What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Druggie Neighbors

what to do? some new neighbors just moved in about a week ago at these townhomes i'm living in. there is a driveway area where the garage door are. there are 8 garages that go to this driveway (4 per building)

anyway, the first irritant is that one evening, it seemed as though they were using their garage as a party barn- people being loud chasing each other around, loud music, etc. this only happened once though so i blew it off as an isolated incident.

last night, as we were trying to get our baby into the car, it smelled of weed so bad- either they were in their garage smoking (the garages aren't sealed very well) or they were outside smoking. probably the latter. i was afraid of my baby getting a contact high. i said something to my husband while in the garage- surely they could hear me and subtly get the message that it's not okay to get the neighborhood high.

today, as i get home from work, there are about ten of them and their little 13 month old. the baby is running around and the grown-ups are in the driveway cutting open a cigar and dumping it out (partly on the baby's head as he's running) so they can roll a blunt. IN THE FREAKING DRIVEWAY!!! OUTSIDE!! i don't have an auto garage opener so it was pretty awkard having to get out of my car- right where they are doing their drugs. of course, i'm scared to say anything cause there's like 10 of em- each one much larger than me.

contrary to what some ignorant ghetto mother f's think, not everybody does drugs. i don't have a problem with people who smoke weed, as long as they do it privately. what really sucks is i did my best to check out the crime stats for this area and this complex before we moved in. i also drove through at night to observe that it was pretty peaceful. go figure- the trash moves in after we've already been living here.

that poor innocent kid is destined to be a loser and that really sucks.

i'm scared to call the cops or confront them, so i dunno what to do. it looks like they are inside now so that's good cause i really want to go check the mail and walk the dog. i was gonna go out my front door instead of out of the garage.

well, on another note, i'll be looking at home purchasing anyway at the end of this lease (which is a scary endeavor) so at least i'm not obliged to buy this townhome.

You could try reporting them to the owners of the complex. Those people are dragging the property values down. That's pretty good incentive for the owners to enforce some rules. Or at least get the police involved themselves.

I agree with endparenthis. That would be a good way to get some action done without necessarily involving yourself or the authorities.

This reminds me of a story from when I was in grade school and I would always play over at a friends house and we would watch sweet mercedes benz's and bmw's pull up to this house across the culd-e-sac with suitcases handcuffed to their wrists. People never expect this stuff to happen in "normal" middleclass neighborhoods, but it does.

Stay in school kids!

xvart.

Well, you have two choices - you can be neighborly, and have a candid talk with them, or you can be aggressive, and just tell the management and let them deal with it. (I guess you could also just try to ignore it, which would be a kind of lousy choice #3.) Unless your neighbors have serious social problems, I think if you mention to them that you can smell the weed and that they're drawing a lot of attention, the paranoia should be enough to rein them in a little. In all likelihood, they don't want trouble the same way you don't want loudness and pot smoke. You could also just let your manager know and have them take care of it, but that's a good way to get on the bad side of someone, and it sounds like there's enough strain in this situation already.
The good news I can tell you is that you don't have much to worry about your baby. It takes a lot more than the scent of pot smoke to absorb even a negligable amount of psychoactives; before getting drug tested for a job, I asked my doctor if I needed to worry about a contact-high and he basically said that for all intents and purposes there is no such thing. I get the impression that contact highs are more of a legal defense than a medical condition. This isn't to say that you should leave your kid to be exposed to smoke whenever - kids are smaller and more susceptible in that respect - but last time I read up on it, there had been no studies that had strongly shown any correlation between diseases/developmental disorders and infant marijuana exposure. (Some studies have even shown, oddly enough, that infants living in the homes of pot dealers, whom are thought to have the highest mean rates of exposure, usually are healthier due to the greater income and healthcare available to those households.) There are so many bad things in our environment nowadays; formula, car exhaust, disinfectant-based cleaning supplies and hydrogenated oils have all been shown to be harmful to babies and young children. I know that drugs are a hotbutton issue, but casual exposure to the smoke of untreated organic matter is rather innocuous compared to all the other different types of chemicals present in far greater amounts in our food, water, air and homes.
The short of it is that I feel for you - I've had my fair share of bad neighbors and I know how stressful these dilemmas can be. My advice is to try to be nice, try to be civil, but play by the rules and make sure not to take any BS.
Best luck,
~Joe

When I was a stoner, (even though I lived at home) If some one didn't like me doing it around them I would respect that, stoner's are pretty laid back people allot of the time, And will do almost n e thing not to get in trouble with the police.

So would just talk to them, just ask them to do it in their house and not out in the open. If they don't do that talk to the Person who runs the place.

