What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poached plants on ebay? Look...

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wild
N. globosa isn't CITES protected, which kinda sucks for this purpose.

Anyway, this happened before, and I'm pretty sure the folks at the CPUK forum got the listing taken off. Might wanna ask Aidan, I think it was him that did it...or he will at least know the details of it.

@herenorthere:
I have grown this species for a while. That is definitely a "viking" (a very nice one too...grade A/B+)

@cool85:
Nepenthes in Thailand are not weeds. There are some areas where there are large populations, but these populations are being burned/destroyed by the locals daily. You might want to contact Onny at CPUK forum if you want more info on that. N. globosa in particular is rare. It is restricted to IIRC only 1 island in Thailand, that very few people know the location of. I know there is a family that used to poach them and sell them to survive, but I think because of the efforts of Nong (at NeoFarm), they have learned to respect them and propagate them correctly

PS: Thailand is a member of CITES

The same seller is selling 5 more now!

Is there anything that can be done?

OMFG

If worst comes to worst Buy them send them back to a respected person in Thailand, or w/e it is from.

But even then it is risked being poached again.

CITES PROTECT THIS PLANT in the next week PLEASE!!!

CITES wont do anything. Maybe someone can contact Nong at NeoFarm and see what he says. Apparently he knows the location of these plants and may be able to do something about the poachers

at it again:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Carnivorous-plants-Nepenthes-Viking-in-thailand_W0QQitemZ300067220073QQihZ020QQcategory
Z75643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300067220073" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Carn....7220073</a>

or if that link doesn't work, ebay Item number: 300067220073

Yeah I've seen several auctions of his since the creation of this thread.

Hey, they could come from his property. If I had property covered in CP's I'd have every right to sell each and every one if I wanted to. Some people care more about money than the well being of a species that could very well be on the decline. I mean.. maybe wishful thinking but maybe to him if it grows on his property it's still wild? Like a ... wild dandylion or something lol.

I hate people like that. I hate bad ethics. I hate bad customer service and I hate people stupid enough to try to sell illegally on ebay.

Even if it is growing on his property it's still safe to assume that he is violating either Thialands law or the country he his shipping to law by shipping them internationally. So I tried to write Ebay this letter but it says that the page is not responding.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would like to report this listing because the seller is offering to ship the item worldwide. It is illegal to ship or receive this item without the required permit. Also the seller states that he removed the plants from the wild. I don't know Thailand's law regarding poaching but I think it is safe to assume that what he is doing a violation of one or more local laws.

The plant he is selling is called a nepenthes. Nepenthes are becoming more and more rare because of poaching and habitat destruction. I have noticed that this seller has repeatedly sold plants native to Thailand. Please review this auction to determine if it is a violation of your "Importation of Goods" policy.

Thank you
Mark Todd

I'll try again later.

Our favorite seller has received some "positive" negative feedback. I wonder if this is someone who just bid on it and never sent payment or actually got screwed in the shipping.

xvart.

edit: since the auction just ended yesterday I guess he never even tried to get the plant. Just taking one for the team!

Last edited:
Ozzy, have you gotten a message from eBay yet or haven't you tried again?

xvart, it's a really good thing that someone gave him that feedback, I wonder if it was someone from here? Although surely we'd know that if it was.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off.

Edit: *sarkophage* (the person that made the negative feedback) has not recieved any negative feedback as of yet. Maybe the seller doesn't care or he/she hasn't noticed yet. Let's hope that *sarkophage* gets away with it since he/she was just pointing out an injustice.

Last edited:
Ozzy, have you gotten a message from eBay yet or haven't you tried again?

xvart, it's a really good thing that someone gave him that feedback, I wonder if it was someone from here? Although surely we'd know that if it was.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off.

Edit: *sarkophage* (the person that made the negative feedback) has not recieved any negative feedback as of yet. Maybe the seller doesn't care or he/she hasn't noticed yet. Let's hope that *sarkophage* gets away with it since he/she was just pointing out an injustice.

sarkophage = flesh eater = carnivore? (Greek vs Latin) ???

I also sent ebay a message using the "report this listing." I would imagine that the only response we will get back is an auto response "we are looking into this" and "thanks for blah blah blah."

xvart.

Lol Ebay sucks. My mom got ripped off several thousand bucks on a Tanzanite she bough like 6 months ago and ebay is "still looking into it"

It was the cleanest Tanzanite with the best color i've ever seen! Probably because it was made from resin and you could tell as soon as you picked it up! We even had it sent to the GIA for evidence and my mom is still filing claims. Paypal would only pay for like 300 bucks. Ripoffs man.

Holy hell! I love eBay but I would never pay for something over say 500 dollars with it? It's just not stable enough and it's way too much to lose... but your mom collects gems? That's pretty cool, I do too.. but mine are pretty much useless.. I more or less collect them for the "pretty colors".

I've bought like 23 things from eBay in the past like 3 months and haven't gotten ripped off yet. :D Could be luck? I usually always just stare at an auction and read it like 300 times before I actually order something. A little paranoid I am.

Yeppers. She's a gem fanatic lol.

I think paying 15K for a rock in some gold is kind of dumb but whatever lol. I've only got a couple of gems she gave me. a 25 ct. madira (or whatever it's called) citrine and a 40 or so ct. topaz. They are my birthstones lol.

Most of the ones I have I got from a cool nature stores for a dollar a piece. Like I said... preeettyy.

Anyways.. did anyone get a response from eBay?

Anyways.. did anyone get a response from eBay?
Yes, I did. It follows:

ebay said:
Dear James,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to complain about the seller. I
will be glad to assist you.

I have forwarded your email to the concern department for you and they
will answer you soon. I appreciate your effort in this matter. You can
report the seller to our Investigations Team by clicking on the "Report"
link at the bottom of the page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,
Ray P.

eBay Customer Support

Anyone surprised?

xvart.

Who would want poached plants anyway? They're much better steamed or stir-fried.

Lol.... stir-fried neps....

I didn't expect eBay to go all crazy about it like "OMFG POACHER" and send out a SWAT team or something but I think they actually will look into it and delete their eBay account and stuff. At least I hope so...

FYI,
As other's have mentioned, this is at least the 2nd time this person has posted these plants for sale. It has generated significant discussion on the Omnisterra listserver....

Back