What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSL In California

Yes all dogs do have the potential fo cause harm, but Pits are used for fighting. A good bit of people who own them use them for fighting.  No I didn't say all do, but why do you think the rappers and thugs have them?  The thug type person that has a Pit generaly has them to fight.  Granted they are a beautiful dog and when bread right and treated right they make great pets.  It is just when they are traigned to fight they are very dangerous.  They go for the throat and once they get a lock it is very hard to break.  I have known some people who had fighting pits it is not a pretty sight. Although I wonder why they limit it to Pits and not add Akitas to that mix. They are big dogs with aggreession issues too.

I have dogs I take to local dog parks all the time. Pit bills aren't the dogs that get me nervous in general. They tend to be happy, friendly dogs. The only problem is that when they do get aggressive, they are absolute terrors, possessing incredible strength and determination. I live in a big city, and a LOT of the dogs are pit bulls here. But at the dog park, the dogs that seem to cause more issues are standard poodles and chocolate labs.

Caplsock

you cant legislate against stupidity.............go after the owners. the dogs are as harmless as any other with responsible owners.......im more afraid of the mutts running loose around here than any pitbull

exactly rattler... Idiocy is the reason, seeing animals fight? Whats great about that? I would rather see two guys in a ring fighting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No I didn't say all do, but why do you think the rappers and thugs have them? The thug type person that has a Pit generaly has them to fight

Then we should make a law that if you can't keep your pants pulled up over your crack then you can't own a pit bull.

Edit: new respinse pending...

where was my brain?!
oh.gif

LMAO!

OK

my mistake

that was a simple thing to get right, what a stupid thing to do  
blush.gif

It was to Ozzy and you ninja posted.

god people are so paranoid these days...

What. First of all i dont know what "ninja posted" was and second of all it had nothing to do with you. I formulated my response on a incomplete skim. So fast was i that got the topic completely wrong, wich was embarrising. Your post alerted me to that fact.

The media is too loose when identifying even well known breeds and is completely out of control when it starts screaming pit bull attack.  Any dog that bit someone and isn't obviously a poodle or cocker spaniel is called a pit bull.  Unless it's brown and black with short hair.  Then it's a Rotweiler.  If the hair's a little longer, then it's a German Shepherd.  I've seen plenty of news reports about pit bull attacks where the dog clearly didn't have a drop of terrier blood.  One was a pretty obvious Lab cross.  But Lab Cross Attack!!! doesn't draw as many eyeballs to the commercials.

???I don't know whats going on so lets drop it before NepG tells us to get back on topic. Wasn't trying to embrassas you, just a big miscommunication. I was laughing at ozzy.

All is forgiven if you'll just explain "ninja posted".

Lol, It's when you post and someone else posts at the same time and when you are done and submit it they posted first. Sometimes, like this, it can mess up the forum-time continuum.

I heard it somewhere else...

LOL dont worry JLAP im not angry with you. You did nothing wrong- I did it to myself. If i had been quicker on my feet i could have avoided this whole thing *sigh*

Back on topic- Some bigger cities have banned certain breeds, so there is a set example. For them to mull such a ban, one would think those citywide bans had been successful in their objectives. I wish I had some statistics to look at for this.

Pits are only agressive if you treat them horribly/violently, just like any other breed. Unfortunately stupid people get pits because theyre "cool", and treat them wrong, causing them to act that way. But of course, people like to spread things they've heard, but have no actual idea about (i.e., EVERYONE who thinks pits are naturally agressive has not only not had contact with a pit, but is an idiot).

I'm sure these bans are the actions of one person with an IQ below room temperature that was attacked by a pit after provoking it. I hate when idiots are allowed to interact with democracy...

</rant>

California will ban everything until the only thing you can do is go to work and go home and watch TV that's heavily censored so as to not "offend" anyone.
& NYC will be right on it's heels...

We have a ban on "pit bulls" in my province and despite a LOT of kvetching about it, it seems to be doing some good...

The common refrain of "it's not the DOG its the OWNERS" is all well and good, but really, it's not that simple, you can NOT do anything to ANYONE simply because they are so criminally stupid they could do just about anything, the laws just don't apply to "potential super-idiot"

It is an odd conundrum, as the solution most often proposed by the "small government" types is invariably a "regulate the owners", which would take a gigantic bureacracy (man I think I spelled that wrong) with regular intrusions into peoples "private lives" (you'd have to go and check out every specimen, every owner, regularly, to make SURE the dogs were in no wise violent)

The notion that most attacks are NOT by pitbulls is also pretty much moot- I don't know ANYONE who has died or been threatened with death by a poodle, but statistically they are among the top-rated "dog attacks" animals, whereas 2 of my friends have been sent to near-death states by dogs (not pitbulls in either case tho, so read that as you may) and in one case I am SURE that provocation was not an issue (the other happened when the person was very young and may have inadvertently "teased" the dog, but he was in no ways a violent or cruel person)

With pitbulls (and I am talking the jaw-locking "killer" type, which I KNOW does in fact exist) I do support a ban on people owning them- I view it kinda like fireworks bans up here- there's TOO many idiots who don't understand ANYTHING and could cause untold damage- add to that the broken legal system (speaking about Canada specifically here) and you have a recpie for bad things happening

I have a dog, too, part wolf or coyote or something, so I am not a "dog hatin" or otherwise super-ill-informed type, but until you can actually lock people up simply for being morons, this kind of stuff is necessary, and in fact defines "civilization" in my mind

Just my few cents worth
biggrin.gif

Back