What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do about Charlie

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
About a month ago I took in a rescue dog.  I had been [foolishly] considering getting a second dog so my dog Ollie would have someone to play with when I'm not home. I got a call from a friend on business trip in NC saying there was a wire fox up for adoption.  I was given this info:  he was imported from England as a gift for a man to show and breed.  The man suddenly died 2 weeks after Charlie arrived.  He went to another home for about a year and a half.  That man had to give him up (divorce). Charlie then went into two temporary home for short time periods.  I was told he was housebroken, played well with other dogs and was very sweet.  And also I've had two wire fox terriers so I know the breed and what wire ownership is all about.

Sounded good!  I [foolishly] said, "Bring him up!"

This is when Life in Hell started.  Upon his arrival, I discover that in his toy basket was a chewed up barking collar.  Ok.  News flash...he's a barker!  I wasn't told about that.  I had a neighbor complain within 3-4 days about him barking.  So that started the stress of having to watch him constantly for barking when he was outside.  So...No. 1) BARKER

THEN...he climbed my fence and got loose resulting in a day lost from work driving around my neighborhood crying and puttin up lost-dog flyers.  Thanks to the kindness of dog-loving neighbors, I recovered Charlie safe and sound that evening.  But now I cannot put him outside alone so I have to go out with while he is leashed.  I feel terrible that he can't run and play outside with Ollie but I can't have him getting loose again (I live on a 4-lane avenue).  So...No. 2) Fence jumper so can't be unattended in the yard

Charlie also climbs on my kitchen counters constantly...knocking things off into the floor.  Last nite it was a potted orchid.  Orchid bark everywhere along with a cutting board.  This happens 2-3 at least every nite.  So...No. 3) Destructive Climbing

The worst of it all...he poops and pees constantly in the house...hardwood floors and oriental rugs.  So...No. 4) Housebroken??  NOOOOOT!  It doesn't matter how often he is taken out, walked, how many times he pees outside...he still pees in the house.  Some of this is marking territory but often its just plain-long peeing.  AND he rarely will poop on the leash.  He saves it for the house.  My evenings are spent cleaning up pee after pee...and poop.  Some morning I clean up 3 pees and a poop before I leave for work.  I get home from work and spend an hour cleaning up pees and poops I didn't see before and new ones.  Last nite it was 3.5 poops (the .5 was the partial one when I caught him going and I screamed at him and he ran.)  I finally sit down for 5 minutes and then there is the CRASH in the kitchen.  I have to get up clean up the mess in the kitchen.

It goes like this every day.  Every minute of my time is spent dealing with Charlie...either being outside with him on the leash or cleaning up messes.

NOW...all that aside...Charlie is very sweet.  He's bright, agile, graceful, smart and very loving.  He gets along well with Ollie although there have been some episodes of him showing some sudden aggression towards him which also concerns me.  But the point is...he isn't all bad.  He is funny when he plays.  He's just amazing with a tennis ball!

This is breaking my heart.  I feel like I must get rid of Charlie.  I have so many other issues going on right now plus the holidays are coming and I have no time for myself, the house or yard.  Social life?  Forget it.  Its 24-7 Charlie.  I hate to bounce him to another home.  I also don't want Charlie to have a life of being crated ALL the time.  I try hard to give him some freedom but that's when the problems start.  He has little life as it is.  I feel bad.

The previous owner said she'd take him back if it didn't work out.  I also have a phone number for a local fox terrier rescue.  So...I'm having a hard time making the decision to give him up but I just can't keep doing this.  He's ruining my house and there is no end in sight.

Any suggestions?

sign_help.gif

confused1.gif

Some of my friends had a dog with similar behavior. Their solution was to give it to someone who owned a farm where it could have a little more space.
Brian

As painful as it is, you have to give up the dog. I'm the biggest dog-lover there is, but this is just too much. Your heart is in the right place, but you have to consider yourself as well. The dog is NOT as advertised, and it sounds like you've done your best to make it work. But it isn't. It's clear from your post that there are just too many issues and too much stress. It doesn't do Charlie any good to be crated and leashed all the time, and it's not doing you or Ollie any good either.

I encourage having a second dog - I have two and I seriously think it's easier than one. But that doesn't mean any two dogs work out, and there's nothing wrong with you that makes it not work out - it just doesn't sometimes. You'll all be happier finding Charlie a new home.

Capslock

PAK I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. I have to agree with Capslock, or one other thing I can suggest is some major training. Take him to obdeience classes or have a trainer come to your house, that's all I can suggest. I admire you for putting up with him cause it shows that you do love him, but unfortunetly sometimes it doesn't work out. Also if Charlie has shown some aggression to Ollie, it might be best to let Charlie go. I would hate it if they got into a fight especially when no one else was home. I'm sorry PAK
sad.gif

wow! you put up with WAAAAY more than i would ever in my wildest dreams have the patience for. my chihuahua mix stays crated most of the time because "house broken" apparently meant that she'll just merely go in your house. the crate is her safe and comfy place-
keep us updated on Charlie.

i agree, that the dog ought to go. crap! the baby's eating dirt
!!

I was about to say Charlie appears to be a typical WFT but reread your post and saw you're familiar with them. I agree with everyone who has suggested passing him along to someone else who's better equipped for a dog with his quirks. That'll free you to adopt a different and hopefully more placid rescue dog.

So sorry to hear about this. I wish i could help. But i can say that two dogs are better than one. We had one dog for the longest time, then brought in another. They compete for our attention, wich sddens me but is not unexpected. They go everywhere togeather. One wot go out without the other. I love them dearly, and they keep eachother company when we are away (or me, who doesnt see them much anymore
rock.gif
).

Two dogs are for you. But not this dog.

Thanks for the input.
sad.gif
At least I'm not crazy for thinking I need to give him up. Everytime Charlie is good for a while, I feel like maybe I can make it work. And then he does something to spoil it.

I thought we were having a good day today. He pooped on our walk this morning. That's an accomplishment. I left him outside with his leash hooked to a pole but kept my eye on him every 5 minutes. He was able to reach the fence and I caught him climbing it. At least seeing that, I knew how he got out the first time. He climbed it like a ladder (chain link fence). So I knew it wasn't something he could do really fast. I was able to let him off the leash as long as I was outside watching him. He was able to get more exercise and play with Ollie. I'm thinking today is going well...no indoor pees or poops.

Just a few minutes ago he peed on my Ralph Lauren bedspread on my bed. There went the almost good day.
sad.gif
So that makes two different beds he's peed on and the couch pillow, not to mention countless times on the floor and rugs.

I know I have to get rid of him. I can't keep doing this. But I want him to go to a good home. And no, its not because he's a wire fox terrier. I've had two of them and know the breed. They are great dogs...challenging, smart, energetic, funny. That's why I got Ollie after Jonah died. Once you have a fox terrier...nothing else will do.
smile.gif
Charlie is just...Charlie.

down.gif

That is a bummer PAK.  Tough decision.

See if you can find him a good home on a farm where he has room to run, chase critters, be chased by critters and be an outdoor dog.
Maybe offer the farmer a 50# bag of dog food to sweeten the pot.
rock.gif

agreed. it seems everyone would happier if Charlie went to a farm-type place. like you said, PAK, just cause he's having a good half-a-day doesn't mean that he's cured of his bad habits. kudos to you for trying so hard.

Back