What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP's in Montana?

Are there any CP's in Montana and where would I find them?

if you can find bogs you will find some Drosera, IIRC a member here from around Billings has found some within a short drive. aquatic bladderworts are scattered across the state but my basement prolly holds the largest concentration of CP's in the state
tounge.gif

could there be some S. purpuea there?

dont think so. IIRC there is one Drosera species and 2 aquatic Utrics. there is a variety/local of S. purpuea called "montana" as well as a Drosera species named as such but Montana means mountain so thats where those prolly came from

I'm sorry, I'm still getting used to this Terra forums lingo, um what does IIRC mean?

if I Recall Correctly

It's not exclusive to TF.

if i remember correctly

Tomato Tomato

That tomato tomato saying doesn't really work well online
sad.gif

nope but S. purpurea grows up in canada up above montana if you feel like going into canada. ( Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Page 127 Map 3, Timber press Portland Oregon, Donald E, Schnell )

It does look like theirs some D. anglica in the northern part of Idaho and North Western tip of montana. (Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Page 262 Map 14, Timber press Portland Oregon, Donald E, Schnell ) and their is some D. rotdunfolia in western Montana it looks like (Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Page 254 Map 12, Timber press Portland Oregon, Donald E, Schnell )

Their are is Pinguicula macroceras (Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Page 302 Map 20, Timber press Portland Oregon, Donald E, Schnell )

Not sure if I sited correctly but I'm sure you get the idea.
Cheers!

D. anglica is most easily found in Glacier Park as far as i know. rotundifolia is found in most of the boggy areas in the central and western parts and as far as i know not found around me prolly due to lack of perminant boggy type areas. ive found Utricularia all over the place as it will grow in slow moving creeks and ponds that are common all over the state. never heard of any Pings in the state, prolly qute rare.

Well they might not be their any more who knows. I'm just going by what the book said.

i understand that............most of the minor critters and plants arent well studied in the state. biologists studying shrews last year added two more species to the list of species in the state(not new species, just added to the range of existing) the supposed latest and most complete work on reptiles and amphibians in the state is wrong even though it was printed 2 years ago, as a kid i found smooth green snakes and a few other critters more than 100 miles from where the book says they should be.......i wouldnt be surprised if more CP's are around but they are going to be local populations and not cover much of a range. gotta remember Montana has a fairly harsh climate. it gets dang cold in the winter.....

oh yea I know it does, I lived in South Dakota and lived near Montana and was in Montana in the fall time frame... crazy weather!

Beautiful country though!

Sheridan: You now have a protege! Learn well, grasshopper! And welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tttman @ Dec. 17 2006,1:26)]Are there any CP's in Montana and where would I find them?
well there is this one house that has a bunch of em! theres a nice N. Jaqu x izumiae, a bunch of orchids and even an orchid on a cows skull!!! sounds like the place to go for me!!
Alex

I'm interested in wild CP's.....Please list plants that would be found in Montana as the replies are getting confusing...

as far as i know:

Drosera anglica
D. rotundifolia
Utricularia intermidea
U. minor
U. vulgaris
maybe U. macrorhiza
P. vulgaris

Back