What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod and Limewire...

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i got limewire recently and its simply amazing!! i do have a few questions. i have an iPod nano and therefore have iTunes. i have been able to get songs from Limewire to iTunes but it takes a while and i have to keep deleting things... what i do is save my songs on a playlist from limewire then import that on iTunes. but once i need another song i have to redo it all over again and have to delete the old playlist. is there an easier way to transfer the songs from limewire to iTunes???
thanks
Alex

Personally, other than the name, Limewire sucks. I prefer bearshare but I can only download WMA's on it. If anyone knows how to find mp3's let me know!

It's been a looong time, but I can tell you there is a way on iTunes to add one song and leave it at that. I havn't used it since I was in the 9th grade so I can't remember how it works.

There's hope! Just wait 'till someone who knows they they are talking about chimes in

biggrin.gif

Get BitTorrent. It's much faster, and it's harder for the RIAA to level a lawsuit at you if you're sharing via BT, theoretically. Besides, you can get any sort of file from BitTorrent (not just music.)
As for importing your songs to iTunes, just open the files up using iTunes and, unless you've changed the preferences from their default settings, they'll be copied into a library directory where iTunes manages things on its own. Once it's in iTunes, you should be able to delete the original file, as iTunes maintains its own copy in a folder somewhere (usually called 'iTunes Library' or 'iTunes Music.')
Don't use Limewire's built-in playlist thing, it's a waste of time. The files themselves are all you need.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Get BitTorrent. It's much faster, and it's harder for the RIAA to level a lawsuit at you if you're sharing via BT, theoretically. Besides, you can get any sort of file from BitTorrent (not just music.)

If we're on the topic of BT, then we need to talk clients. I use Azureus for managing my torrents, but another popular one (that I have yet to try) is utorrent.
What do you use, Joe?

Cough cough.. someone tell me what to download for bittorrent and where cough cough...

I use the official BitTorrent distribution, because it's the most compatible with trackers in my experience. A lot of third-party clients don't entirely comply to the BT standard, and some even 'cheat' to make it seem as though you're uploading more than you actually are, so many of these clients are banned by the more discriminating trackers. You can get BitTorrent at bittorrent.com.
I'm on a Mac, so I have an exotic selection of BT clients. I liked Bits on Wheels, because it had some nice visualization tools to show which connections were doing what, but otherwise it was kind of underpowered and just a little buggy. I've also heard that TomatoTorrent was good, but it was so universally banned that I wasn't able to download a single thing of interest with it. BitTorrent works great, and has all the options that you find in other clients... the only downside to the official BitTorrent is that it doesn't allow you to cheat. You can even set upload limits, allowing you to be super stingy if you want to - all that you lose is the opportunity to misrepresent the amount of data you're contributing to the network.
~Joe

Remember that you must agree (I'm pretty sure) to use those programs to only transfer files that you own etc. Not for downloading illegal copies of stuff. Be it programs, music, pictures etc.... Please do not discuss these programs in a manner that is not allowed by the laws. These topics will be removed if discussion of how to use them illegally continues.
Andrew

Yes... He's right guys. Only do things within the boundaries of the law. They are really cracking down on peeps these days.

Of course we only use these programs for legal purposes (winkwinknudgenudgesaynomore)

I'm downloading bittorrent now, for strictly legal purposes.

See guys, maybe it's just the raver it me, but we are all one! Life is about sharing! Except when it comes to my pie, of course.

Woah! I typed in Dj tiesto (just to see, promise) and it popped up on firefox! Cool!

HOLY CRAP! fast! oh wait... now it's downloading...

Now then, what's a .torrent file, and can I put it on my psp If I chose to do so legally?

How do I play these?

.torrent files contain information describing a set of files for transmission via BT, and routing information identifying people hosting those files. You download a .torrent file from a tracker, which monitors peers in the BT network and maintains lists of which peers are sharing what files. The .torrent file tells your BT client where to connect to get the files, and how to put the data together once it's been transmitted to you. Once you have a .torrent, you open it with your client, and your client uses the data in the .torrent to download and assemble the files you're downloading.
~Joe

Oh well naturally

lmao. right over my head... All I really care about is if these are mp3's and if they will go on a mobile device lol.

It says it's got 9 hours to go on one legally downloaded song... Man that's fast...

