What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curly drosera

My D. capensis is definitely growing new leaves and stuff, but even the new ones that are coming in are curling backwards and the old leaves are like.. in complete curly-q's. Is that normal? Any idea what might be causing it?

This used to happen to mine. Apparently, it was because it was about to flower. Lots of weird stuff happens to D. capensis before/ while they flower.

-Ben

006.jpg

007.jpg

Sorry, my camera is pretty awful at taking close ups. (Or else I'm just camera-tarded)

But no, there's no buggies and definitely no dew. The media is plenty wet.. maybe too wet? She's getting 15 hours a day from a "cool daylight" flourescent bulb (6500K and 1600 lumens?) Terrarium usually hangs out around 55 to 65% humidity. Typically 75 - 80º during the day. The only other thing I can think of is that it's getting too cold in there at night, the temperature in my bedroom dips down to 68ish when I'm sleeping.

Don't really need that much humidity. Can't tell from the pic what might be causing the problem. Temps are fine. Mine get cooler temps than that when I put them outside in the spring.

Congrats you have succeeded where i couldnt, controling the uncontrolable spread of a capensis. LOL.

Mine did that for a while when it had small green bugs (pests) on the base. When I drowned them out by submerging it for 24 hours it eventually overgrew everything else in my terrarium and I couldnt control. The dew returned and it grew normally everywhere it found a place to grow.

Give it time and light. It will perk up.

Back