What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reinstate the Draft

Democratic Representative from New York, Charlie Rangel says he will propose a bill reinstating the military draft.  Under his bill all males between 18 and 45 will be required, by law, to register and will be eligible for conscription into military service.  He was just interviewed on CNN and is serious about it.

I was just wondering how you members feel about it.

Edit….
I was watching FOX news a few minutes ago and they said Rangel’s proposal was to register ALL males between 18 and 27 and it would be MANDATORY that they serve fifteen months.  Most would be sent to the military but a few would be allowed other duties.

That's the dumbest idea i've ever heard. Required by law? Where's that free-will stuff everyone talks about? That's SEXIST!! WAKE UP PEOPLE! THIS SELECTIVE SERVICES CRAP AND THE DRAFT AND SEXIST BS!

Good news is that it will never pass. If it does, well....

See you in Mexico!

I saw the news yesterday and several political commentators said that the proposal won't get anywhere in Congress (it won't pass).

I am a university student. Do you think it might affect me (if it passes)?

mad.gif
This guy should respect people with diffrent views on the war, and if he feels so pro-war, he should go to Iraq and fight along our troops.  
mad.gif

Everyone calm down,

theres an article about that HERE

Here are some quotes fr those who dont wanna read it but wnt the gist of it
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars.

How?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year. While he said he is serious about the proposal, there is little evident support among lawmakers for it.

In 2003, Rangel proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

At a time when some lawmakers are urging the military to send more troops to Iraq, “I don’t see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft,” said Rangel, who also proposed a draft in January 2003, before the U.S. invasion of Iraq. “I think to do so is hypocritical.”

So see this guy has a history of it, has tried in the past; this is nothing new. He wont get support.

I have, howver, heard of those who think the univirsity student exemption to the draft is unfair and want it done away with.

I'll go to Canada if that happens. Being 1/4 of a mile away! I'm in college too and thats BS, if I want to further my education I'll darn well do it. No political ninnie is going to tell me otherwise. I'm already registered with the draft but heres the deal, why do they need the draft if we are a superpower? Who the heck is going to mess with us with a larger army. Nuclear weapons are an entirely different ballgame. But AFAIK our army is great.

But if it does happen, I'm fleeing, I'll only go to fight for what I think is right.

This will never happen guys. This means the politicians kids will go, too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In 2003, Rangel proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.
Just remember guys that Rangel is an influential Democrat and that they now have a majority in the house and senate.

I dunno.  Maybe it will pass.
If the ages are 18 thru 42, how many of our members will be affected?
I volunteer to baby sit your plants.

I'm a New Yorker, and I HATE NY politicions!!
I see what he's trying to do, but it's still stupid,
all the same, if I were to get drafted, I'd deal with it cause that's part of living in this Country, abiding by it's rules...

hah, rules?

I must be a crappy American. LMAO

I hears ya, I don't abide by em too often myself, haha... doubt I'd get away with someting like this though...

I won't run to Canada even though I live in Wisconsin. I might be temped to go to Ireland since I'm irish and I might go anyways. But if they do bring back the draft and I was picked I would not run. Maybe because I'm already looking into the Marines. But if I was not looking to join up and I didn't want to go to war I would tell them and let them throw me in jail. If I want to I will, but if I don't I won't. Maybe they should all get a gun and go to Iraq. Let's start with Bush. The whole point is I don't run, I stand my ground!!!

They draft me, I will tell them to stick it where the sun does not shine. I am not fighting over oil in IRAQ. Not my fault that the inept government screwed up.

If the draft actually is brought back (which I doubt it will be) I definitely wouldn't go. Like many of us here, I'm going to college and I have a future in mind that has nothing to do with the military and possibly dying over something I disagree with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 20 2006,9:08)]This will never happen guys. This means the politicians kids will go, too.
Hahaha, nice sentiment, but think again Clint. Just look at Bush.
Seriously though, I wouldn't mind serving my country, if they just let me choose how to do it. The very notion of the draft makes me want to ditch this place ASAP. Fortunately, I'm not eligible for military service - for once, my poor health pays off!
~Joe

I will see all you folks in jail! LOL The thing is if your an only child they will not draft you right away. Maybe joining the military for 15 months is a good thing and teach some of these folks dicipline. We have too many hoolagins on the streets now because mommy and daddy cannot raise them right!

