What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum

how do u grow sphagnum like that??
Oo.gif
Oo.gif
 OMG...thats like a gold mine there.
Oo.gif
 darn!!!

ohh....can u tell me how long does it take to grow from small patch i.e., an inch probably to something like that??
Oo.gif

I had just a small hand full and put it in my purp's pot, and by the end of 2 months or so, it had doubled in size, maybe more.

-Ben

I seem to have two different types of Sphagnum moss, one with big long tentacles/growing things, and the other with really short, thin, and compact growing things. I however like the second one the best!

I think the second one is actually a sphagnum companion moss. Its not sphagnum. I have places where its like a inch size carpet in my terrarium as well. Yeah..looks ok..but its not sphagnum. Sphagnum can suck up 40 times its volume in water.

yea I did the same I put the sphagnum in with my purps and it took off like mad!!!!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Nov. 10 2006,12:26)]how do u grow sphagnum like that??
Oo.gif
Oo.gif
OMG...thats like a gold mine there.
Oo.gif
darn!!!

ohh....can u tell me how long does it take to grow from small patch i.e., an inch probably to something like that??
Oo.gif
this is what i did...i had a very small amout that came with a plant order. what i did was i got the whole amount and chopped it up into very small pieces. i then scattered this on my bed of LFS and each piece of the Live sphagnum grew to what you see now! its very effective!!(as you can plainly see)
Alex

wow......how long did it take though? an year??

Sphagnum grows wild here. All I gotta do is take some from the edge of the lake and put it in the pot lol. I think it grows pretty fast, myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Nov. 10 2006,4:48)]wow......how long did it take though? an year??
nah much shorter. once it was all scattered about it took about 5 months to what you see now
Alex

ahhh good to know. thanx
biggrin.gif

Back