What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The CP universe is governed by these rules

1. There will never be a convenient, cheap solution for terrarium cooling.

2. 95% of all drosera seed circulating in cultivation comes from a guy with a Drosera spatulata plantation in his basement.

3. The red form always costs more

4. The coolness and attractiveness of a newly discovered CP is inversely proportional to the probabillity that you will ever be able to grow it.

5. If Utricularia subulata was a newly discovered species confined to an innacessable ultramafic bog high in the mountains of new guinea, people would be clamouring for specimens.

6. The yuccado pings will never get proper identification

7. The isolation and endemism of a population of rare CP's is direclty proportional to the probabillity that a strip mall will be built on that very spot. Aerial photography above the cloud forests of Borneo show that no less than 27 strip malls have spontaneosly generated on Mt. Kinabalu alone.

8. At a future CP conference, someone will propose an elaborate plan to elevate every "form" of P. moranensis to species status. He will be immediately gunned down by a disgruntled taxonomist.

9. No matter how much information about proper CP cultivation is released, there will always be some idiot convinced that he can grow a Nepenthes villosa.

10. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't get decent big box store CPs in the US. (I became convinced of this after seing mature Cephalotus and Heliamphora sold by European big box stores for only a couple Euros.)

post your own CP "rules" here!

11. Venus Fly Traps and Sarracenia do actually require a winter dormancy.

12. Short photoperiod *and* low temperature are both required for that dormancy.

13. VFTs and Sarracenia do much better outdoors than in a terrarium.

14- no matter how much you would like to think you could get youre girl friend into CP's, its not gonna happen

15- ozzy can come up with a new kind of carnivorous plant and trick noobs into thinking their really are new sp's

16- you never have enough room for all those nepenthese

17- their is no perfect cheep efficient light source

18. CPs do NOT need to be in a high humidity environment; in fact, just test the humidity outside, and you'll find it's pretty high as it is.

-Ben

19. plants will not grow in incandescent lighting.

20. not all N. alata's were created equal

21. D. capensis and burmanni are weeds. if you start with some you wont be able to get rid of them.

22. tuberous dews are not beginners plants no matter what people tell you.

and

23. Nepenthes can't self seed
smile.gif

Alex

EDIT: ninja Ben! and i dont get your rule

24- If someone gives you 2 Nep cuttings, the common one will go gangbusters and the rare one will die

25- Every time a "I need help with D.capensis" thread is started, a countdown to Irony is started simultaneously

MAN new years ninja posting FEVER!!!

NINJA ,PLEASE!!!!

25-For some people (me!) It's hard to grow Dionaea, but easy to grow Cephalotus.

25-Having a natural bog makes things SOOO much easier
smile.gif

26-There will always be a debate on the effectiveness of Superthrive!

Ninja? Er, I dunno, it's something my brother did. He saw my Neps in my terrarium, said, "Don't you need to keep buying new ones? Don't they die if you don't feed them all the time?" Turns out he killed a VFT. I'll just change the rule.
rock.gif

Edit: Oh, ninja, ok I get it.
smile.gif
(Mod peeps can delete my post so it doesn't interrupt the delicate balance of this list topic thing)

-Ben

27 Seeds you take great pains to germinate.... struggle, while capensis and spatulata and subulata and burmanni and binata just pop up from out of nowhere.

28 There's always room for one more plant... and another...

29. Darlingtonia should never be re-planted into a stream
biggthumpup.gif
beer.gif
banana2.gif

Alex

30. Yes it's cool, no you can't grow it.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 04 2007,7:59)]29. Darlingtonia should never be re-planted into a stream
biggthumpup.gif
beer.gif
banana2.gif

Alex
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I had pretty good luck with darlingtonia in a stream, but when fall came they rotted unfortunately
sad.gif

31: The plants are always greener on your side of the fence
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 04 2007,9:32)]I had pretty good luck with darlingtonia in a stream, but when fall came they rotted unfortunately
sad.gif

31: The plants are always greener on your side of the fence
sad.gif
Cut on Jimscott and his stream experiences.

laugh.gif

32: no matter how long you wait bug weed will allways come back!

33. bugweed is like capensis. he wont die
smile.gif
(rather...leave us)
34. beauty is in the eye of the beholder
35. never trust ebay.
36. squares are fun...just dont ask for them too much
smile.gif

Alex

Back