I would gladdly go if called, but I am not volunterring. I am 28 and the only son so I think I am safe. I am sorry if you do not agree with the war, but the fact of thematter is you live in this country and enjoy its freedoms. If the country needs you you should go. Regardless of why you feel the war was started to begin with. You reaap the benefits of being free then you should have to chip in when needed to keep it that way. If you don;t like it go to France, Europe or some other country that is getting bombed by terroists, and is no where near as free as we are.

Travis how can this be over oil? We don't even get any of the oil from Iraq. I semi believe the fact that it is for finacial gain, but then that is only a semi belief. I do think we need to do more to get off of oil, but thank the care manufactorers for that.

Don;t forget the Dems took over the house and promised partisanship. Now look at them there is bickering among their own party. Speaker to be Nancy Pilosy just got SHUT DOWN by her own party over the Majority leader stuff. They will be able to do no better. Both parties stink right now. We need to somehow get a congressional term limit in place and open the system up to more than two parties. This two party system is not working. Don;t go say there is more than two parties, you are right there is but the system is designed to only have 2 main partied. I cannot explain it the way my government teacher did, but after he explained it it makse sense. We need more than 2 parties and term limits to the old fogies.

We needed to get rid of Sadam and punish him for his warcrime. I hope they show his hanging on TV or I can find it on the internet! Nect we need to take care of Iran. The tards! We should drop a 50 Kilo-ton Nuke right in the middle of downtown Teran and see how they like it. You want a Nuke Iran?? Well here is one, come and get it!

I would tend to agree with you, Josh, except you seem to be assuming that we need to go to war right now, and to me (and many other Americans) that's not immediately evident. I think what this country needs, more than anything else, is to get their nose out of other nations' business, before we get on the bad side of any more militant religious extremists.
I also think it's kind of odd that the only way citizens can 'serve their country' is by acting as human shields for politicians. Why can't I be drafted as a diplomat, or a political commentator, or a relief worker? The draft seems a lot more about protecting the interests of politicians than protecting the security of the country.
~Joe

PS - I think this idea is funny. Instating the draft to prevent war? Very novel.

What else would it be over? Freeing the people over there? Nukes? North Korea and Iran are/were way ahead of Iraq. We had no visual pictures of "weapons of mass destruction". Granted Sadam is not a good man but I thought we had bigger fish to fry at the time. Maybe revenge?

Dudes, just tell em your homo lol.

I'm gay, I'm my dad's only son, and I've got asthma. I'm staying right here
smile.gif

Lol, I want gays to openly be accepted into the military but not when there's a draft. What a double-standard LMAO! Guilty!

I would go if called upon. I would have some issues, but i would do it. And i assume that the fact that i am asexual (no sexual interests) wont be a problem. Wonder if thats good or bad...

I could be wrong about this but I swear Bush said he would not have a draft. So as long as he's the President he will veto it.

If the draft does happen orchidguy brings up a good point. We all value the freedoms we have here. To get those freedoms lots of blood had to be shed. Today's world is different from the old days where we could draw out borderlines and single out crazy rulers. Today countries such as Iran sponsor terrorists groups to do what they want. It is impossible to single out a terrorist group which is interleaved between citizens and multiple countries.

Even if you disagree with the war, you do understand that isolating ourselves from the rest of the world does not fix our problems. The fact is just because the U.S.A. exists, and because our principles exist people will hate us and want to destroy us. It's the same with Israel (who's neighboring countries will not accept its existance). When you have enemies who do not accept your existance and despise that you exist how do you go about solving this problem? Ignoring them will just enable them to do more damage to us on our own ground because they will grow in numbers and sophistication. You can try to diplomatically fix things but once again we tried this before in the past and this just allowed for us to be minipulated by countries as Iraq and N. Korea. I whole heartedly wish that these things could be solved by us isolating our selves from everyone elses business and by diplomacy. But the fact is we live in a fast-paced globalized world today and hesitation leads to more innocents dying.

Back