What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wintering your CPs in cold climates

• Thread starter ilbasso
  • Start date
I've read all of the stuff about covering and mulching CPs in extreme cold (like we should be having here in NE Ohio) but I'd like to see if anyone has any photos of their setups. I'm escepcially curious to see how people get 8-12 inches of pine needles to stay put on container plants.

Hey welcome to the forums. I lived in NE Ohio for four years. I kept most of my cp's in an in ground bog. They did great.

By the way wehre do you live? I lived in Vermilion. There are also some other cp'ers from here that live near you.

I'm near Akron.

I had hopes of a bog garden but it didn't happen this year. I have several pots and a garage that will help when it gets really cold but I'd rather keep them outside.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ilbasso @ Jan. 04 2007,11:26)]I've read all of the stuff about covering and mulching CPs in extreme cold (like we should be having here in NE Ohio) but I'd like to see if anyone has any photos of their setups. I'm escepcially curious to see how people get 8-12 inches of pine needles to stay put on container plants.
I'm in NE Ohio as well. The way I overwintered my plants last year was 100% effective, I didn't lose one plant.

I keep them in my unheated garage. Then when we get some rain (like tomorrow), I'll bring them outside and let them get some rain water. I'll bring them in later in the day and dump the tray water. Seems to work well for me. I think the most important part is when you bring them in. I let my plants experience 1 freeze before I bring them into the garage.

http://www.terraforums.com/ib312/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=29;t=21501

Enjoy!
smile.gif

Outsider, I didn't know you were from Ohio. Where do you live? Maybe next time I'm there we can fight out or Bush differences. LOL.

Seriously though, maybe we could meet for lunch or something.

Back