This has been my experience living among people who smoke pot as well (and at college, that's a lot of people.) They will probably be super nice about it in person, and if they are responsible, self-aware types, I doubt you'll ever notice it again. They could also just be party kids, in which case they'll probably earnestly try to curtail their actions but fail for the most part. I would be quite surprised if they were uncooperative or standoffish about it.
At the same time, getting the management involved will usually mean getting the police involved in such a situation, so you have to ask yourself - do you have it out for these people, or do you just want them to keep things to themselves? Myself, I would give my left arm to replace the tweaker next door to me and his four-wheeler (which he insists on working on nearly every morning around 6 AM) with a pothead. In my experience, they're some of the most pleasant neighbors around, if not always the most mindful.
~Joe

If they are making you feel uncomfortable, call the police. There were some kids drinking and breaking glass on a playground behind my house (they purposely broke glass in one of those crawl-through tubes, and my 6-year old brother was almost hurt). It didn't start that way. They used to just hang out there. Now they have even stolen my mom's bike (I was home sick at the time and saw it happen). My point is, it could escalate and someone could get hurt. We did call the police, who now stop by a few times a week at night, shining their flashlights into the forest. Now, they are gone, probably hiding somewhere else. Just remember, this is the kind of thing that the police would want to hear about (they told us so when they came over the first time).
Brian

I don't have an answer.  If you say something to them, maybe they'll be cool about it, but they're much more likely to be jerks.  I wouldn't do it.  They aren't groovy college kids looking to get high now but expecting move into big paying careers later without any arrests along the way.

If you ask the landlord to do something, the landlord might be a weasel and tell them you complained.  If you call the police, who knows what might happen.  I guess I'd recommend an anonymous tip to the landlord.  If that doesn't work, then an anonymous call to the police when you see them out there, but they haven't seen you.  It's too bad you have to deal with this and I hope it works out.

Hows it an anonymous call when they can track you're number?

I dunno man... It's not like they are smoking crack or meth.

Talk to them and share your concerns before you take any real action.  I wouldn't worry about your kid getting a contact high. Seriously. Stay in your area and let them stay in thiers. Just ask them politely to try to keep the music down and not get too crazy. If you act like you don't care if they smoke weed, they will probably cool it.

You could send them a letter without your name on it telling them how you feel.

However, keep in mind that you don't know how they will act if you confront them. Also, the police will always keep your identity confidential. Another point, by stopping them now, you could be saving them from themselves (pot is known as the "gateway" drug), and their child, who would be taken from them if a suitable environment could not be provided. Whatever you decide to do, stay safe but don't let them threaten you or your family/friends/neighbors.
Good luck.
Brian

I've never met anyone who had pot before alcohol. I hate it when people call it that. It's not true.

Whatever you do, do not confront them! What if you confront them, telling them that you have a problem with them smoking, and they're cool with it. Then a couple days later, some elese in your building complex decides to call the cops? The drug-using neighbors will think that it was you, so then they might confront YOU, possibly putting you in danger!

In this case you cannot use sterotypes and just say that all stoners are cool and laid back; Never assume you are safe when you are around someone that uses drugs!!

As for some solutions: Do what endparenthesis suggested. Or simply make an annomous call to the police (use a pay phone). You must take action, before something serious happens. These people obviously do not care and do not have respect for the other people living around them.

One should NEVER have to be afaid walking out to the front of one's house to walk to the dog or pick up the mail.

Good luck!

Pot is a gateway drug the same way a person's first beer is the gateway to alcoholism.  Most people's first illegal drug experience is with marijuana, but few of them move beyond it in any significant way.  I'm not saying that to defend pot, because it seems to screw up plenty of people without any need for them to graduate to worse stuff.

People who would smoke pot out in the open with a kid at their feet have already failed a pretty important test of judgement.  I wouldn't confront them or do anything that would make them think I'd possibly be someone who'd call the landlord or police.  I doubt they'd do anything bad, but it isn't worth the risk they might.

I have the highest respect for people that personally confront others about differences (as in this situation). However, when little children are involved (yours) I would certainly err on the side of caution.

xvart.

one problem with confronting them... there were like 10 of them, and one of me. i'm not really a confrontational person to begin with. call me a wuss if you want (you'd probably be at least half right too) wuss or not, i don't want to get into a situation where my crappy neighbors have it in for me or worse, my baby.

i appreciated all the responses. i'm pretty sure that they heard me in the garage that day commenting on the smell. if it happens again, i'll try to anonymously contact the police or apartment office. it's REALLY dark on our part of the street, too. i think i'll ask the police to patrol more frequently anywa. there are some little girls that like to play around their garage and sometimes in the driveway. later today i saw them outside playing and potheads' garage closed.

fyi- def not college stoners. these are grown and older people who clearly have a lifestyle of smoking and being losers. possibly gangsters- one of em had tattoos on his face.

