What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AP college coarses..... online!

Less time? NOOO!!!

Oh well. It's worth it for my future I guess.

Oh yeah, by the way, I did a little bit of figuring out today.

Turns out that between only my AP Bio and Calc tests, I saved myself from doing 24 units of college classes. That is, units transferrable to Berkeley College. Berkeley is like the west coast equivalent of Ivy League.

Needless to say I was happy when I found out I got out of 24 units from those two tests alone.
wink.gif.gif

I went to a college "fair" today. I want to go to Berry. It's a comprehensive liberal arts college, and the people who follow their pre-med track have a 95% success rate in getting a job in the medical field. The lady said they basically "feed" student to Emory. She said that they primarily look at volunteer work when their grades aren't quite as high as they'd like.

http://www.berry.edu/

Look at that campus! It's like Hogwarts!

There's no comparison between an AP class/test and an actual college class.  My intro college classes blew me away by their breadth and intricacy.  I was in college to be an engineer and my intro history and  anthropology classes almost made me switch majors; my first economics class awakened a deep interest in economics; and my intro geology class made me decide to become a geological engineer.

Those are all classes/subjects I would have sworn I knew all about before college.  I don't know which of them have AP tests, but I'm real glad I had to learn about them in college from people who dedicated their lives to those subjects.  I don't know whether they're a symptom or a cause, but AP classes seem to fit right in with the growing inclination to see college as a trade school, whether leading to a bachelors degree in business or a PhD in biology.

People haven't been exposed to much by the end of high school and AP classes help them avoid being exposed to much else by the time they graduate from college.  The only exception is for people who can't afford college otherwise and need to get as many free credits as possible.  It means sacrificing some learning, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

It's not as good? I didn't know that. My rents say a college credit is a college credit and as long as it's acredited it's ok. I dunno. I'm new to all of this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Dec. 02 2006,1:53)]I was in college to be an engineer and my intro history and anthropology classes almost made me switch majors;
I find that funny, I entered college to be an engineer and ended up with a double major in Anthropology and History. Had I not had to take those intro course I would have never found them and probably dropped out of college as being an engineer was not for me, Im just not weird, I mean smart enough. LOL.

I would say if you can get out of basics like algebra or basic writing classes they would be helpful to skip, as basic math you should already know I would hope and the general basic writing classes I found to be a huge waste as what ever major you pick will re-teach you to write "their way" which means the only way they will give you good grades in that subject.

AP tests aren't necessarily the equivalent of the college class, that's very much true. And I'd highly recommend that if the class is part of your major that you retake the class (if you see fit.)

However, I sure found it nice to get some history credits done early and more cheaply. Because history does not pertain to my major, it's not a problem.

And if nothing else, AP classes are a great prep, and can be great motivating factors for future decisions (If I hadn't taken AP bio, I don't know if I'd have known what I want to do today.)

I didn't think the intro geology I took as a sophomore pertained to my civil engineering major, but it opened my eyes to a subject I had never considered and I became a geological engineer.  Many years later, I decided to get a MS in geography, focused on mineral resources.  Definitely following up on my geology background.  The department forced and I mean really forced me to take an intro human geography class.  That was another eye opener and I changed direction to learn urban geography.  Earlier this year, as I was finishing that degree, I took a medical geography class and liked it so much and see so much opportunity in it that I'm applying to a masters of public health program.  I think it's fair to say I'm going into public health at 45 because I had to take intro geology at 19.  I wonder what I'd be doing if I had been able to take an AP test instead.

I loved my AP Courses (except Chemistry, bad teacher). If this hadn't been mentioned before: you need to check with the colleges you are looking into to see if they first, accept AP credit, and second what score you need to get on the test to get that credit. I think for most colleges it is a 3 and above (out of five).

I took AP US History, World History, Biology, and Chemistry. I had fun in every single one of them, and enjoyed them immensely. Except Chemistry, our teacher didn't really teach us anything we didn't get from general chemistry. I'd say they prepared me for a college type course. They are not equal, but they do help.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I took AP US History, World History, Biology, and Chemistry. I had fun in every single one of them, and enjoyed them immensely

And that's really what's most important.

Back