What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet python strangles Ohio man

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pet python strangles Ohio man

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]CAMP DENNISON, OH, United States (UPI) -- An Ohio man was killed Saturday when his 14-foot pet python coiled itself around his neck and strangled him.

Ted Drees of Camp Dennison had owned the snake for a long time, WCPO-TV in Cincinnati reported.

'He had this one out all the time. He reached in and the snake grabbed him around the neck, and couldn`t get the snake off,' his mother, Elaine Drees, told the television station.

Getting the snake to let go its hold took the combined strength of three Hamilton County sheriff`s officers. The county Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals took custody of the python.

Experts say large constrictors like pythons should not be kept as pets or only kept by people willing to take necessary precautions. These include not handling snakes over 8 feet single-handed.

Owners must also be careful not to get the scent of anything the snake might consider prey on them.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

Next thing you know you cant keep snakes cause people are to ignorant to learn how to take care of them, or people say they don't want that in their neighbor hood.

I think that happened in Vermilion oh in march of 2005. I belive there was a little discussion about it here on the forums.

thats why i dont keep snakes much over 7 feet. they most definatly SHOULD NOT be handled by one person alone or even if there are others present if they dont know how to handle large snakes.............

That's why the only large snakes I would keep are black mambas, Egyptian cobras and so on. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks by keeping large constrictors.

I have never been interested in boas or pythons. I don't know why I just never really cared for them. At least if a cottonmouth attacks you have hours to get to a hospital. With giant constrictors, they kill you on the spot. I'd rather take my chances with vipers.

I hope they don't kill the snake, it wasn't his fault. It sounds like the owner make a DFE.

Ive always had an interest in snakes... but parental units won't oblige..

Buyt one and tell them if they want to get rid of it they have to get him out with their hands and take him back to the pet store.

My daughter is the proud owner of a black scorpion,black and white milk snake,a yellow Gecko and a bald python ha ha, I know it is a ball python.
I can handle the gecko and the milk snake I let her take care of the other two.
It was okay to have a grand doggie and grandkitties but this is stretching the limits of my granniness.
Lois

No what im gonna do is get a offed scorpion or something and preserve it and things, and open it and show my mom really fast.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Experts say large constrictors like pythons should not be kept as pets or only kept by people willing to take necessary precautions. These include not handling snakes over 8 feet single-handed.
^Completely agree.

This case reminds me of the gator-attacks-nude-man story.

irresponsible person + large animal = tragedy
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]irresponsible person + large animal = tragedy

I think that you don't know enough about the story to say that. All it takes it to forget to wash your hands well enough to totaly erase the scent of a rat to cause this to happen.

You can pick up something that the scent is on and this could happen.

This guy has had this snake for years. He made a mistake and died. People die from small mistakes while driving all the time, we don't call them irresponsible.

That gives a whole new meaning to hugs and kisses.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think that you don't know enough about the story to say that. All it takes it to forget to wash your hands well enough to totaly erase the scent of a rat to cause this to happen.

You can pick up something that the scent is on and this could happen.

This guy has had this snake for years. He made a mistake and died. People die from small mistakes while driving all the time, we don't call them irresponsible.

Do you know if the Ohio man made a mistake (like: forgetting to wash his hands before coming in contact with the snake, leaving a feeder animal’s scent on him), inducing the animal to "coil itself around his neck and strangle him"? -If he forgot to take the necessary procedures or didn't execute them properly, then he was irresponsible, IMO.

A person that makes a “small mistake” when having a large responsibility means that he/she is irresponsible. Consider this example: A person forgets to lock his/her front door, allowing a burglar come inside and kidnap the person’s kid. The mistake was a “small mistake”; do you consider that person irresponsible? Of course!

If he had taken the necessary procedures before coming in contact with the snake, then the incident could be considered as something that was not in his control. In this case, the man would not be an irresponsible person.

I handled my daughter's hamster the other day with the smell of sunflower seeds still on my hand. It was touch and go for awhile, but I unwound the rodent from around my neck just before the world went dark. That man had a much smaller margin of error with his snake. He'd probably still be alive if it had been a hamster. Of course, maybe he had just been handling his daughter's hamster before handling the snake. The world is a complicated place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Dec. 18 2006,4:48)]I handled my daughter's hamster the other day with the smell of sunflower seeds still on my hand. It was touch and go for awhile, but I unwound the rodent from around my neck just before the world went dark. That man had a much smaller margin of error with his snake. He'd probably still be alive if it had been a hamster. Of course, maybe he had just been handling his daughter's hamster before handling the snake. The world is a complicated place.
hamsters are the most evil critters out there....................ill take a 12 foot snake over a hamster..................

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you know if the Ohio man made a mistake

No I don't know if he made a mistake. Same as you don't know if he was irresponsible. I was just giving a possible explanation on what may have happened. I only said there was not enough info to say he was an irresponsible pet owner.

Making a mistake does not make you irresponsible. If it did then every person that ever lived would be irresponsible.

When I moved back home to NC, I drove 700 miles in a penske truck with two hamsters, three lizards, one 2 ft long skink, one hognose snake, two king snakes (3 ft long and 5 ft long) and one 100 pound golden retriever. All was in the cab with me. I don't know how they manged to not eat each other.

BTW, hamsters are not bad.

i don't think a snake like that should be a pet in the first place. not to seem insensitive, but i can't really feel bad for the guy. i will say that i am glad that it didn't happen to a stranger or child that came across this guy's snake. he wanted to own it- which carries a risk in itself and paid dearly.

I think that reptiles over a certain size you should have to have a permit. There should be annual on site inspections of where you keep the animal. There are so many reptiles that are kept in substandard conditions. Reptiles are small and cute when they are babies but some quickly outgrow a persons ability to care for it.

Back