What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have mold, fungus, ????

I have a 3" deep pan with 12-3" pots of VFT's some honeydews and a pitcher plant in the middle. It is mulched with spanish moss and everything is absorbing water well.

There is a white substance that might be growing that looks like super fine cotton....

I think it is growing in the mouth of one of the VFT's...It is sporadic among the moss..

What is it? Do I need to get rid of it?

I don't think spanish moss is supposed to get wet/soaking.

-Ben

spanish moss shouldnt be used around CP's in the first place!

The only kind of moss you should use is Sphagnum moss! And yes you have mold.

Right, get rid of the Spanish moss, as this is likely to kill your plants.

Getting rid of the mold is a different matter. Make sure the plants get plenty of air circulation. If the leaf of the VFT is starting to turn black, trim it off. Otherwise you might try a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and lightly spritz the affected plants. I normally take a 3% solution that you can buy at a drug store, pharmacy, chemist etc. and dilute it 2 parts purified water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide. Some people use it full strength (3% that is).

See the growing tips section of this board and also the FAQs at Sarracenia.org among other places for more info on sphagnum moss, mold/fungus control and so on.

Nep AK is correct.  Maybe you meant long-fibered sphagnum moss (LFS) instead of Spanish moss?  Spanish moss is usually a silvery grey/green color and its actually an epiphyte plant.  Its sometimes used as fancy dressing for orchids.  Its not for CPs. LFS will be green if its live moss or tan to brown if its dried moss.

And by "honeydew" I would guess you mean sundew or Drosera.

If you are getting mold you may not have enough air circulation. Sometimes bug husks will mold inside a flytrap if its too wet with little air flow.  You can take a cotton swab and dab the mold out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Dec. 28 2006,12:11)]If you are getting mold you may not have enough air circulation. Sometimes bug husks will mold inside a flytrap if its too wet with little air flow. You can take a cotton swab and dab the mold out.
Take care not to disturb the trigger "hairs" in the trap or it will close on you, if the leaf is still working. They wear out with age or repeated closings or when damaged.

Back