang on in Iraq, let alone even think about invading anyone else.  Maybe this will make us a peaceful nation, whether we want to be or not.  Empowering the Republicans was a brilliant antiwar strategy.  I wish I had thought of it.

Hey thanks for clearing that all up Bruce.

Allen has all but conceded the election here in VA, thus the democrats control BOTH houses of congress \o/

unclesam.gif

I suppose the question may also be "Why didn't you vote?"

And the answer might be: 'Dunno, they said something. It had the word "felony count" in it. I wasn't paying attention though. :shrug:

Nah, felons can vote here. I can't.

::pS To avoid a party van busting down my door and carting me off, I now have my selective service registartion card so I'm Jonathan "ex-felon" Treffkorn now!::

::pPS If you're taking this seriously, you probably need an enema.::

I'm interested in these election results! I was watching updates last night as it progressed. I'm looking forward to things being shaken up. I'm glad that Arnold was voted in for a full term of governorship here in California.
smile.gif

I voted not just for or against candidates, constitutional amendments, or propositions, but, in doing so, also for democracy.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for the war. We can't exactly bug out and say "Oh sorry for ----ing up your country. Bye now!" We have created such havoc in Iraq. I can't imagine how it can be made right. Bush has embarrassed the US before the whole world.
sad.gif

This war was a massive mistake and bungled all the way through. And personally, I think it was more Bush's PRIDE than anything else that kept him "staying the course." He just could not, would not admit he made a mistake. I wish all politicians would learn its better to say "I changed my mind" or "That was a mistake" than to keep persuing something that's WRONG. Politicians are human and make mistakes too. Just admit it as soon as you realize you bungled and then DO something to make it right instead of continuing to blunder through the china shop.

"happy days are here again. Let us sing a song of cheer again. Happy Days are here again." The bums finally got the bum's rush. Now they can all go home and make all the money they want to since that's all they love, attend church every waking hour since Jesus is the be all and end all of everything, start playing war games in the backyard so they can use put all that Iraqi waste -- oops, experience -- to SOME good use and search day and night for their neighborhood terrorists .

Bobby

Letme just say that I am so sick of political discussions, especially those that have people that are convinced the other side has never done any good within the past 25 years… (not that anyone here seems to be that type) when people start doing that it makes me knot up in silent frustration. Democrats, republicans it doesn’t matter. I’m sick of them all!

I used to contribute to political discussions so willingly to defend my left of center point of view, but really, what’s the point in defending your views and having to justify them to others, anyway? Besides, I feel I am far closer to center than I used to be.

And about the evolution debate, it’s the same as politics for me. I have concluded that it is not worth the energy trying to convert someone to your point of view even if by some small miracle you succeed.

I disagree, Finch; I don't think debates about politics, evolution and so on are pointless.  The major combatants aren't going to change their minds based on someone else's words, but others might read something that gives them a new perspective.  Lincoln & Douglas weren't about to change their own views based on what the other said in the debates, but they probably changed or focused the opinions of others.

Nothing here rises to the level of those debates, other than for length, but I admire anyone who's willing to state an opinion.  As long as their facts are accurate, they do more than just parrot sound bites, but keep it concise and avoid accusing the opponent of being a traitor, a coward, nazi, etc.

Bruce, you must be a coward to post that last post.

You nazi.
angry.gif

See . . . that's what I mean. I saw myself as more of a traitor and now you've gone and burst my bubble.

Back