What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you vote

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I voted today, and I was wondering why people vote the way they do.

Do you vote straight for one party, do you choose the best person for each position, or do you flip a coin?

I'll start off with how I voted today. My first priority today was to vote for Bonner Stiller for state representative. He was the only republican I voted for. I voted for him because he is the ONLY politician that has helped in our fight to stop out of state landfills from opening up in NC. This includes the landfill that is planned to be built in the Green Swamp and the Hugo-nue auto landfill. Both of those members here have signed petitions to stop. So of course I voted to re-elect him.

Other than that I wanted to send a message to the people in power now that I am very unhappy with the way this country is currently being ran. So I voted Democrat for the rest.

There were a few offices that only had one person listed to vote for. I didn't cast a vote for those people.

One major regret I have is that I didn't educate myself on who was running for the office of Soil and Water Conservation. I didn't even know these people were voted in. With all the construction and growth in this county, I believe this is one of the most important issues. And I wasted my vote for it. Next time I I'll be prepared for that.

I was hoping to vote for some independent or other 3rd parties, but there was not even one on the ballot. That was a bummer since I'm an independent.

So how do you decide who you're going to vote for?

Please don't let this become a political debate, we have plenty of other threads for that. Just describe why you vote for who you vote for.

I vote for candidates that share the same ideologies that I have and support propositions that back up my beliefs.

This does not mean that I will suppot only candidates for a certain party. It means that I will support those that have the same views that I do on certain topics (like education, environmet protection, and immigration), whether they are republicans, democrats, or independents.

I voted straight Democrat on most issues. One-party rule in our country has been an unmitigated disaster. There needs to be a balance, so neither party can run wild. That, and ending the war of aggression on Iraq are the two most important issues.

On local issues, I voted for the good ideas and rejected the bad. My opinions on those didn't reflect one party or ideology - I find both parties can come up with some pretty bad ideas! LOL!!!!

Capslock

i vote for candidates not parties.............why did i vote(actually will vote, going over at lunch) becaus ei dont want that #$%&ing nazi for county sheriff
mad.gif

I voted Democratic.  The Democrats come closer to my views though its not a match on everything.  I also want to see the Republicans defeated for a number of reasons, not the least of which is my distaste for how much they are influenced and infiltrated by the "religious right."  I firmly believe in the separation of Church and State and I see too much Christian doctrine being woven into our laws.  All that stuff with the Terry Shaivo case was absolutely appalling!  Making such a heartwrenching personal situation into a political football for right-to-lifers.  Religion is fine, but not in my government!  And of course the war was an issue and a number of other things.

I did not vote for two city council seats.  I didn't know the candidates and there was just one running for each position so it really didn't matter anyway.

I voted "No" to VA Amendment #1 which was basically an anti-gay-marriage amendment.  There was HEAVY advertising for a "no" vote on this amendment here.  I don't know if it will pass or not.  I can't imagine conservative rural VA voting "no" on this but maybe the cities will defeat it.

YAY PAK! Go Democrats!

Down with Amendment #1!

I voted Devos (Rep) in Michigan. Devos did a pretty good job in Grand Rapids. I felt that Granholm (Dem) did not do a good enough job in Michigan. I voted for Granholm last election. I hope for Dem house & Senate for Checks & Balances. I also voted for Dove hunting in Michigan.

I vote for the party that is in favor of ending the Iraq war.
the party that wants to end the war properly.
I vote against the party that wants to keep the war going indefinately, and supports a plan that will cause much more death and war for the people of Iraq.

One party's plan can result in eventual peace for the region.
The other party's plan will only result in more war.
I am in favor of ending the war, not making it worse.
I vote for the party that has the only plan for peace.
The other party's plan will only result in more death and chaos.

thats why I vote Republican.

except for the NY state govenor race..I voted for Elliot Spitzer, the democrat.
because he seems to be a politician with a plan, he seems like he could actually DO something about fixing NY state.
So I voted for who I thought was the better man for the job..in this case it happened to be the Democrat.

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]except for the NY state govenor race..I voted for Elliot Spitzer, the democrat.
because he seems to be a politician with a plan, he seems like he could actually DO something about fixing NY state.

