What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New forum.. troubles? Questions? Sugestions? do it here!

Everyone can stop posting, andy has fixed everything! :)

I'd have to say that the forum definately needs a color scheme. :p

Also, whats with the little blank topic thing(if you hover over replies it says "default")? It kind of adds to the bulkiness of the posts.

Other than that, its pretty good!

Default is the name of that little icon :) if you change your post icon when you make a post.. it will be different.. so how mine is different? if you mouse over it, you will see the name of that icon. (..slowly learning!) haha

Couple of tips:

You can refer to a single message rather than an entire thread, when reading the messages notice the "#xx" in the upper right of the message. Just right click on it and copy the link location and then you can paste it into your message/reply like so:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806247&postcount=15

Okay, on the main index suppose you don't give a fig about non-carnivorous plants and never read messages in that section. Just click on the button in the section title bar on the right and it will collapse the section so you don't see the sub-sections.

Sure. Do the hyperlinks allow alternate text display? Alternate Text

Yes, they do, but I had to add the modified code manually. So far, this editing does not automatically create the code for alternate text display.

Last edited:
The normal markups that work usually with vBulletin (e.g. {URL=http://www.test.org}test{/URL} ) doesn't seem to work (substitute the curly brackets with square ones).

zoop

This works. Just differently then you're used to. You type out whatever you want to type. As I have here. Then, this is what I want the link to be. So you highlight that, with your mouse.. Then click the link button above, and enter the url (I'll use this topic's url)
hope that helps.
Andrew

The normal markups that work usually with vBulletin (e.g. {URL=http://www.test.org}test{/URL} ) doesn't seem to work (substitute the curly brackets with square ones).

zoop

Sure it does, but you need to add the code text when you are not in WYSIWYG mode. That's just what I did in the post just prior to your post.

I also discovered that in advanced mode when you add a link it takes the URL and then enters that into the edit window with the text highlighted so you just need to type the alternate text you wish to use and the alt text link is created.

Last edited:
New forum looks snazzy. what is this...font selection, paragraph indents,(Those weren't there before were they?) Way cool, I'm gonna' have to look into my controll panel and see what other wonders lie ahead. awesome guys:bigthumpup:

(Oh, the link to the forgot my password form that you guys sent to my email account didn't work. It said something about how the url wasn't available. I was a little scared at first but then I figured out how to access the form directly from the homepage. Did anyone else have this problem?) You may want to post an announcement about how to get into your account so slow people like me don't panic.)

Beside's that everything look great
:)
-peace

-Gabe

Sure it does, but you need to add the code text when you are not in WYSIWYG mode. That's just what I did in the post just prior to your post.

I also discovered that in advanced mode when you add a link it takes the URL and then enters that into the edit window with the text highlighted so you just need to type the alternate text you wish to use and the alt text link is created.

That's exactly what I was doing, non-WYSIWYG mode, advanced mode. It highlights the text, I typed in the text but when I saved or previewed it tells me that the message text is too long even though it was only 40 characters or so. ???

That's curious. I must look into this some more.

(Oh, the link to the forgot my password form that you guys sent to my email account didn't work. It said something about how the url wasn't available. I was a little scared at first but then I figured out how to access the form directly from the homepage. Did anyone else have this problem?) You may want to post an announcement about how to get into your account so slow people like me don't panic.)

Beside's that everything look great
:)
-peace

-Gabe

that was a temp problem after i sent the email i changed something and forgot something else. I"m glad you figured it out... but it should be fixed now.

That's curious. I must look into this some more.

I was thinking maybe ending the URL with a slash "/" was throwing off the syntax parser in the editor but taking it out made no difference. Same with the quotes around the URL. I suspect it puts quotes around the URL if it ends with the slash.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured it out yet either.

that was a temp problem after i sent the email i changed something and forgot something else. I"m glad you figured it out... but it should be fixed now.

The "Important! Please read" announcement needs to be changed too:

" Important! please read!
Welcome to the new Terraforums!! Please note, that it is highly likely your password did not convert over. So please use http://terraforums.com/login.php?do=lostpw to get a new password. If your email is old, please contact me and we'll figure out how to get you up and running. terraforums@comcast.net
Thanks! Andrew (adnedarn)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you're right. Edited... THANKS!!!!!!!

Another tip/trick:

In the message editor you can select text and then apply formatting (fonts, size, color, bold, italics, underline, etc.) from the toolbar as you can with a word processor, something you couldn't do in ikonboard.

In the search results, is there any way to place the column "Thread / Thread Starter" right next to the "Forum" column?

It would make screening new posts much easier, as you wouldn't have to swivel your eyes from the far left to the far right just to see to which a category a header belongs.

Thanks!

Hans

hans- I dont' see a quick fix for that.. Probably be some template change. And I'm not quite comfortable with that. Sorry.
Andrew

whats with the little blank topic thing(if you hover over replies it says "default")? It kind of adds to the bulkiness of the posts.

Other than that, its pretty good!
Default is the name of that little icon :) if you change your post icon when you make a post.. it will be different.. so how mine is different? if you mouse over it, you will see the name of that icon. (..slowly learning!) haha
I have removed the forum default. So there will not be a post icon unless someone pics one.

Back