What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner

Just wandering what plant would yall reccommend to a beginner? (Who lives in the panhandle of Florida...)

Any of the SA Drosera except for D. regia.

Any temperate genera/species if you're willing to give it dormancy. (Sarracenia, Dionaea, Drosera, Pinguicula, really any but Darlingtonia unless you can keep the roots cool)

Nepenthes like N. ventricosa, N. alata, N. 'ventrata'. Those are good confidence-builders.

Any terrestrial Utricularia

Most mexican Pinguicula except for a few like P. gypsicola, P. heterophylla (sp?), etc (really only very few aren't suited to a beginner)

like sundews and want something impressive to show ppl..........look for the Drosera binata complex.............they grow like weeds and some get big enough to make yah worry bout the safety of the family pet :grin:

I'd start with the Sarracenia pitcher plants native to your area. They'd be the easiest of the spectacular carnivorous plants. Droseras can be impressive, but a 30" tall pitcher stands out from the pack.

You're in a great location!

Any sarracenia as well as dionaea (venus flytrap) will live outside all year round in perfect conditions. Drosera filiformis is also native to your area, and drosera capensis is probably the easiest of all the carnivorous plants.

Keep them in a sphagnum peat and sharp sand mix and water them with rainwater.

Have you ever visited Apalachicola? A lot of native carnivorous plants to see there.

Ya of course I was talking about me though I am not exactly new to CPs. Just forgot alot of things about CPs and am basically starting all over. Apalichicola? The name seems familiar but I dont think I have been there. Though I have seen ALOT of sundews and pitcherplants living in a river I went swimming in. The Sundews were actually living on the water! They were floating on some moss or whatever and were doing just fine. Though a person who looked over the area (forgot what they are called) has said that people has come down there and illegaly stole plants. :censor:

Oh this convo takes me back :)

Nothing better than going down sideroads to the middle of nowhere and finding CP's :) Unfortunately i've never been to any of the famous sites, other than one of the 4 S. oreophila habitats.

Only thing that's not fun about that is getting stuck in the mud! Alas, that's part of the experience!

Do yall think it would be OK to buy CPs at lows? The main thing I worry is that it is time for dormancy and that they will die after like a week. Wait I am not even sure they sell them at lowes this time of year... Well doesnt matter whatever time I buy them this question goes for anytime of year:should I remove the plant and put it in a new pot? I have bought plants and repotted them following instructions from here and they end up dieing where they did just fine in the cube thingys.

Sure, as long as you get them soon after the shipment comes in and they are healthy. They will all be from TC, and you can skip dormancy this year. Not all lowes plants (D. adelae etc) require a dormancy.

They probably died from a humidity shock/change in light. They would have come back from the roots/rhizomes probably.

Sure, as long as you get them soon after the shipment comes in and they are healthy. They will all be from TC, and you can skip dormancy this year. Not all lowes plants (D. adelae etc) require a dormancy.

They probably died from a humidity shock/change in light. They would have come back from the roots/rhizomes probably.

I ended up digging them up and the rhizome was black and squishy. And are you saying that they would of came back from the roots even with the rhizome like that how it was?:0o:

No, it's rotten. If there is anything healthy, cut it off, treat with fungicide and hope for the best. Or just buy a new one.

The plants I was taking about that happen last summer so too late for that. And if you dont mind could you go to my thread in the pitcherplant section again? TY

Back to plant suggestions. My favorite kind of pitcher plants are purple pitcher plants. I really like them when they get huge and tall. I think I saw a pic of a hybrid that like like a foot or 2 tall. For sundews I also like them when they can get big and colorful. Like the fork leaf sundews.

You may want to consider Drosera capensis, either in the giant form or red form. And also Drosera filiformis var. filiformis "Florida" or "Florida Red" which is native to northern Florida.

The D. capensis does not require dormancy and should be easy to grow. D. capensis is notorious for being overly prolific and many people consider it a weed.

When you said "purple pitcher plant" I thought you meant S. purpurea. They are decumbent and do not grow tall, and this is a perfect time to learn some taxonomy. You've mentioned yellow trumpet, and to me that means S. flava, but may in fact be something entirely different. When you said "forked leaved sundews" , that could mean any of the D. binata complex of plants. "Wooley sundew" could be any of the petiolaris complex.

I don't mean to be anal or anything, and please don't think i'm coming down on you or are mad or anything because i'm not, but it's easier for everyone involved if you can use the proper names.

Back when I was a newb this site helped me out a lot. This link is to the Taxonomy page

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5000.html

And if you want some books, Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry A. Rice (The creator of the faq) and The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato are fabulous.

When you said "purple pitcher plant" I thought you meant S. purpurea. They are decumbent and do not grow tall, and this is a perfect time to learn some taxonomy. You've mentioned yellow trumpet, and to me that means S. flava, but may in fact be something entirely different. When you said "forked leaved sundews" , that could mean any of the D. binata complex of plants. "Wooley sundew" could be any of the petiolaris complex.

I don't mean to be anal or anything, and please don't think i'm coming down on you or are mad or anything because i'm not, but it's easier for everyone involved if you can use the proper names.

Back when I was a newb this site helped me out a lot. This link is to the Taxonomy page

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5000.html

And if you want some books, Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry A. Rice (The creator of the faq) and The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato are fabulous.

I have The Savage Garden and I would like to get Rice's book. Sorry for not using the names I remeber a few of them but I was just getting lazy. I useto know alot about CPs but I forgot what alot of what I learned so I have decided to just start all over. I will be rereading The Savage Garden. Yes I was talking about S.purpera. And in The Savage Garden it has a tall one but it is a hyrbrid. If you have the Savage Garden the page number is page 47 at the far bottom right. I think it saids it is S (purperea x flava) x flava. It may mostly look more like S flava but I like S purperea for their "wideness"(bigness), color, and shape. And by fork leafed I do mean the binata.

Well any suggestions for big beautiful S purpureas or hybrids?

Sarracenia X catesbaei
Sarracenia X exornata
Sarracenia × mitchelliana
Sarracenia × chelsonii
Sarracenia × swaniana
Sarracenia × pureophila

Back