What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here keep silkworms

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
Joseph,

Mulberry is considered a noxious here so you can not get our hands on them. (Of course it seems everything is illegal here including my very obviously captive bred snake because it is of a species that is native to the state, but I digress.) Going with the chow is fine for me right now, depending on how things go I might shot to get my hands on mulberry later.

Rattler,

The isopods were going to be for the A. morletii I had. Unfortunatly they all expired so...

Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera), a relative of Mulberry, that is native to the USA is also a viable food for silkworms. Perhaps you could grow them, or have some you can harvest foliage from

I was not aware that the Osage orange was a viable food source. I think I have one near the community pond. I will have to check. Thanks for that tip.

I've read every page on there about how to make silk. Looks easy enough to me.

If I was into crafts I'd like to do that.

Easy? You can do it, but selling it at competetive prices would be difficult.
Remember the forgotton, long gone american silk industry.

If I did do it I wouldn't sell it lol. I'd make miniature Wizard hats for male sugar gliders.

Lmao, man I'm cracking up over here lmao! Oooh boy lol oh my chest hurts lmao

Lol, I never knew we had a silk industry. Hey maybe the sack Georgie Porchie crawled out of is what put an end to the industry lmao

Oh my head lmao

Thats why we have gypsy moths- an attempt to breed a better silkworm for the americas[gone wrong]. Google american silk industry

Thanks Chrono, that link had some really funny stuff in it. I am still laughing.

Lol, no problem. I liked the "vegetarian piranha" comment. :p

I've raises polyphemous(sp?) moths before and when I see all those caterpillars in those containers the only thing that goes through my head is... "Think of all the poop!" xD

Back