What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troubles at left turns...

joossa

Aklys
Lately, I have been having lots of bad luck at a certain busy intersection when turning left going back home from work/class. Let me give you a basic rundown of what basically happens to illustrate my repetitive misfortune:
-As I approach the intersection, I enter the left turn lane.
-If/when the light is green, I pull a bit forward, just barley passing the pedestrian crosswalk and wait.
-The intersection is ALWAYS very busy so there is seldom an opportunity where I can turn left while the light is still green.
-So I almost always have to wait for the light to turn yellow to turn left… BUT here is where the problem always happens.
-So the light turns yellow, and traffic is still moving on the opposite side. I can see that some vehicles have starting to slow down, but some always run the yellow light (and I’m not just talking about little sedans, I’m talking big-rigs passing the yellow). Sometimes I cannot even tell if they are going to pass the yellow or slow down and stop, and I don’t want to risk it turning left and having them collide into my car while thinking that they were going to stop. So… I end up waiting literally milliseconds before the light turns red (when all vehicles have stopped on the opposite side), and then I turn left. So if you see me turning left from afar, the light actually turns red when I am 1/4 or 1/5 of the way through the turn, which I guess is subject for a citation
nononono.gif

This happens every time I turn left at that intersection, and I am thinking about taking a different route to avoid it from now on…
sad.gif

Does this happen to any of you? Do you guys have any tips that could help me avoid this problem?
sign_help.gif

Driving sucks!!!
lac.gif

You are allowed to clear the intersection even if the light goes red. So what you do is after the light turns yellow pull up so your blocking the intersection. If the cars don't slow down by yellow and go through wait until it is clear and you have the right away to turn left. You will not get cited for that.

Correct Outsiders. ( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject) Red light running is when you cross the intersection (described as intersection corner to intersection corner.. not the lines) If your vehicle is past that line when the light goes red, you're in the right. WAIT till everthing is clear. Then make your turn. If the traffic going the other way comes and you are still sitting out there.. They have to wait for you to clear the intersection. Take your time. Wait till it is safe. And enjoy driving!!! (I do, a favorite past time!!)
Andrew

I hate this too! I just moved and everyone in Kansas City seems just keeps driving through yellow and red lights. Everyone turning left just has to wait even longer, thus delaying the oncoming traffic... It's very annoying.

You don't have to worry about a citation. If an officer does see you make that turn through the red light most likely they would have seen the other people running through the solid yellow/red lights and go after them and not you who was sitting at the intersection during the green, yellow, and red light... patiently waiting your turn I might add.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 04 2007,7:24)]( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject)
You wern't able to get the ticket revoked?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Jan. 04 2007,7:03)]Lately, I have been having lots of bad luck...
If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

xvart.

Okey-dokey, good to hear! In fact, this just made my day!!!
bigsmile.gif

Guess it's time to review my state's driver handbook, though (it has been a while..)

You could also call your local police department and ask them the same thing to see what they say. Then, if you do get a ticket when you go to court you can say you called the police station and they told you X, Y, and Z. It's always nice to have a little leverage. Who knows, maybe they will start looking for it and targeting those people. I have started honking my horn once it turns yellow at any person that comes through, just to draw attention to their carlessness and wrecklessness.

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xvart @ Jan. 04 2007,7:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 04 2007,7:24)]( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject)
Nope, speeding is speeding. The part I liked best is that he sat there lecturing me on how we could be dead now instead of going to the hospital. yah, nice. He actually turned his lights on as I pulled into the hospital. So, there I sat getting a speeding ticket. Turned out she had to have he gull bladder removed. 3:30 AM down a 4 lane dead road going to the hospital... I would think that'd be okay. I was cited for 58 in a 45.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 04 2007,9:45)]Nope, speeding is speeding. The part I liked best is that he sat there lecturing me on how we could be dead now instead of going to the hospital. yah, nice. He actually turned his lights on as I pulled into the hospital. So, there I sat getting a speeding ticket. Turned out she had to have he gull bladder removed. 3:30 AM down a 4 lane dead road going to the hospital... I would think that'd be okay. I was cited for 58 in a 45.
Andrew
Jeeze. That is terrible. So i'm guessing you didn't contest it in court? With things like that it's almost not worth trying to beat it in court, no matter how silly it may seem.

