What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunburn?!

I'm pretty sure my Drosera is getting sunburned in there. The leaves are really lifting up toward the light, but the.. things on the leaves closest to the light got beautifully red and are now turning black and stumpy
Oo.gif
First I put a sheet of tissue paper under the light, now a medium-thickness white cotton shirt is under there and I have the lamp positioned so it's half on and half off the terrarium top. Is this going to be good enough? Is there anything else I can do?

The plant will eventually become accustomed to the light, right?

I had kept my old aloe plants inside  for almost all their life, but then I planted them in a pot outside this year. The plants leaves became pale and burnt, with lower ones dieing. I left it out all year thinking that it would adjust, but id did not look much better for a long time. When brought inside, the plant greened up and returned to health. Were your plants accustomed to low light and then moved to an area of intense light?  My experience with aloe showed me that dramatic changes in light should be made gradually to avoid shocking the plant. My aloe almost did not make a recovery when I left it outside to adjust. I do not know about CP’s in this regard, but it would be prudent to make small changes repeatedly instead of one large one, if indeed it was previously growing under lower light levels.

I don't really know. I ordered it from petflytrap, I would assume they'd have grown it in intense light. Then again, it was in complete darkness for a few days during shipping.

A few days in that dark should be too short to allow the plant to adapt to low light levels. How high is the humidiy and temperature? Aslo, what species do you have?

75º and my hygrometer says 70% humity, but there's just no way that's right. D. capensis.

It sounds like those are good to me... but could you clarify what you ment by
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] there's just no way that's right
?

70...is high. i have 65% in my house during summer and around 55 in thw winter. your capensis will.............. wait what kind of light are you using!? CPs can only use light from a certain type of bulb. ANYWAYS... your capensis should bounce back. it is un-killable....ive tried.
Alex

He’s right. Are you using a Incandescent bulb? They may produce too much heat in the higher powered bulbs. I distinctly remember burning small insects on my small desk light… and it was no more than 40 watts

Um um, I got the strongest flourescent I could. It says:

6500k, 1600 lumens, I see no CRI rating.

It sounds like a case of too much too fast and it / they reacted. How far away is the light? recommended distance is ~6" away. When a plant reacts, if it is strong enough, new growth will appear (eventually). For sundews, the existing leaves will either lose their dew and/or just plain wither and die. But as long as the plant itself hasn't died, you should see a new leaf emerge in about a week. And yes, the plants do adjust, so long as it doesn't kill them.

I had a capensis that was doing just fine in our bedroom, but thought I could improve the situation by bringing it into work and have it by a better window sill exposure. Unfortunately, it was January and the temps were in the teens. Although it was a short ride to work, the temp was too cold and long enough for the plant to wither by noon. I coddled the plant and in a week a new, green leaf emerged. And then anaother... and... By the summer, the plant looked like this:

Drosera_capensis.jpg

And shortly after, it sent up a flower stalk.

D_capensis_Albino_001.jpg

They're tough plants!

This is what an acclimated sundew, with decent lighting, can look like:

AR000102.jpg

Back