What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think?

OK, So ON Friday after a pep band game some of my friends were gonna get stoned and drive home!

I'm like whoa don't do that thats bad you could kill you're self or some one else. So I said come over to my house and Do w/e and ill drive you guys home? So they did.

well My mom found out, and was P/O'd cause I had them over doing that, I can understand that but she would have rather had them drive home stoned than me drive them.

Grounded for 2 weeks now, from going any where.

Im just curious would you guys have rather had you're kids friends drive home stoned or you're kid drive them home stoned? OR just flip out and think you're kid is gonna turn out like you're brother who is a huge stoner wraps cars around polls survives, and cant support him self or any of his kids?

mad.gif

I think your motives and intentions were good, but maybe next time you should just let them get high somewhere else and then offer to take them home from there, but you shouldn't have to be a babysitter, either. How did your mom find out? Did she talk to the other parents?

xvart.

You did the right thing.

If my kid ever is in a situation like that or gets drunk or high and needs a ride i'll help 'em, no questions asked. My rents said the same thing to me.

no she supposedly smelt it. but w/e. Stoner's need baby sitters either way, its always good to have some one who isn't stoned around.

It's just pot.

Don't get offended but your mother probably smoked pot atleast once when she was a teenager. Hell, both of my parents did. My dad even tried poppers! Neither of then got what the big deal was so they never continued to smoke.

I don't know what my parents would have done if they found out I smoked up. Unfortunately what they found was what I was smoking wasn't pot and the consequences were MUCH more severe. That's why i'm homeschooled now. I guess in the end it all worked out for the best, and homeschool is WAAAY better
smile.gif

Although, I guess she considers it her parental duty to punish you.

2 of my friends who have rents that smoke/let them smoke are total losers. One aspires to be a stripper, and one lives in a trailer with his uncle, who is a cook, and his cousin and smokes ice all day. He dropped out of school.

I'll agree with the others that you did the right thing. I'm lucky in that those friends of mine who do smoke out actually have the sense to appoint a designated non-smoker to ferry them around, herd them up, etc.

Mokele

I'm glad that I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Were you smoking too? or was it just your friends?

if it was just your friends then, I (your parent) wouldn't be mad at all, I would just ask you to not do it anymore, unless it was your only option.

Couldn't you have just driven them to your friends house? That's what I would have done, myself. But it's in the past now, I hope that your 2 weeks without driving goes by quickly.:)

I'm not grounded from driving I'm grounded from social connections except for Band things, and church'ish things.

My friends were gonna get high then drive home to their house they were just gonna hang out in the one guys room the rest of the night.

No I wasn't smoking.

Well then I have no idea as to why your mom is so worried then.

You were being responcible, and thoughtfull.

Even though next time if something like that happens, I'd drive them to one of their houses.

I agree with your mom.  She could get in serious trouble if she let other people's kids smoke in her house.  Even if not trouble with the law she could get trouble from other parents.  I don't know which is worse.

I'm with your mom too. While you were trying to keep your friends from doing something really stupid, had you been caught by the police, things would have got real exciting real quick for you and your parents. You would have been considered guilty by association and trying to prove otherwise would have been difficult as would trying to prove to others that your parents hadn't in some way allowed this. Your reasoning was good as far as it went but you failed to consider the position you put your parents in by doing this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im just curious would you guys have rather had you're kids friends drive home stoned or you're kid drive them home stoned?
^To answer your question directly, I would rather have my kid's friends drive home stoned.

The thing is, I would never allow my kid to have friends that smoke, drink, or do drugs. I would never raise my kid with the belief that having friends that do those things is right, let alone them doing any of those things themselves.

Not everyone smokes and/or drinks and/or does drugs. My parents have never done drugs or smoked in their lifetimes. They drink on occasion (family party or at home), but that's it. I was raised with the belief that doing that is wrong, so I have never done drugs or smoked. So, I believe that if a parent sets a good example (whatever one thinks is "good" differs here) and enforces discipline, then their childern will come out okay.

I think you got off lucky with only 2 weeks...

Hmmm.... I believe that "good" and "bad" are just words here.