You don't actually play the .torrent files. When you find something you want on a BitTorrent tracker, you download the .torrent file for the stuff that you want (a file or sometimes a collection of files) and that .torrent file tells BitTorrent how and where to find the files you want downloaded.
For example, you can find collections of literature via BitTorrent. You download a small file, call it books.torrent, from a tracker on the web. This .torrent contains a list of files (the individual books, say twelfthnight.txt, catcherintherye.pdf and kingjamesbible.doc) and some information regarding how large each file is and other things needed to make sure that the files you download arrive as they are supposed to be and not garbled in transmission. You take books.torrent and open it in BitTorrent; BitTorrent reads the .torrent and uses the information it contains to find and contact other BitTorrent users who have the files twelfthnight.txt, catcherintherye.pdf or kingjamesbible.doc. Up to this point, you haven't actually downloaded any of the books you were looking for. Once BitTorrent has found other users with the files mentioned in your .torrent, it downloads those files directly from their host to your computer. As your .torrent is named books.torrent, your files would probably appear in the directory specified by BitTorrent, inside a subdirectory entitled 'books.' The .torrents themselves contain none of the data you're looking for - just instructions to help BitTorrent find it.
~Joe

You can also search for albums, which will probably bring more results than searching for individual songs. The great thing about torrents is you can choose to download only the files from it that you need (one specific song on that album for example).

Not that I would download anything or recommend downloading anything. Ever. Scout's honor.

I teach drums at a local music store and I have several students who like to use Limewire to download free music. Every week I give them the same lecture!

"If you made money by playing music and people were downloading your music for free, how would you feel?"

Doesn't really work, but I try. I'm a rabid legal music download advocate. But you know, I don't have trouble with people who just use Limewire (or any other P2P program) to sample music and then legally buy what they like.

I use iTunes exclusively for music these days and I think it's one of the best things to happen to music in a long time. It's so convenient!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 27 2006,12:59)]Doesn't really work, but I try. I'm a rabid legal music download advocate. But you know, I don't have trouble with people who just use Limewire (or any other P2P program) to sample music and then legally buy what they like.
I think this is a better tactic to focus on.  Asking your average netizen to stop downloading free music will not likely change the behavior of a single person.  I prefer to remind them that these artists are entrepreneurs fighting to make it in the real world like the rest of us.  Asking downloaders to either purchase the albums they like and use the most after-the-fact, or at least donate to the band, will go a lot further in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with that last option (morally, not legally).  The artists themselves often see a small percentage of any given sale.  The rest goes to agents, distributers, and all the other 'middle men'.  Downloading a CD and using the 'donate' link on an artists website to send them $5.00 will probably net the band more than if you purchased that same CD legally.  It also increases material efficiency of the industry as you're cutting out unneeded material production and physical distribution channels.

Just my $0.02.

The internet isn't the reason that I don't buy albums. I've always shared music with my friends via tapes and CDs, so really, pirated music only expands my selection of choices. I don't think that music piracy really hurts artists, either - with almost every concert I've gone to, it's been a band I found out about through recordings that were given to me. Any tiny loss of sales is made up by word of mouth. If it weren't, then don't you think radio and cassette recorders would have killed the recording industry a long time ago?
A lot of people, especially young people, can't afford to buy new CDs all the time - they certainly can't afford to both purchase albums and attend concerts. The way I see it, the bands I want to support only get a fraction of my dollar, no matter what I do; either 99.9% of my money goes to record companies, or 90% goes to TicketMaster. Concerts are more fun, anyways. If you look at albums that smaller bands produce and distribute at or near cost, you'll realize that record companies are turning over 1000% profit on most albums, and vastly more for popular artists. Bands around town here make good money selling their albums at $4 a pop, even when they're only producing CDs 500 at a time.
Besides all that, fandom has become kind of detached from the profitablity of mainstream bands. The amount of money coming in to popular bands directly from fans is likely a pittance compared to the profit to be made on advertising endorsements and soundtrack deals.
~Joe

I'm sorry if britney has to do without her Gulf Stream IV private jet and settle for a Gulf Stream III. Poor Spears, I hear the GSIII doesn't even have a remote for the surround sound HD entertainment center!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 27 2006,4:45)]I'm sorry if britney has to do without her Gulf Stream IV private jet and settle for a Gulf Stream III. Poor Spears, I hear the GSIII doesn't even have a remote for the surround sound HD entertainment center!
I'm sure there are a plethora of people poorer than you saying the same about some of the luxuries you enjoy, if not in this country then in many others.  To imply that any elitist or elitist group has the right to determine what each person is deserving of is the hallmark of a communistic economic system.  While sound in theory, such a system has never produced positive results in practice and to force such a system on unwilling participants is morally questionable.

Put another way, Britney can afford a private jet because she deserves it.  If she didn't do something of enough value to deserve it then demand would be less, pricing would need to be reduced, and she would receive a smaller compensation.  Anger at the way her fans spend their money does not justify theft.

However, I was not aware she had a Gulf Stream IV private jet.  Do you have a citation for that? In my experience musicians tend to be a lot less wealthy than the general public believes.

Back