I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!! kick NYC off on its own? course same could be said in most places. what works for the big cities isnt always in the best interest of the rest of the state.

I abstained from the majority of the "cantidate" votes. I did vote against Gov. Schwarzzenegger, I feel he is nothing more than a puppet to the special interest groups that got him elected in the first place. Other than that I voted for measures that are aimed at creating jobs and bolstering the local economy. Oh and I also voted yes for the $2.50 tax on cigarettes. My feeling is that if education and common sense doesn't stop kids from smoking, just make the darn things so expensive that no kids can afford to want to start. And the older addicted ones that already smoke.. well hey let THEM foot the bill for their future medical needs.. not me.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Nov. 07 2006,5:53)]I abstained from the majority of the "cantidate" votes. I did vote against Gov. Schwarzzenegger, I feel he is nothing more than a puppet to the special interest groups that got him elected in the first place. Other than that I voted for measures that are aimed at creating jobs and bolstering the local economy. Oh and I also voted yes for the $2.50 tax on cigarettes. My feeling is that if education and common sense doesn't stop kids from smoking, just make the darn things so expensive that no kids can afford to want to start. And the older addicted ones that already smoke..  well hey let THEM foot the bill for their future medical needs..  not me.

Cheers
Steve
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My feeling is that if education and common sense doesn't stop kids from smoking, just make the darn things so expensive that no kids can afford to want to start. And the older addicted ones that already smoke.. well hey let THEM foot the bill for their future medical needs.. not me.

Amen!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Nov. 07 2006,6:53)]I abstained from the majority of the "cantidate" votes. I did vote against Gov. Schwarzzenegger, I feel he is nothing more than a puppet to the special interest groups that got him elected in the first place. Other than that I voted for measures that are aimed at creating jobs and bolstering the local economy. Oh and I also voted yes for the $2.50 tax on cigarettes. My feeling is that if education and common sense doesn't stop kids from smoking, just make the darn things so expensive that no kids can afford to want to start. And the older addicted ones that already smoke.. well hey let THEM foot the bill for their future medical needs.. not me.

Cheers
Steve
was wondering what the locals thought of him. i get LA channels via satelite. what ive seen of him hasnt impressed me

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Nov. 07 2006,6:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My feeling is that if education and common sense doesn't stop kids from smoking, just make the darn things so expensive that no kids can afford to want to start. And the older addicted ones that already smoke..  well hey let THEM foot the bill for their future medical needs..  not me.
Amen!

The amendment 1 mentioned earlier sounds similar to Amendment 43 here in Colorado. It would have amended the state constitution to specify that the only marriage recognized by the state would be between a man and a woman. That smacked to much of church being involved in goverment policy to me so I voted against it as I did to all but 4 other amendments and referendums on the ballot. I always wonder where they come up with the
censor.gif
they have on the ballots.
rant.gif

I voted...

No on almost all CA props; some were good ideas but most rely on billions of dollars of borrowed money.

Green on most positions based due to the common-sense policies of candidates. Exceptions were the republican Tom McClintock for Lt. Governor because he seems to understand our government and has reasonable and solid plans for how to improve it, and the republican candidate for Attorney General; I consider both the death penalty and three strikes to be worthy institutions.

So far, the propositions are coming in about 50/50, and the offices are going to big party names. And by the time I voted, the "I Voted" stickers had run out. Some democracy.
speechless-smiley-035.gif

Peter

Well I stayed up late late watching the returns. It was like watching a [very slow] horse race. A real nail biter! All eyes were on the hotly contested VA Senate race. At this point Webb appears to be leading. They say it will be a recount.
scratch.gif
Last I heard this morning there was an approximately 8,000 vote difference. Doubt that can be made up on a recount so I hope Macaca Allen just concedes.

Sadly, the Amendment #1 passed.
thumbdown.gif

I stayed up late, too. Infact, I havn't been to sleep yet and it's almost 1:30.

Good night.

Don't you mean "good afternoon"?
laugh.gif

Where am i?

Lol, i'll go to bed after I aclimate my new Ottocinclus cats. I expect them to die anyway, but we will see. For $1.50 i'll just replace them.

I bought three, she charged me for two!

Back