It is my opinion that drugs are neither "good" nor "bad". They are one of the biggest grey areas in life. What they are is what you make of them. I believe that it's bad to abuse drugs, but it's not good or bad to use them. It is my opinion that use turns into abuse when you take more than you know you should just for the hell of it, or when you forget that some drugs can and will screw up your life. Some people use drugs as a spiritual practice. Ever heard of Ayahuasca, Mescaline, Toad Venom (5-MeO-DMT), Salvia divinorum? It's neither good nor bad. It just is. It exists.

Another fantastic example is cocaine. The natives of SA used Cocaine as a stimulant, similar to coffee, and to cure altitude sickness. They would chew the leaves and that was that. It was no worse that coffee. Then one day a scientist isolated the alkaloid cocaine, and all of the sudden it becomes an evil substance that will screw you over a hundred times...No. It's not the substance in this scenario, it's the dosage. What's worse than cocaine? Crack, or Freebase cocaine. Someone wasn't happy enough with Cocaine so they synthesized a smokeable form, further abusing the substance. Now we have a substance that is a chemical frankenstein, nothing like nature intended. Cocaine was originally made illegal because of racism, not because people thought it was evil.

Look at GHB. Originally it was a body builders supplement. Now that people are selfish and abuse it, it's the date violent act drug. Not everyone who uses it uses it to violent act, believe it or not some people take it themselves. Did you know that GHB and DMT are in your body this very second? Of course the amount is miniscule, on the scale of micrograms, but it's there just the same. Something kind of cool to think about.

Look at Ecstacy. Originally it was a theraputic drug. Then one day, people got greedy and stupid and started overdosing. They ruined it for the rest of us that are responsible.

I believe MJ was illegalized to keep a few white rich men in power. I hope my friend chimes in on the MJ history, because it's not my area of expertise.

In western society some people have a problem where they think drugs are "evil". They give drugs a persona. How can they be evil? How can they be good? They are inanimate objects. What they are is how you use it. They can be heaven or hell, agony and ecstacy, or they can do nothing at all untill you combine them with an MAOI. All the glitters is cold. Remember that.

I am in no way advocating drug use. I do, however, think that it's important to understand the history and chemical nature of any particular drug before you pass judgement.

If you ever get a chance, watch Hooked: Illegal drugs and how they got that way. It's on the History channel often and very informative. It's a series of documentaries covering opiates, MJ, club drugs, etc.

Auctually, I just looked it up on historychannel.com It comes on this December 11th. Oddly enough, it's about cocaine this month.

"Derived from South America's coca leaf, cocaine was touted as a cure-all in the late 19th century and was the secret ingredient in many medicines and elixirs such as Coca-Cola. But cocaine's allure quickly diminished as racism entered the picture--the concept of the "cocaine-crazed Negro" even led police to strengthen the caliber of their guns from .32 to .38. We'll see how, though it was outlawed in 1914, its popularity soared in the 1980s and '90s and gave birth to a deadlier form--crack."

Just to reiterate, I do not in any way advocate drug use.

I'm particularly proud of this post. It's close to my heart.

it's not wether it's "right" or "wrong" to take a specific drug. illegal drugs are just that, illegal, and by you giving your friends a place to burn one, you inadvertantly put your parents, and every possession you and they have in jeopardy. smartest thing for you to do is to let them find their own place to smoke up, and just find something else to do. don't even offer them the ride home. i know it's tough to do it, but you have to, just to keep yourself out of trouble.

for the record, i understand your reasoning behind your actions, but i agree with your mom on this one..

peace, and stay outta trouble!
tech...

Or give them some money for a taxi. In reality, if they can't secure a safe mode of transportaion, maybe they shouldn't smoke. By safe I mean a way that won't get them or you in trouble, like a taxi or a bus.

lol I live in a rural town... a Taxi would cost just as much as they paid for the weed! thats just to get the taxi!

Ive used Salvia just cause its legall... its an interesting drug.

I'm with joossa, mostly. If I had a kid, I would feel like I was committing child abuse by being permissive about having that kind of thing in my house.

