What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can't post

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Well, this forum is only here for you to get PMs and such (unless the popular vote is to come back to this forum)
Andrew

Okay- so it was a good trial run. :0) we were close.. very very close.. but I gave up. So here is this forum back.. We'll try it again soon. Maybe I just need to close down this forum while i do it to prevent errors.
Andrew

I managed to get onto that "green" forum, but couldn't post... The past 30mins. have been the most confusing 30mins. of my life
laugh.gif

I got on as well. I checked after I got an email telling me that you made me a mod.

I guess man IS doomed to repeat its mistakes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Jan. 02 2007,1:31)]I managed to get onto that "green" forum, but couldn't post... The past 30mins. have been the most confusing 30mins. of my life
laugh.gif
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! haha

Make up my mind make up my mind. Heck I haven't even seen the new board yet. LMAO Where is it??

Just to let everybody know what is going on.

Andrew had converted the forum to run under a different forum package - phpBB2. He invited me to test it out before making it active and I looked good to me, some minor glitches but nothing major. All the posts, users, forums etc were there from when he had converted the files.

We decided it was ready enough for prime time so Andrew attempted to make it "live" for everybody. The intent was that the url http://www.terraforums.com would take you directly to the new forum software and the new version would tell you how to still access the old one to pickup PMs etc. PMs unfortunately do not convert over.

That's where the trouble began as each of the forum programs were looking for virtual paths that didn't exist any longer. We could get one or the other board working but not both at the same time.

We decided to reinstall the phpBB2 into a common path that hopefully eliminate the errors (at 1 or 2 in the morning, later for Andrew).

So whenever Andrew can get it reinstalled, configured properly we should be able to switch over.

lucky for him he seems to have good help [you]

sad.gif
this means i wont be able to come to the forums after about a week or less after the switch...

well at school at least

*depressing*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Jan. 02 2007,8:18)]lucky for him he seems to have good help [you]
That remains to be seen
laugh.gif

Why? Your school blocks phpbb boards?

Ok folks, Andrew has gotten the new forum conversion finished and so far it looks ok. There are some formatting issues you'll see in the posts (nested quotes are screwed up) and many of your avatars are oversized as the conversion scripts didn't resize/rescale them. You'll have to remove that image and link to a smaller version. If you run across your own messages with the quote problem please edit them to correct the formatting.

Andrew will attempt to switch over shortly so be patient if you can't access the forum. This version should (fingers crossed) be reachable with the url http://www.terraforums.com/ib312/ikonboard.cgi

If the switchover is successful, http://www.terraforums.com should take you automatically to the new board.

Note: Yeah, the smilies have to be moved over. It'll get done eventually. You'll just have to put up with the default phpBB2 ones.

Members can no longer post. The above info should be true here shortly...! (yay!)

Okay the conclusion came quick... phpbb was really no good. I'm looking at Vbulletin. BUT if I do that, that's where we stay. It's not a free software... Anyone have something to say about that? Good bad? I know the controls are awesome. Here is an example forum... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/
Andrew

Oh yeah???
crazy.gif
banana2.gif
boogie.gif

Just what is wrong with this one?
poke2.gif

There is really just nothing we can do with it. I'd like to give some more flair to it.. give the users some more options... I know sometimes there are some "other" things I'd like to do around here... Plus.. i just really have a bad taste of ikonboard in my mouth after that last version upgrade. :-\
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay the conclusion came quick... phpbb was really no good. I'm looking at Vbulletin. BUT if I do that, that's where we stay. It's not a free software... Anyone have something to say about that? Good bad? I know the controls are awesome. Here is an example forum... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/
Andrew
So, if we move to Vbulletin, how long will the tansition last? Also, you mentioned that it is not free... can you elaborate? Not free to us(members)? To the owner? Will paid membership be required?

vBulletin is a commercial product so you need to buy (or lease) a licensed copy. Pricing information can be found on vBulletin's order page. So it requires an investment of not only time but money on Andrew's part.

As far as a transition period I'd be optimistic and say "perhaps overnight". With the experience Andrew has gained with 2 or 3 conversions hopefully it will go much smoother.

I think Vbulletin looks good. At this point I don't even really remember what the original outdated board looked like, except for that endearing hideous green color that I've grown to love. Anyways, from the little bit of cruising the example Vbulletin board I think it is quite similar in function and looks, and if it provides more so be it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 03 2007,10:37)]I know sometimes there are some "other" things I'd like to do around here...
What other features are you looking for or wished you had? I think adding features is always a good thing, unless they are not worth the hassel or price. Maybe if we could know a little more about what the eventual final board is intended to be we can be a little more helpful or positive.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back