What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoa!

• Thread starter Ambellina
  • Start date
There's something strange growing in my terrarium!

008.jpg

Oo.gif
What's happening?! What is it? And is it going to eat me? Or, more importantly, is it going to eat my D. capensis?!
rock.gif

EDIT

009.jpg

There's another one on the other side of the terrarium!
sign_help.gif

No it is more than likely a weed seed that caught a ride with the LFS or it might be a plant your interested in. Let it grow and see what it forms. The worst that could happen is you will have a weed to pull later on.

I've seen things similar in my pots, except that I don't have the pronged growth at the end. I would imagine that it is just a weed - adds a little color and livelyhood!

OT: What is that dish thing in your terrarium? It looks like an upside down dish to me with condensation over it. Is it something to raise humidity?

xvart.

It's just a small overturned cup because I didn't have any rocks handy when I was putting the terrarium together (capensis showed up much earlier than expected) and I wanted a "hole" down to the very bottom layer so I could suck out excess water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ambellina @ Nov. 15 2006,1:49)]There's something strange growing in my terrarium!

Oo.gif
What's happening?! What is it? And is it going to eat me? Or, more importantly, is it going to eat my D. capensis?!  
rock.gif
LOL! The capensis is safe! You...?.... Lovely weather we are having....

Well, I thought it was going to be one of those sedge thingys that always pop up after topdresing with the LFS - but it doesn't look the same. I always wait a little while until it becomes obvious that whatever it is, isn't a stray sundew that germinated. But more than likely it is some grass type thingy and not a CP.

You might see all kinds of things sprout up out of dried LFS. Most common is sedge which I find annoying. If you don't want it, pull it up while its young. Sedge has remarkably long roots. I've also had some nice ferns grow in my tanks. Those I don't mind.
smile.gif

not grass or sedge, but a dicot of some type

Back