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 05 2007,5:24)]Correct Outsiders. ( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject)   Red light running is when you cross the intersection (described as intersection corner to intersection corner.. not the lines)  If your vehicle is past that line when the light goes red, you're in the right.  WAIT till everthing is clear.  Then make your turn.  If the traffic going the other way comes and you are still sitting out there.. They have to wait for you to clear the intersection.  Take your time.  Wait till it is safe.  And enjoy driving!!!  (I do, a favorite past time!!)
Andrew
Thats not entirely true. Anti-Gridlock law provides that you may not enter an intersection without being able to pass through without stopping in the middle. Even if the light is green, if you cannot pass through the intersection, you are required by law to stop behind the limit line and wait.

I think that is a California law... it's not true here... Although I know they are trying to pass it (he mentioned it) but not for anti gridlock.. but to help prevent left turn accedents. I think that will make it worse personally...

april 14....counting down the days
smile.gif

Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (xvart @ Jan. 04 2007,7:05)
Quote (adnedarn @ Jan. 04 2007,7:24)
( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject)

Nope, speeding is speeding. The part I liked best is that he sat there lecturing me on how we could be dead now instead of going to the hospital. yah, nice. He actually turned his lights on as I pulled into the hospital. So, there I sat getting a speeding ticket. Turned out she had to have he gull bladder removed. 3:30 AM down a 4 lane dead road going to the hospital... I would think that'd be okay. I was cited for 58 in a 45.
Andrew

Well that's strange because when my Dad ws having his heart attack at the hospital my mom was caught speeding, but was let off the hook.

It might also have been because the cop had previously had a heart attack and my mom was balling her eyes out.
rock.gif

I run red lights regularly. So I say "don't sweat it" There's nothing more useless than a red left arrow when there's no reason for it. Same with "No Turn On Red" BS.

I say drive like a New Yorker (right, Quogue)!

That way people get our of YOUR way.

OH NO! Here comes that insane driver again!
tounge.gif

Right On Schloaty!! Helps when yer drivin a banged up ol' wreck too, that way they know you mean buisiness!

Farmerdave... it's a cop by cop thing.. I doubt my brother would give someone a ticket for that either.. But this was a motor cop... (speed trap) so i'm sure it was a good story to go back and tell his buds waiting in the "group"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Jan. 04 2007,10:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Jan. 05 2007,5:24)]Correct Outsiders. ( I just had to take driving class for a speeding ticket i got while taking my wife to the ER.. and we cleared this subject) Red light running is when you cross the intersection (described as intersection corner to intersection corner.. not the lines) If your vehicle is past that line when the light goes red, you're in the right. WAIT till everthing is clear. Then make your turn. If the traffic going the other way comes and you are still sitting out there.. They have to wait for you to clear the intersection. Take your time. Wait till it is safe. And enjoy driving!!! (I do, a favorite past time!!)
Andrew
Thats not entirely true. Anti-Gridlock law provides that you may not enter an intersection without being able to pass through without stopping in the middle. Even if the light is green, if you cannot pass through the intersection, you are required by law to stop behind the limit line and wait.
You are referring to driving "straight" through. When you are turning, that does not apply, at least here in Arizona. I recently went to the same driver's education as Andrew

hahaha- What did you go for? That drinking thing?
bigsmile.gif
laugh.gif
(jking of course!!!)
poke2.gif

Vehicle Code  

Entering Intersection, Rail Crossing, or Marked Crosswalk

22526.   (a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

(b) A driver of a vehicle which is making a turn at an intersection who is facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal shall not enter the intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

© A driver of a vehicle shall not enter a railroad or rail transit crossing, notwithstanding any official traffic control device or signal indication to proceed, unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the railroad or rail transit crossing to accommodate the vehicle driven or there is sufficient undercarriage clearance to cross the intersection without obstructing the through passage of a railway vehicle, including, but not limited to, a train, trolley, or city transit vehicle.

(d) A local authority may post appropriate signs at the entrance to intersections indicating the prohibition in subdivisions (a), (b), and ©.

(e) A violation of this section is not a violation of a law relating to the safe operation of vehicles and is the following:

(1) A stopping violation when a notice to appear has been issued by a peace officer described in Section ( ) 830.1, 830.2, or 830.33 of the Penal Code.

(2) A parking violation when a notice of parking violation is issued by a person, other than a peace officer described in paragraph (1), who is authorized to enforce parking statutes and regulations.

(f) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Anti-Gridlock Act of 1987.

The first section there pretty much says it all...  This is taken directly from the California Vehicle Code.  Obviously every state has its own vehicle codes so anyone unsure of the laws in their state should research it for themselves.

Joossa, you are from California so it might be in your best interest to know this law...

Cheers
Steve

Back