What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My family history I found

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
That's nice that you found that info - it's cool to learn about your ancestry-- About the only interesting story I have heard of my ancestors was about one guy who lived in New England who was a double agent spy during the Civil War. He was playing both sides (kind of a dumb thing to do in a war like that if you ask me). When the war ended his wife found out that he had invested everything they had in confederate bonds! She was so upset that she turned him into both sides, and he disappeared into Canada.

My dad's Scottish and I can trace his side back to an Old Norse Norwegian viking in 794 A.d. My Mom's Native American and Scottish and I can trace her side back to about 1515. Ged was our original family name, it is Gedda in Old Norse, and means Pike (fish) but can also mean the long spears used in battle. Our shield is blue with three pike fish hauriant (upright).He may have married an ancient Pictish woman when he settled in Scotland.

Hahaha, reminds me of something. On the last day of my modern American history class, the teacher brought in photocopies of a document, an old newspaper. The quick blurb was about a man that had been an indentured servant and had run away and went on to describe him. A few lines later, it said the man's name: apparently he was the prof's great-great grandfather or something.
tounge.gif

I'd contemplate finding the family of the guy who made the newspaper blurb and saying sorry.
tounge.gif

My great, great, great grandfather was a Gypsy "King".  He married a beautiful gypsy girl, half his age, and sired eleven children.  His band consisted of about forty people that wandered through Hungary, Slovakia and Germany buying and selling horses...Maybe picking a few pockets on the side.
My Grandfather married a stunning blonde Hungarian woman, emmigrated to the U.S., bought a farm in Ohio and sired seven children.  He became a Catholic to keep her happy but was kicked out of the church because he screwed the Parish Priest in a horse deal.  
rock.gif

My father was born on the farm and married a Hungarian girl who lived on a farm about five miles away. They raised one fine, handsome, hardworking, upstanding son.
smi98.gif

Back