People who call Pot a gate way drug crack me up.  All the studies on the mater fail to take into account all the OTHER drugs the person takes prior to smoking there first joint or bowl.  Remember drugs are things like cafene and other OTC things.  No one ever adds that into the equation.  The only time I looked for something other to do then pot was when I couldn'd find it.  Trust me pot is alot harder to find soetimes than the harder stuff.  The gateway stuff is BS.

Also like seedjar said.  You are not going to catch a contact from the smell of pot.  That is utterlay laughable.  I understand your concern, but it is uncalled for.  Everyone labels people who smoke pot as bad people.  That is not true.  You cannot use the fact that they smoke pot as a determining factor to call the cops or error on the side of caution. You have to look at their attitude and other factors.  Now granted I do not agree with them smoking around their children, but that leads back to the fact that it is hard to catch a contact from smelling the smoke.  You would have to be locked in a car sealed up tight to catch a contact.  The ony thing the kid is in danger of is if the cops come.  It is no worse than drinking 3 or 4 beers with the kid there.  I HATE when people put a bad label on potheads.  Not all potheads are loosers with poor jobs.  Many are lawers, doctors, nurses, polatitions and more.  You cannot use that fact to make a final judgement.

I have persoinaly smoked outside while doing stuff.  I have roled stuff sitting on the pourch of a friends house.  Now when someone else was outside we moved.  We did have respect in that account.  I for one am not a bad person and would respect your wishes if you came to me with concerns.  I don't play loud music unless pulling up in my car during the day.  If it is dark then I respect people are sleeping, or in the early morning.  The only thing I can say is check out the people.  See how they act.  If they are always acting a fool and acting like hoolagins then I wouldn't confront them.  If they seem to be laid back then I would speak with them.   You can generaly tell how a person is by looking at them.  I forget the proper term for it right now.

I aplaud San Diego, CA and other places for ther bold step in the decriminalization of MJ.  I expect it to spread across the country sooner or later.  Since the illegalization was brought about by propaganda, and without ANY scientific backing.  We have just been brain washed by the government to think it is a bad thing.  In all actuality alcohol is far worse for you than pot will ever be, and a Doctor told me that.  He said the only bad part about pot is it is smoked.  THC has also been studied to protect cells against neurotoxins.  So please do not look at all potheads as bad people because they are not.  It is the bad few that everyone associates with potheads accompanied by the constant pounding by advertisements that pot is bad and it is not.  Much more harm is done by alcohol and people drunk on alcohol.

Edit: Well since you give more information about the type of people they are then I probably would not confron them either. Since you said they were the thug types then go to a payphone and place a call. That is the only way you are going to get action in this case. I have learned the landlord really doesn't even have control over them.

These people sound prettty insane. You should probably call the cops and get them out of there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I expect it to spread across the country sooner or later.

That is hilarious. You actually think the government will legalize Cannabis? Would like to live to see that day.

I am a firm against Cannabis person because of one thing, people that smoke it generally abuse it. That's the only real reason the government illegalized it, because it was getting out of hand and because of what effects it had, they called it an illegal hallucinogen. End of story. I will say the scientific facts that have been proven basically state Cannabis can be benefical to certain health conditions and doesn't present an immediate danger.

Bottom line is, people smoke it to get high, same reason people drink and chew tobacco.

Humans have nothing else better to do on their free time, so lets get frigged up on the various chemicals mankind has found.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Nov. 18 2006,8:23)]You cannot use the fact that they smoke pot as a determining factor to call the cops or error on the side of caution. You have to look at their attitude and other factors. Now granted I do not agree with them smoking around their children, but that leads back to the fact that it is hard to catch a contact from smelling the smoke. You would have to be locked in a car sealed up tight to catch a contact. The ony thing the kid is in danger of is if the cops come. It is no worse than drinking 3 or 4 beers with the kid there. I HATE when people put a bad label on potheads. Not all potheads are loosers with poor jobs. Many are lawers, doctors, nurses, polatitions and more. You cannot use that fact to make a final judgement.
i chose not to smoke and i generally don't hang around people who do. it's not the fact that they smoke that make them such big losers... it's the fact that they were doing it OUTSIDE IN A COMMON AREA- you know, a place where kids play and other people get in and out of their garages or take their trash out. i did not go into their home and judge them, they came outside. whether or not one can actually get high from contact with the smoke is irrelevant. me and my child should not have to smell it. hate me or my views all you want- just have some f-ing common courtesy and keep the stuff to yourself if you want to go smoke. like someone said earlier- i'd rather have a bunch of potheads than one crackhead or meth addict as a neighbor. JUST KEEP IT IN YOUR OWN HOME. i don't care if your a white pothead, black pothead, rich pothead, poor pothead- still a no good piece of s*#& for doing it outdoors in that fashion.

Back