User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: im not going to be so nice next year.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually elephants are a poor example.......there is not enough habitat tolet nature take its course. an adult elephant has no natural preditors other than man(yes man is a natural preditor, we have been hunting them since we were still wearing skins). Kenya does not allow the hunting of elephants, Kenya has the absolute worst problem with their populations, no hunting means the animals are worth nothing except to ivory poachers. other African countries allow the limited and controlled hunting of elephants. a good portion of these trophy fees go to anti poaching and habitat procurement. the absolute best anti poaching programs in existance in Africa are not run by the governments, infact most of the government programs are quite underfunded, the safari outfitters are the ones making a difference in the poaching. do you have any clue what an elephant is worth? the trophy fee alone is around $17,000 for an elephant carrying ivory. add on to this the daily rates(usually $300ish per day), you have to pay for 20 days worth of hunting elephant reguardless of weither you shoot one on the first day or the last or even shoot one at all. you can hunt elephants not carrying ivory aswell, IIRC those cost $7,000 to pull the trigger as well as the daily rates. when all is added up thats alot of incentive to protect and manage herds of elephants as each and every elephant is worth the equivilent of a nice car here in the states, let alone what they are worth over in the poorer regions in Africa, its an incredible incentive to keep herds alive and happily producing young.

but Kenya took the other route, banning hunting, and their elephant herds out side of the few national parks are being wiped out. hunters are a part of the solution, anti-hunters(as in activists, not those who dont hunt because they choose not to) are a part of the problem because unlike hunters they most often refuse to put their money where their mouth is.......

as for me eating leopard, sure i will, no problem what so ever. i have eaten mountain lion, why should leopard be any different? BTW leopard numbers are and have always been increasing, they are like the coyote in the USA, they are highly adaptable and do not fear man. infact there is a decent population living in Nairobi, not the outskirts of the city but right in the middle of the metropolitan area living on rats, pigeons, dogs and the occational person.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.. I know what you'r saying but to me that's like killing a dolphin... they are cute... lol

I don't have moral problems with it, it's a personal thing. I just can't comprehend shooting an elephant.. cute..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no real interest in shooting an elephant either. the cost has nothing to do with it, just have no interest and im not really sure why. though challenge wise hunting elephants on foot, up close is one of the top adrenalin rushes there is cause there is a very real chance of you becoming a lil red spot on the savanah. have no real interest in shooting rhino or lions either though a chance at a female lion might be interesting..........males though i dont find that interesting(hunting wise) and i have no real desire to hunt them.
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Nov. 23 2006,7:50)]Was that Sarcasm or what? Also I never said Hunters where the bad guys, Ive killed quite a few squirles rabbits and birds, for the heck of it.
    I think most serial killers do that, too.

Seriously that's messed up. You'r a christian but you have a TOTAL disregard for life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Sean, i have no problem with you voicing your opinion. i, personally, have nothing against going over to Africa and shooting more critters than im going to eat. however the meat is not wasted. all the meat from the animals i shoot goes to local families. you should see what happens after an elephant is shot. ive seen film of it several times. ppl come from miles around to help butcher and take home their share. an animal weighting several tons is reduced to nothing but bones in 12 hours. so while i may not be eating more than a couple steaks from the animals i shoot the meat will not go to waste.

hell most of my hunting here is done for my enjoyment, though i generally take lil enjoyment out of the actual act of killing. its just part of hunting. i eat the big game i shoot here. i butcher it in my own kitchen, process it in to hamburger or sausage or jerky. my wifes kids have no illusions about where their meat comes from and they ful realize the act of buying meat at a store is no different from killing the animal themselves.

so far this hunting season, the only animal killed by someone from our house was my wifes meat doe i posted a pic of. i have not shot anything and with a storm moving in and the season closing on Sunday i wont be shooting anything. all in all i had a great season as far as im concerned weither i killed something or not.
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]shooting rhino
    i thought rhinos were imperied. Its not like elephents are actually needing to be shot because, like it was stated, they hae no natural animies anyways. They may be dangerous and damaging, but it shoule be noted that elephants are dissapeiring from many areas very quickly, plus its not exactly that the populations hae a high capacity to recover from exploitation with their very low birthrate.

African elephant population went from 1.3 million in 1970 to roughly 600,000 in 1989, to 272,000 in 2000 and then to between 400,000 and 660,000 in 2003. If you call that an increasing pest population... no. In some places, yes indeed, because there the large predators of calfs are overhunted.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More animal and plant species are threatened by habitat loss than by people hunting or collecting them.

I think Rattler & his family are nuts for wanting to spend that kind of money for a trip, but I think they're nuts for a lot of other reasons too. I don't see how they'll cause any more damage to "nature" than any other tourists. As he pointed out, hunters can help people who don't own a piece of the tourism industry. That's pretty rare for tourists.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch the issue is elephants and rhinos are making the best come backs in areas that allow and carefully monitor hunting. it comes down to which is actually better for the species............allow them to be hunted where they are doing good and hopefully with the increased revenue from the hunts purchase more hunting blocks which are inturn looked over by antipoaching patrols or transport the animals and turn them loose where they are likely to be shot by poachers? atleast in hunting areas they are able to contribute to the gene pool for several years before hunting is done(with rhinos only older males are taken) the hunting of rhino is quite limited. IIRC black rhino have only been in huntable numbers in a couple of areas in the last couple of years, cost i think is around $100,000 when all is said and done. white rhino have always existed in huntable numbers in some regions and are cheaper though still cost more than trophy elephant IIRC though the actual hunt is easier.

Bruce................basically the options are get a new car in a year or just deal with what we have(a 2002 Impala) and put a good 200,000 some odd thousand on it, save up and take a trip we will remember as long as we are alive.....being that we get a new shop truck every few years to use aswell we are saying to heck with a new car lets take a trip of a life time......its only money, not like i can take it with me
    cervid serial killer

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast