What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dusted off the scroll saw

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
One of the many, many hobbies I do from time to time is woodworking.
I have not made any intarsia or other woodworking items for around 2 years. So I decided I was going to make some Christmas gifts for some family members and dusted off the scroll saw.
This is the first piece I made for my brother-in-law, who's a Disney freak.

SorcererMickey.jpg

I have a few more pieces I'd like to get done before Christmas but that stupid 40 hour a week thing they call a job, (actually more like 50-55 Hrs) eats up a lot of my time.

My other woodworking that I've made over the years can be seen here:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/Woodworking.html

Awsome! That looks great! You should do a CP one...a nep or flytrap?

Where DO you find the time to do all this stuff?

Don't let Disney see this, they'll come after you for using their character without permission
wink.gif.gif

That's really cool how it looks almost 2-D. The chickadee one rocks! I'm kinda a chickadee freak....

-Ben

Those are all amazing! You are so talented! I love the hummingbird and the Beta looks just like mine! Good job Elgecko!
cool.gif

Great job! I love the Mickey!!!

Thanks for the comments.

PAK,
I have a very understanding wife.
biggrin.gif

larry,
I have wondered about that myself.

You have a very nice talent there. Of course i love the birds, but honestly they are all good. Some very lucky people are going to get those, right? You should be proud.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, what are your other hobbies? Not to pry or anything, just curious.

oh.gif
I thought I'd posted in this thread already...

I meant to! This is a VERY cool piece, Steve. Thanks for posting this.
smile.gif
(I showed it to one of my brother's and they throught it was awesome too ;) )

Very talented. I can barely cut a straight line with a scroll saw, let alone a beta fish.
wink.gif.gif

How did you do the landscape one?

Probably should do a Nepenthes...

how much does one cost ;)

very talented, you are!

how long did that take?

Thanks again for the comments.

Finch,
Some of my other hobbies I try to make time for are:

Photography, Hiking, Canoeing, Mountain Biking, Geocaching, Woodworking, Breeding Leopard Geckos, Tropical Fish, Carnivorous Plants, Bonsai, Orchids, Flying R/C Planes / Stunt Kites, Camping, Coins / Stamps, Computers, Fossil Hunting, Astronomy. Something I've wanted to do for several years but have not spent the money yet for is cross country skiing.

I'm sure I missed a few that I have not done in a while.

TheAntiLion,
The landscape was done the same way I do all the others. Find a picture I like and print it out. Then I spray glue it to the wood and cut it out. Then I sand the pieces, rounding the edges, paint it and glue it back together.

Here is a picture of the next woodworking piece I'm making, in progress so you can see the template on the wood. This is not the same woodworking as the mickey. The mickey was what they call intarsia. The train is just scroll saw work. Everything that is black on the template will be cut away leaving the white.
To give you an idea of size, it is about 14" in diameter. So far I have 1 hr and 15 min. I've been timing myself to see how long it really takes. The owl on my woodworking page I believe has over 20 hours to complete.

train.jpg

nepenthes_ak,
I have not sold anything I've made. They have all been for myself or gifts. I would never get what they are worth because of the time involved. I figure I would want to get at least $10.00 an hour. It took 7 hours to make the mickey. Some take much longer.

bugfreak,
It took just over 7 hours for the mickey.

Have you ever been called "Type A"? lol

BTW...I saw an old post of your on Geocaching.com today. You were showing off some of your sig coins.

PAK,
I forget the personality types. That was back in high school.

Well speaking of my sig coins I made, here they are:

geckocoin2.jpg

133geckocoin06.jpg

geckocoin07.jpg

Back