In the sentence, "I never really got my life together until I ___ doing drugs," I don't think I've ever heard or read of someone using the word "started". Plenty, possibly millions, would enthusiastically use the word "stopped."

That alone should say volumes, but it seems to go ignored by a lot of people.

I don't personally know whether these substances should be legal or not. I don't know where lines should be drawn. But I do know that drugs (I'm not talking about hemp and poppies, but the actual chemicals being abused) are just not worth the damage they help society inflict upon itself. Not remotely. There is no justification for their existence. And yes, I'm including nicotine and alcohol in this list.

People go back and forth about personal freedoms and right and wrong and whatever else in drug debates, and all the while they're missing the most important point: that drugs are totally unnecessary in a healthy life. Their risk/reward ratio is abysmal. Does such wanton self-absorption really get you where you want to be?

By the way, JLAP, shamans are in a small minority in using drugs for spiritual practices. Most spiritual disciplines, exoteric and esoteric alike, teach at length about how drugs are a hindrance to self-mastery.

They are their for a reason, Its personal decision just as you make the choice to NOT do them and make the personal decision to say that they shouldn't be around or used at all. Its Some ones decision weather or not they want to smoke drink, or get high.

Here in Ohio, They passed a law against Public smoking, Cant walk down the street no designated smoking areas, you have to be at home to smoke, or in youre car, I think about the car thing. thursday is when this takes effect. So is that Its the governments choice to intervene in some ones choices in life?

So how about gay marriage? Should that Be allowed? Its their life choice isn't it? Theirs no difference between some one who wants to get high, weather they abuse it or not, or if some one wants to get married to the same sex! Its their choice!

Along with the healthy life, do you think The government should go around wheighing people saying they are TOO fat? Or let them choose the food they eat and get fatter and fatter? Should People choose to ruin their body's, and know they are doing bad to it and feel content or w/e they feel? Its not the governments decision to make them get skinny or fat! That is a personal Life choice!

Its the land off freedom but we cant smoke tobacco out side any more, we cant choose who we "love".

Its time for the Country to grow out of the way it has been and realize it cant stay the same!

I don't think I started living until I experimented. I was always a goody-two-shoes sheep who followed the crowd. I'm much happier without the wool pulled over my eyes. I've seen and heard things beyond my own comprehension. Hell, once I lost my ego, my EGO for three days straight. Drugs can be life changing. Positive or negative.

I don't think drug use hurts society. I think drug ABUSE hurts it. I say legalize everything and let the weak people kill themselves if they can't control themselves. I don't really have a problem with the 4th paragraph since you included alcohol. I commend you very highly for that! Many people so easily "forget" about alcohol.

"People go back and forth about personal freedoms and right and wrong and whatever else in drug debates, and all the while they're missing the most important point: that drugs are totally unnecessary in a healthy life."

So is and junk food and the internet and TV and and carnivorous plants and dogs and cats and hair products. It's these unnecessary items that make life worth living! Am I saying drugs make life worth living? Absolutely not! I'd be messed up if I said that! Once I heard something like "If we gave up all the things that make life worth living we could live forever".

risk/reward ratio? Lets please not generalize. With Meth or Crack or Heroin, I can agree in most cases. Depends on the individual, IMO. I don't agree when it comes to esoteric drugs and weed and in most cases alcohol. I don't think I'm self-absorbed. I'm where I want to be. I get straight a's and b's, i'm about to start AP college classes early, and I have a great family life. Guess what? I still use drugs. Sure, given the situation (homeschool) they can be hard to come by, but i get them and you don't see me overdosing on heroin the next day. Personally, I don't see the problem. i'm not hurting anyone.

Shamans, NA's, hippies, psychonauts ; just because they aren't everywhere doesn't mean their beliefs are any less credible than yours or mine. There are far more modern "shamans" than you'd expect.

Hell, maybe i'm some weird exception to the rule. Wouldn't be the first time i've heard it, although I don't think so lol

In the end, it's personal choice. Just because you say theres no justification for their existance does not make it so. At the same time one could say there's no reason anything exists at all. There is no purpose in life except to reproduce. Call me a hedonist if you want, but my goal in life is to make money, have fun, and enjoy my life because all of our days are numbered.

Back