What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Adrian Slack Book?

U

Unregistered

I noticed that there is a new, supposedly updated version of Adrian Slacks original "Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them", which has been retitled to "Insect Eaters: How to Grow and Feed Extraordinary Plants". It says it's been published as of Sept. 2006 so I guess that makes it fairly new.

Has anyone checked this out? I've purchased it because I could not find a copy of Slack's original "Insect Eating Plants" for a reasonable price ($100+ for a former library book w/stamping in it was too steep for me
crazy.gif
).

In case anyone is curious, this new version seems to only be available on Amazon's UK site:

# ISBN-10: 1899296301
# ISBN-13: 978-1899296309

Just wondering what other people think or if anyone else has gotten it yet.

This guy is like Tupac lol

I'm sure it'll be on ebay soon enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 05 2007,10:32)]This guy is like Tupac lol

You mean adrian is a no talent dead black man?

Adrian Slack was very good at writing about CP. Best of all, his first book was full of location data. Excellent reference. Insect Eating Plants was his second, but equally as good. I had both books, and am sorry I ever gave them up. Sold several old volumes for 100 dollars for 6 books. 2 Slack books, an Allan Swenson book, and Lynn and Gray Poole from 1964, and 2 others I can barely remember. Should have kept them all, but hindsight---etc., etc. Worth owning if all they changed was the title on the Slack volume.

Tupac who??????

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 06 2007,12:37)]Adrian Slack was very good at writing about CP. Best of all, his first book was full of location data. Excellent reference. Insect Eating Plants was his second, but equally as good. I had both books, and am sorry I ever gave them up. Sold several old volumes for 100 dollars for 6 books. 2 Slack books, an Allan Swenson book, and Lynn and Gray Poole from 1964, and 2 others I can barely remember. Should have kept them all, but hindsight---etc., etc. Worth owning if all they changed was the title on the Slack volume.

Tupac who?
rock.gif
??
It appears they've expanded it, at least from what the cover information states. So I guess it's not just a reprinting but actually an updated edition of Slacks original cultivation book.

So nobody has this yet? I can't be the first person since September that ordered this, although I suppose given that its only on the UK site, there probably aren't that many people who've seen it.

I'll let everyone know how it looks when I have a chance to go through it, hopefully sometime soon.
oh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Jan. 05 2007,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 05 2007,10:32)]This guy is like Tupac lol

You mean adrian is a no talent dead black man?
You left out the part about him living in Cuba with Elvis after faking his death.
jestera.gif

what are you talking about of course theirs a new book, we have all known about it. I dont know why no one but a few people have really spoke up.

I have this book, its a good book. Dont give it away for those who dont have it yet.

You sure you ain't thinking of Barry Rice's new one, NEP-AK??

That one was pretty much common knowledge but I thought Adrian Slack had passed away and didn't expect any new offereings from him anytime soon
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Jan. 07 2007,9:59)]You sure you ain't thinking of Barry Rice's new one, NEP-AK??

That one was pretty much common knowledge but I thought Adrian Slack had passed away and didn't expect any new offereings from him anytime soon
biggrin.gif
I was hoping I could find a used copy of the book from the 80s, apparently the last time it was printed, but then this new one cropped up on the UK Amazon site. Says it's been out since Sept. 2006, that's all I know about it. Still haven't had time to read through it and since I don't have the original it'll be hard to really compare them. I'd still like a copy of the original if I can find it at a reasonable price someday.

Oh, I was just trying to clear up Nep-AKs dismissive post, if there IS a reprint of Slacks work, it would likely be of interest to a lot of folks here, thanks for bringing it up, here's hoping you're not far from an affordable copy
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Jan. 07 2007,11:25)]Oh, I was just trying to clear up Nep-AKs dismissive post, if there IS a reprint of Slacks work, it would likely be of interest to a lot of folks here, thanks for bringing it up, here's hoping you're not far from an affordable copy
biggrin.gif
There's no if really. I bought the book, it's for sale right now on amazon.co.uk. Search for Adrian Slack, look for the re-titled book. It's cheap too.
woot.gif

Just a note, it's not just a reprint but supposedly updated with more species.

I tried looking for it on the US Amazon and did not get a hit, either with his name or the title. Might be just a UK thing.

Hey Folks,

My understanding is that this is a repacking of his first book. But I may be wrong as I haven't seen it.

I've got both of Slack's books. They're great---you should have them too. Slack is part of our CP heritage, and its cool to read about his cultivation methods and approaches. Remember, he did his stuff pre-internet, back when CPers were verrrryyyy rare indeed.

B

And they were probably thought of as crazy..er than today lol

I tried looking for it on the US Amazon and did not get a hit, either with his name or the title. Might be just a UK thing.

Correct, it is just a UK thing (I don't know why though). You can only find it on amazon.co.uk, however, it is fairly inexpensive to ship to the US from them (and you don't have to pay VAT either). The book is not the original reprinted, it apparently has more color photos and from what I can tell about 20 more pages (if the counts for the old and new versions are correct). There's a note in the book about the photos... (taken from Amazon):

From the Inside Flap

First published as Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them, the original guide, became essential reading for enthusiasts, nurseries and botantical gardens. Now back in print, Adrian Slack’s unique approach on over 200 species from 15 genera has been specially re-designed and reproduced in full colour.

Check it out. I've only had a little time to go through it, but so far I'm liking it. Seems to be pretty detailed, which I was hoping for. I can't vouch for all sections of the book, but the VFT portion was pretty comprehensive. :hail:

So nobody else has this particular edition of the book but me? I can't be the only one. I hope not anyway. :-(

Back