What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'M SO HAPPY I CAN'T STAND IT!!!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
Are you for real?

hail.gif

Yes, but it's a long story.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How old are you? I figured you were like...45 rubra!

lol... I'm 18. Thanks for the compliment though!

Congrats! Good scores are always an asset; my SAT scores got me a $20k scholarship, and my sister got a perfect ACT score, resulting in a free ride (worth over $95k) to the same school. I'm in the same boat now with my GRE (basically the SAT for graduate school).

They may be inaccurate, but schools sometimes place a lot of emphasis on them, so they can be useful.

Mokele

I just took the GRE, 23 years after the first time I took it.  As one who had only taken such tests on paper, it was weird to take it on computer and have it tell me the score immediately.  My math slipped a little since 1983, since I only use a narrow range of it anymore, but I scored 98 percentile on the verbal.  Not bad for someone with an engineering degree.

I'm still worried... ugh I want to be a doctor but i just don't feel smart enough.

I probably am but i'm just insecure, or I have an inflated idea of a doctors intelligence lol

You can't be stupid, but becoming a doctor definitely fits into that 90% perspiration saying.  I knew people who were aiming for medical school and their work habits were more notable than their intelligence.  Develop the best study habits you can before college.  Also, choose a major that gives you something to fall back on in case medical school is out of reach or, more likely, if you decide to take a different path.  The people I knew who made it all said someone should never major in "pre-med" but instead should be in one of the sciences.

I don't study... I never have
sad.gif

I've never needed to and now i'm worried that when I do need to i'll be screwed...

If I don't decide to be a real doctor I can be a vet or a therapist or something. I just HAVE to have a phd. It's my goal and if I don't get it i'll feel like a failure.

I had rotten school habits when I hit college and, in combination with the new-found freedom, my grades sucked.  In almost any field other than medicine, great grades in the last couple years will overcome a bad first year or two.  So I had no trouble getting into grad school.  But you need to hit the ground running if you're aiming for medical school, which means you have to challenge yourself now.  That way you'll have good habits before the grades start to really count.  And don't be thinking you'll be a failure if you don't attach MD, PhD, or other letters behind your name.  You can't predict what you'll be wanting to be doing in 5 years, let alone 20, so don't panic.

nerd!

tounge.gif

really, though. congrats! i've gotten good grades in high school and college too but i, unfortunately, have to put a bit more effort than you probably do.

anyway, you've got plenty of time and it's normal to be scared of new things. i think you've got what it takes.

psh, don't be scared of the SATs ;) i think i would up with a 1320 or so (on the old scoring system, out of 1600) on my first try, going in without having studied at all, in my sophomore year. i retook it once and upped it 30pts or so on the math section. and don't worry about having another year left, they're not testing you on everything you've learned in HS ;) just vocabulary, algebra and basic reasoning, and i think they've added some writing fluff since i took it. the only kicker for me was the math, i've got a decent vocab but speed and accuracy are not my friend for doing math problems. but it sounds like you'll do just fine ;)

(i also recall that the PSAT in no way prepared me for the SAT- i did well on both but studying SAT prep books was a much better indicator of the nature of the real SAT)

Back